Former Bruins The Blues agree to terms with defenseman Torey Krug on a 7-year contract worth $45.5 million dollars

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
As much as I am glad he didn’t sign for that amount and years Sweeney looks to have handled it extremely bad and it’s not a good look when you’re trying to attract a Free Agent.
We literally had another guy that wanted to come here that would fit the needs of the team and they couldn't close it. I think management is not having a lot of good looks right now.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As much as I am glad he didn’t sign for that amount and years Sweeney looks to have handled it extremely bad and it’s not a good look when you’re trying to attract a Free Agent.

What do you mean?

DS was not interested to extend him at the price Krug was looking for. The Bruins made a short term offer last year and Krug balked at it (I dont blame him)

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
What do you mean?

DS was not interested to extend him at the price Krug was looking for. The Bruins made a short term offer last year and Krug balked at it (I dont blame him)
He should have at least talked to him and said we are moving in a different direction. Just literally not saying a thing is not a good look at all

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He should have at least talked to him and said we are moving in a different direction. Just literally not saying a thing is not a good look at all

Yup. Sweeney should be more clear. But the guy is a walking middleground

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think letting Krug go was the right decision, as long as Sweeney takes that money and uses it for good instead of evil, but it's still sad to see the 'former' in the thread title. Torey's one of those guys that sets the culture of a team and draws your attention more that his diminutive stature and natural ability would suggest. A real fighter. Clearly he impressed the Blues in the SCFs last year and rightly so - they targeted him all series and he never backed down. Puts the lie to those who claimed afterwards that they had him jumping at shadows by the end. You don't give $45 mil to a guy who you don't think can stand up under pressure. Curious to see how he fares on a revamped St Louis blueline.

bbfan1972

Repeat
Aug 25, 2007
Waterloo
Krug must’ve wanted out of Boston if he turned down 6.5 x 6 from the Bruins. That’s more money than what the Blues signed him for considering the term.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
after being mostly against him the majority of his career {I always gave him his due as an elite pp qb}
this guy slowly became one of my favorites mostly after a great playoff run last year

also love his twitter banter with marchand

that said... I have seen many favorite players leave boston over the years and very few of them make me regret it. we are the best managed cap in hockey because we are able to say goodbye to guys like lucic and boychuck before we get stuck in long term deals at insane money.

I am going to predict a buyout for mr krug after say... year 4... but I think he has 2 good years left where a lot of bruin fans will be crying that he is the reason we lost a game in December or January.

I dont wish this guy anything but happiness in his future... he worked his butt off to be a decent player for us. it was sad he was a little too small to ever become an above average defender at 5x5 or useful at all on the pk.

they say if he was 6'2 he could have been a number 1 dman on any team... and I believe that. but he will never be 6'2 and he will soon be 30 years old. father time takes a half step away from everyone. if krug loses his 1/2 step then those plays the currently get through will suddenly be defended and once his offense dries up theres nothing else in his game that will warrant spending this money on him

thanks for all the memories krug… that hit you through against st louis was epically awesome

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krug must’ve wanted out of Boston if he turned down 6.5 x 6 from the Bruins. That’s more money than what the Blues signed him for considering the term.

according to the legend... boston possibly made the offer last year before covid.
krugs side says no new offers were made after the covid effect hit
krugs side says they did attempt to get that offer from boston now... and boston rejected it

I think its very possible this is all accurate... giving him that offer now would be completely insane. someone who makes their opinions based on the highlight film and the stat sheet might be ok giving him a 7 year deal at 6 mill... but NO ONE that watched him play everynight can think this is a good idea. under the new economics of hockey {it was actually pretty dumb even under the old economics}

Reactions: JOKER 192

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Great player but I'd rather have bigger bodies back on defense. He put up points but was and is a liability at the same time and easily exploited in the playoffs by good teams that have the first change.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Tough to see him go - losing a big piece of the heart of this team. Got to think they knew it and that played a role in bringing Miller back.

Also tough that it’s St Louis. He was the one bright spot memory of that Cup final for Boston now even that’s got a blue shadow over it.

The writing was on the wall with them bringing in Zech and Ahcan while still flush with d prospects on the verge and the big club packed with smaller blueliners. Don’t see them signing here without a clear and trusted message from Sweeney that there were going to be opportunities.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What would you have offered him

I would have given him the 6.5 x 7. The Bruins are f***ed post Bergeron. Coyle-Studnicka-X-X. That's not even close to good enough.

Krug makes the Bruins better in 2021 and really that's all the matters. Ride out this core and then embrace the inevitable crater that Don himself created. Hope Don nor Cam are around to clean up that mess.

Krug would be a great guy to have teach the next era of Bruins how to work hard to get to your best. He's a good enough leader to wear on C on a lot of teams.

Reactions: Hali33

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would have given him the 6.5 x 7. The Bruins are f***ed post Bergeron. Coyle-Studnicka-X-X. That's not even close to good enough.

Krug makes the Bruins better in 2021 and really that's all the matters. Ride out this core and then embrace the inevitable crater that Don himself created. Hope Don nor Cam are around to clean up that mess.

Krug would be a great guy to have teach the next era of Bruins how to work hard to get to your best. He's a good enough leader to wear on C on a lot of teams.
He would have taken 6/40 I am certain but appear have decided long ago he wasn’t being resigned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad