Post-Game Talk: The Bloodbath, Revisited

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well that was ugly. Not really a single redeeming quality about the whole thing.

But at the same time, I figure it's right after the deadline, it's only the third horrendous loss in 60+ games, and two of them have been against a team that's had their number for a few years now. So not forgiven, but not completely unexpected.

Really, I'm less concerned with losing 8-1 than with how they respond to it. Three days off to let that embarrassment fester; let's see how they do in Arizona.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Larkin getting bullied at the end of the game and everyone is just standing around. That was the worst part of the entire game.

I know these guys weren’t on the ice but Larkin mixes it up way too much when you have Abdelkader, Witowski and Ericsson on the roster.

Those guys aren’t good hockey players; so if they can’t even act as deterrents, it further diminishes their already limited use.

And make no mistake, I’m glad fighting is not as prevalent in the gams. But at a certain point these guys should be stepping up to answer the bell for the rest of these kids. It’s a shame that if we are to bad saddled with an awful D that it isn’t McIllrath. At least he answers the bell when needed.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Blashill said in an interview before the game that he's sick of montreal heaving their number

and then his team comes out and plays like that

nice

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Larkin getting bullied at the end of the game and everyone is just standing around. That was the worst part of the entire game.

Yea that was embarrassing. Brought back memories of the gutless Wings teams of the past. How often do you see the team trashing 8-1 actually be the aggressor for that stuff?

This Wings team is tanking straight to the bottom.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I can understand and excuse the loss aspect of the game but not the part where Montreal was allowed to take runs at Larkin and Hronek unanswered.

That's what happens when you have an organization against fighting. Witkowski finally gets game time, you think he will go against organization rules so he can sit another 10 games?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't understand this anger about the Larkin tussle. He was taking swings at people's ankles. If he's doing shit like that, he'd better be comfortable answering for it. Or are we trying to say it's OK for him to engage in a little stickwork and then hide behind Witkowski? Nah. If he chooses to play that way he should be able accept the consequences.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This year they compete ,unlike last one. If team start playing defense first they will start winning.But for this they need better coaching staff. We're going to have nice draft,hope KH will do a lot of homework

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

As much as I am upset that Larkin was in that position, he did get himself into that situation by how he went at Kulak earlier in the game with his slashing. This is basically the same thing that happened with Mantha and Giroux, in my opinion. Giroux acted like a little shit, Mantha took exception, and then responded. The result was having to meet with Simmonds for a fight the following game. In this case, Larkin was being a little shit (if you can't say this about your own team, then you shouldn't be saying it at all) which I can totally understand with how much he wears his emotions on his sleeve and how terrible the team was playing. Kulak responded, Larkin kind of handled his own business. Now the next time we play Montreal I would expect someone like Ericsson or Abdelkader or Witkowski to handle things the same way Simmonds did, and if they don't, then I will have a bigger issue.

The worst part of the game was literally the entire game. I'm not sure I've have seen a more disorganized, careless, and pathetic attempt at hockey from this team. Between Hronek's gaffs giving the puck away in the offensive zone, or Dekeyser's passes to nobody in particular and finding a way to not make offensive chances difficult, to Green being completely disinterested, or Abdelkader being completely unable to carry the puck on his own, to Athanasiou barreling into the offensive zone into 3 opposing jerseys and losing the puck, to Ericsson being dusted on a rush along the boards, to Helm being completely unaware of the trailing man's position. Everything was horrendous.

I know you didn't mention this at all in your post, so don't take this as me responding to you, this is more of a generic response to the board. I don't think that sending Zadina down is the right thing to do, mainly because I think the kinks will work themselves out after the trade deadline. I know people think that this is a damaging arrangement for him to have to experience, but it would send a 100x worse message if you send him down after he has played so well to earn this opportunity, and since coming up he hasn't been bad and as a matter of fact he was the only player on the ice who looked like he wanted to respond to the beat down. He was busting ass, finishing checks, backchecking and forechecking relentlessly, creating turnovers, getting pucks on net. Is that the message we want to send? "Hey, you played really well, that type of game will help us win, but because the team is playing so bad we think it is best for you to go back to Grand Rapids." This is his tryout to prove that he deserves to be with this team and we have people wanting to end it after 2 games because the team is bad? News flash, the team has been bad all year. Let the team free fall, it's what most of the fan base wants anyways. Let Zadina prove he belongs. Let Blashill get his team back to playing the way they were all season. If it doesn't happen, then maybe Holland axes the extension talk.

This was the worst game we have played all year long from an engagement level perspective. It was miserable to watch, but I think it hardly tells the story of the season, and I expect we will see some fires lit under the asses of players on Saturday.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't know what you guys expect to happen with the Larkin thing.

Kulak dragged him into a fight with 5 minutes left in the game. He didn't ask politely. Do you want Witkowski to jump off the bench and shove himself between the two? Or should he have beaten his ass in the away dressing room after the game?

