Former Bruins The Blues agree to terms with defenseman Torey Krug on a 7-year contract worth $45.5 million dollars

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With all the discussion that has gone on around here for months and they didn't even tender him an offer. Kinda comical.

Good luck to Torey, I truly wish him well. Well deserved payday but I'm glad he got it elsewhere. It was time to go in a different direction.

I think Torey is a much better fit in St. Louis than he is in Boston.

Reactions: compan and Lil Bert

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I mean, do we buy that they didn't offer him anything? If not why wouldn't they have traded his rights? Unless no one wanted those? Seems reasonably to assume that if 6.5x6 was the offer he would have taken that to stay in Boston if he had any shred of wanting to be here. I think the Bruins didn't want him but left the door open to him just in case and he wanted to get paid and leave. Neither side seems to have really wanted each other to be honest.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Krug was rightfully liking to maximize his opportunity for a big contract. Bruins knew that and what it was going to take and didn’t bother. Krug wasn’t putting the bruins over the top. Best of luck to him but he wasn’t going to fit the teams remodel at that salary.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Torey Krug will be sorely missed on the power play - The Boston Globe

Krug, in a late-evening Zoom presser, said the Bruins offered him a deal to remain here a year ago but subsequently “pulled” it.
“I’m not going to comment on other guys' money situations,” he said, when it was noted the Bruins rarely lose their own players in open-market bidding. "It was pulled for me. I didn’t have an offer, and when they offer me a year ago and then it’s gone…I don’t know what I am expected to do. Just being blunt and being honest with you. Most people don’t share that side of it – but it is what it is.

“I am very thankful for the opportunity [the Bruins] gave me and very thankful for the opportunity that the Blues gave me. And I can’t wait to join this organization and be able to compete for a championship year in and year out. The core here is great and I’m really looking forward to it.”

As midnight approached, Krug was the day’s biggest winner in the NHL’s free-agent fest, cashing in for a total $45.5 million over 7 years (an annual cap hit of $6.5M). It’s virtually the same annual payout the Bruins were rumored of late to offer Krug — though, per Krug, the offer was pulled.
If the Bruins offered five years at $6.5M per, that left Krug $13 million the richer for swapping the Zakim for the Arch. Not much decision to make there from a financial basis, no matter how nicely the lights glow at night on the Zakim. The hue of green was much deeper on the Arch.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Good for Krug, he deserves it. He’s been one of my favourite Bruins since the first time I watched him play. He’s been a warrior for this team and I’m sad to see him go. I have no doubt we’re going to miss him.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Babajingo

upload_2020-10-10_9-33-8.png

"Excellent, 45 million I get to keep"

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I mean, do we buy that they didn't offer him anything? If not why wouldn't they have traded his rights? Unless no one wanted those? Seems reasonably to assume that if 6.5x6 was the offer he would have taken that to stay in Boston if he had any shred of wanting to be here. I think the Bruins didn't want him but left the door open to him just in case and he wanted to get paid and leave. Neither side seems to have really wanted each other to be honest.

From the sounds of the Athletic article today St Louis was the only team interested. Krug's agent told him to "expect an offer out of left field" and that's what happened.

They didn't trade his rights because nobody wanted him. Detroit was never signing him at that kind of money and the Bruins made their offer last summer and he refused it... Don't cry when they don't want you back.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you reject a team’s best offer why does the team have to let you know they’re going in a different direction? Isn’t that kind of assumed when you reject a team’s best offer?

I think this is right- whatever the chronology of offers and such, there was an offer on the table that the team thought was fair (and what do you know, it was about as good as what he signed for in STL less a year so it wasn't an insulting one) and he didn't want to know about it. I guess that told them all they needed to know and they moved on. Not really the Bruins fault if Torey decided the market wasn't as hot for him as he hoped and wanted to revisit the earlier offer and they had made alternate plans.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Best of luck Torey. Great player in Boston. That injury to the shoulder took his shot away. I remember the first few games he played. Blasting away from the point. That went away after surgery. Still a great player.

Reactions: BruinDust

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'm surprised the Blues signed a player who's not 6'5 and doesn't have bolts in his neck

All the best to Torey and his family

...but **** the Blues

Reactions: Dr Hook

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
From the sounds of the Athletic article today St Louis was the only team interested. Krug's agent told him to "expect an offer out of left field" and that's what happened.

They didn't trade his rights because nobody wanted him. Detroit was never signing him at that kind of money and the Bruins made their offer last summer and he refused it... Don't cry when they don't want you back.

I find it hard to believe not many teams were interested in Krug though.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
While Tampa controlled the play throughout most of the Final, they still relied heavily on their power play for goals. So I am a bit concerned about the B's PP minus Krug.

At the same time, Hedman quarterbacked their PP, who also is stellar defensively. With Krug there is a tradeoff there, especially in the playoffs where the physical play ratchets up.

But it is ironic that Larry Robinson sort of bragged about how the Blues beat Boston by playing rough against Krug (dirty, actually) and then St. Louis signs to him to a lucrative contract.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think this is right- whatever the chronology of offers and such, there was an offer on the table that the team thought was fair (and what do you know, it was about as good as what he signed for in STL less a year so it wasn't an insulting one) and he didn't want to know about it. I guess that told them all they needed to know and they moved on. Not really the Bruins fault if Torey decided the market wasn't as hot for him as he hoped and wanted to revisit the earlier offer and they had made alternate plans.
While Tampa controlled the play throughout most of the Final, they still relied heavily on their power play for goals. So I am a bit concerned about the B's PP minus Krug.

At the same time, Hedman quarterbacked their PP, who also is stellar defensively. With Krug there is a tradeoff there, especially in the playoffs where the physical play ratchets up.

But it is ironic that Larry Robinson sort of bragged about how the Blues beat Boston by playing rough against Krug (dirty, actually) and then St. Louis signs to him to a lucrative contract.

To compete with TB they need an elite dman and that
is AP. He is the closest thing to Hedman available
and he costs cap only. Use Carlo, Moore, and Kase
to help pay for him. Boston should bring Z back at $1M.

Griz McAvoy
Lauzon AP
Chara Clifton
Vaak Zboril

That D costs $22M

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

Griz McAvoy
Lauzon AP
Chara Clifton
Vaak Zboril

That D costs $22M
AP is not even an option. Sweeney said himself he has t even contacted his agent so we can scratch that

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What board am I on? Because the Bruins HF board has wanted rid of this guy for years and would have murdered Sweeney if he made an offer anywhere near $6.5m/6

And I would have been at the head of that line. Krug's not worth what the Blues signed him for now and he certainly won't be at the end of this deal

Reactions: kjpm and Aeroforce

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Griz McAvoy
Lauzon AP
Chara Clifton
Vaak Zboril

That D costs $22M

I wouldn't bring back Chara, but would love AP here. I don't think he comes though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad