Music: The Bill Laswell Thread.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Mandingo - New World Power
Bill Laswell Discography

Foday Musa Suso - The Dreamtime
Bill Laswell Discography

+ Some other's with no clips available from 1990, Some are on Bandcamp.
Bill Laswell

Ronald Shannon Jackson - Taboo
Bill Laswell Discography

Neils(Jensen) and the New York Street Percussionists
Bill Laswell Discography

Mandinka & Fulani Music of Gambia - Ancient Heart
Bill Laswell Discography

Shankar - Soul Searcher
Bill Laswell Discography

Minako Yoshida - Gazer
Bill Laswell Discography

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Axiom Records
axiom1.jpg

Easily the biggest and most well-known of Bill Laswell's labels. Starting at the tail-end of the '80s, this label had the backing of Chris Blackwell and Island Records allowing for some bigger budget recordings.
Right after Blackwell sold Island to Polygram and for whatever reason, the timing seemed right to propose such a label. Without this kind of backing, many of these projects would never have happened.
THE Bill Laswell Pages

Material - Reality (CD single)
Bill Laswell Discography

Material - The Third Power
Bill Laswell Discography

AXIOM Collection:Illuminations
Bill Laswell Discography

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
The legendary group (mentioned on the last page) Painkiller's first release was also in 1991. The trio is -
John Zorn(Naked CityMr.bungle,Masada,Cobra)-Sax
Bill Laswell - Bass
Mick Harris(Napalm Death,Scorn,Quoit,The Weakener) - Drums
A-69896-1252751211.jpeg.jpg

Painkiller - Guts of a Virgin
Bill Laswell Discography

This is Naked City(John Zorn) and Scorn(Mick Harris) Bill Laswell is not part of these.....Also this John Zorn's label, Tzadik, with a huge number of releases.
Welcome to Tzadik

Naked City

Scorn

Slntwtchr

Feb 10, 2019
Saw Zorn live like 6 or 7 times on different projects. I think I only saw Laswell once, a quartet with Zorn, Frith and Dave Lombardo - probably my weakest Zorn show.

Yeah - that lineup did maybe 4 shows in 99/2000. In the last few years they’ve reformed as the trio, sans Frith. Bill and Lombardo alsonolayed in SF last week with violinist Dorian Cheah. Whereas the first time around Lombardo seemed a bit tentative and overwhelmed, his drumming has grown immensely. They sound great now.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah - that lineup did maybe 4 shows in 99/2000. In the last few years they’ve reformed as the trio, sans Frith. Bill and Lombardo alsonolayed in SF last week with violinist Dorian Cheah. Whereas the first time around Lombardo seemed a bit tentative and overwhelmed, his drumming has grown immensely. They sound great now.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the info. I'll try and see if I can catch them up at some point!

Timbermen, I'm a little behind on all your posts, but I'll catch up for sure. I'd like to nominate this thread as the best thread ever on HFboards (and don't be fooled by my pseudo-recent entry, I was here long before under another related nickname :) )

Reactions: timbermen

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
That's pretty cool, thanks for the info. I'll try and see if I can catch them up at some point!

Timbermen, I'm a little behind on all your posts, but I'll catch up for sure. I'd like to nominate this thread as the best thread ever on HFboards (and don't be fooled by my pseudo-recent entry, I was here long before under another related nickname :) )
Thank you, It's been fun finding these rarities. I couldn't have made this thread without the use of the The Bill Laswell Pages. Thank you, SilentWatcher, I'd like to nominate that website the best thing on the internet. I found this clip of James 'Blood' Ulmer and Bill Laswell from the Chapel february 7 , 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->