An appropriate response will be for Witkowski to go after Kulak in their next game. Beyond that, there wasn't really anything to be done.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Witkowski was covering no one on the 5th goal. He doesn't belong in the NHL. I don't give a f*** about how many callups you have left, you should have Ehn playing in the NHL. Helm, Abdelkader and Witkowski do not belong in the NHL. The vets are so bad, Howard was obviously terrible, being pulled in 3 of his last 4 games. Helm was daydreaming on Shaw's first goal. Our veteran defensemen are largely well past their sell by date. The entire team goes for a line change while Green is alone behind his net and doesn't have the awareness to not turn over the puck behind his own net for the 6th goal.

So yeah, it's been great paying a premium for veteran leadership and then watch the vets largely be responsible for an 8-1 beatdown. #ThanksKenny

I liked Athanasiou at center. He probably didn't do so hot in the faceoff circle but he was able to get some good scoring chances. The only time we spent any time in the offensive zone was when the Larkin or Atahanasiou lines were out there. I also think Zadina did reasonably well. As Mickey said he was able to use his skating to create separation and get shots on net. I'm fine with limiting his play in order to not burn a year on his ELC but it's yet another sign that paying a premium for vets who add absolutely nothing in order to keep a young guy down isn't helping the franchise in any way.

I don't have any strong feelings on Bowey just yet. He can skate and I have trouble blaming him for the 2nd goal after his turnover. As Mickey pointed out we had 4 guys back and then Helm basically zoned out and let Shaw get great position to score on a fluky bounce. If Helm is actually covering him going to the net it's less likely that Shaw scores there.

Reactions: taliababa

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Witkowski was covering no one on the 5th goal. He doesn't belong in the NHL. I don't give a **** about how many callups you have left, you should have Ehn playing in the NHL. Helm, Abdelkader and Witkowski do not belong in the NHL. The vets are so bad, Howard was obviously terrible, being pulled in 3 of his last 4 games. Helm was daydreaming on Shaw's first goal. Our veteran defensemen are largely well past their sell by date. The entire team goes for a line change while Green is alone behind his net and doesn't have the awareness to not turn over the puck behind his own net for the 6th goal.

So yeah, it's been great paying a premium for veteran leadership and then watch the vets largely be responsible for an 8-1 beatdown. #ThanksKenny

I liked Athanasiou at center. He probably didn't do so hot in the faceoff circle but he was able to get some good scoring chances. The only time we spent any time in the offensive zone was when the Larkin or Atahanasiou lines were out there. I also think Zadina did reasonably well. As Mickey said he was able to use his skating to create separation and get shots on net. I'm fine with limiting his play in order to not burn a year on his ELC but it's yet another sign that paying a premium for vets who add absolutely nothing in order to keep a young guy down isn't helping the franchise in any way.

I don't have any strong feelings on Bowey just yet. He can skate and I have trouble blaming him for the 2nd goal after his turnover. As Mickey pointed out we had 4 guys back and then Helm basically zoned out and let Shaw get great position to score on a fluky bounce. If Helm is actually covering him going to the net it's less likely that Shaw scores there.

Helm most definitely belongs in the NHL. So what he was on the ice for a goal against that was his fault, every single player has that happen. Abdelkader I agree, with, but Helm is 100% not a reason we are at the bottom. If we were a good team, he is exactly the type of guy you want on your 3rd line. You people are way to hard on Helm, and calling out his compete, when he is one of our hardest working players. Larkin, Glendening, Bertuzzi and Helm have no compete issues.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great idea, pair our best player with two guys who don't belong in the NHL. :smh:

Yeah... do you want us to win or tank?

It doesn't matter who Larkin plays with the last 20 games. He has already proven for all of us to be a heck of hockeyplayer and future leader. Now he just needs some protection.

Put other kids of the depleted defence with better players, so they can have some taste of better hockey.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah... do you want us to win or tank?

It doesn't matter who Larkin plays with the last 20 games. He has already proven for all of us to be a heck of hockeyplayer and future leader. Now he just needs some protection.

Put other kids of the depleted defence with better players, so they can have some taste of better hockey.
I agree with you ,but for different reason. Larkin make players around him better. He has unstoppable drive. Ltd have other good players to step up in different line combination. Let's have other lines who can compete

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I liked Athanasiou at center. He probably didn't do so hot in the faceoff circle but he was able to get some good scoring chances. The only time we spent any time in the offensive zone was when the Larkin or Atahanasiou lines were out there.

I think with time Athanasiou will grow into the role of center, but he desperately needs to learn that he doesn't have to do everything on his own. Every game he has moments where he just plunges into the zone with a full head of steam and tries to take on the entire opposite team. Every game he has moments where we have a chance to set up an offensive zone possession and he carries the puck on his stick way too long and gets corralled and forced into a giveaway. He needs to learn by watching Larkin and how Larkin uses his linemates as much as he does. Even if he is using them to set himself up, Larkin has a great understanding of how the amount of time the puck on his stick in an offensive zone set isn't always a good thing. If AA wants to be a top 6 center, he needs to work on his ability to facilitate his wingers, who are going to be there to produce offense. Zadina is supposed to be the elite level goal scorer, if you are going to center his line, you have to let Zadina's strengths shine through. If AA wants to be the one man show who is responsible for scoring and nothing else, then he should accept the role as a 3rd line winger who presents matchup problems.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
search

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad