The "Blake Wheeler" of 2007

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Akim Aliu?? maybe?

wasnt really expected to go first round but has turned some heads of late. Similar size to Wheeler and similar skill set as well. The only difference between the 2 i woiuld say is that Wheeler has a good head on his shoulders, disciplined, smart with puck. Meanwhile, Aliu is a loose cannon, short temper, and his head isnt there

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
He's 10x the player as Sjostrom is. Smarter, more physical, better offensive skills, etc.

I'm guessing RT is referring to both being blazingly fast and heart/n/soul players.

FYI, only Shane Doan is more physical than Sjostrom on the Coyotes who is also top 10 in the NHL for blocked shots. If Sweatt is 10x the player then I guess he looks like this....

fantastic-four-wallpaper-1.jpg

http://www.moviemaze-wallpaper.de/t...f7edc7aef7546d/fantastic-four-wallpaper-1.jpg

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Colton Gillies ??

That would be my guess as well. If anyone goes off the board(like there really is one set in stone for this draft ;) ) I think that a guy like Gilles who has the physical tools, and not quite the game yet(like Wheeler when drafted) he would be it.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The difference between Gillies and Wheeler is that, while Gillies was ranked highly early on and fell due to a lack of offensive output, Wheeler put up huge numbers (albeit in high school as opposed to the CHL) but steadily rose through the course of the year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The difference between Gillies and Wheeler is that, while Gillies was ranked highly early on and fell due to a lack of offensive output, Wheeler put up huge numbers (albeit in high school as opposed to the CHL) but steadily rose through the course of the year.

Correct. However, both will be drafted on the physical attributes more than their hockey skills

krabby

Feb 17, 2007
you may still want him, but I am sure given a do-over, the yotes would take about a dozen players ahead of him.... no GM is that stupid.... twice

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
There might be 3 or 4 you'd take over Wheeler, but you can't name for me a dozen guys. Wheeler was drafted as a project, and he has met expectations at every level so far. You're holding on to old suppositions if you think he's a bust.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wheeler just won the WCHA game in OT, and was named tournament MVP. Definitely not a bust.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Akim Aliu?? maybe?

wasnt really expected to go first round but has turned some heads of late. Similar size to Wheeler and similar skill set as well. The only difference between the 2 i woiuld say is that Wheeler has a good head on his shoulders, disciplined, smart with puck. Meanwhile, Aliu is a loose cannon, short temper, and his head isnt there

Aliu just got dismissed from his team, didn't he? You're right that he's turning heads, but he's turning them off. Obviously Aliu has a tremendous skillset but there's no chance in hell he's a first rounder, let alone top 10.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Definitely too early to tell. Last I checked, players were judged to be busts or not based on their NHL performance, not their WCHA performance.
I agree but doesn't seem to stop so many from labeling the kid a bust at every corner. At the least, his performance in the WCHA Tournament shows he's still tracking fairly well. Only time will tell but that goes for the nay sayers just as much as the homers!!!!

btw...I have to add that it was one sweet, sweet goal! It's not like he just scored an OT winner. It was a freakin great goal. Definitely sealed him the tournament MVP, though I suppose a hat trick the night before didn't hurt either. :D

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
I agree but doesn't seem to stop so many from labeling the kid a bust at every corner. At the least, his performance in the WCHA Tournament shows he's still tracking fairly well. Only time will tell but that goes for the nay sayers just as much as the homers!!!!

btw...I have to add that it was one sweet, sweet goal! It's not like he just scored an OT winner. It was a freakin great goal. Definitely sealed him the tournament MVP, though I suppose a hat trick the night before didn't hurt either. :D

I agree, it's been hard to judge him. First 1/2 season looked like he improved leaps and bounds from last yr, real dominating. Second 1/2 pretty non-existent.

Now in the last 2 games of the WCHA playoffs he looks like what I saw in the 1st half. His goal is #2 on the ESPN daily top ten.

Also, anyone that saw the ND-UM game last night really saw some great NCAA playoff hockey!!
:handclap: :yo:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Goalie Jeremy Smith of the Plymouth Whalers could crack in the top 30.

He'll definitely be a reach there, but he's the best goalie in this draft.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Definitely too early to tell. Last I checked, players were judged to be busts or not based on their NHL performance, not their WCHA performance.

It's too early to say he'll be a good player, but there's absolutely no reason to call him a bust yet, which is what I think XavierX was saying.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
I agree, it's been hard to judge him. First 1/2 season looked like he improved leaps and bounds from last yr, real dominating. Second 1/2 pretty non-existent.

Now in the last 2 games of the WCHA playoffs he looks like what I saw in the 1st half. His goal is #2 on the ESPN daily top ten.

Also, anyone that saw the ND-UM game last night really saw some great NCAA playoff hockey!!
:handclap: :yo:

For those that haven't seen it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EuepVP-NBrs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad