Music: The Bill Laswell Thread.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
This thread commemorates the 40 + year career of bassist/producer Bill Laswell.
'Since the late '70s, Laswell has relentlessly pursued the future with a stunning range of musicians and thinkers. A short list includes Herbie Hancock, Laurie Anderson, Tony Williams, Mick Jagger, Sting, Carlos Santana, John Zorn, the Dalai Lama, Pharoah Sanders, Yoko Ono, John Lydon, Bootsy Collins, Buckethead, Brain, Bernie Worrell, Karsh Kale, Afrika Bambaataa, The Last Poets, Zakir Hussein, Shankar, Ustad Sultan Khan, Sonny Sharrock, Toshinori Kondo, Nona Hendryx, George Clinton, Whitney Houston, Bachir Attar, the Jungle Brothers, William Burroughs, Paul Bowles, Sly & Robbie and dozens more from the Americas, Africa, the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East and Japan. His willingness to take risks is unparalleled in the world of music--as is his ability to unite seemingly disparate voices.
A man in constant motion, Bill Laswell's discography reads like a series of postcards from around the planet.'

THE Bill Laswell Pages

Support the artist on band camp
Bill Laswell

I’ll post a clip of each project if they’re available.
Here's the very first one from 1978 (Laswell on bass)
Michael Blaise and Cheater - Scoring Power
Bill Laswell Discography
http://www.silent-watcher.net/billlaswell/discography/b/clips/ScoringPower.mp3

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
So much stuff to discover in here! The David Moss album looks amazing (what a lineup, weird I never heard of it!)!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Curlew
Bill Laswell Discography

Kip Hanrahan - Coup de Tete
Bill Laswell Discography

Brian Eno/David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Bill Laswell Discography

Just wanted to point out that, per the Discography website, Laswell isn't playing on that particular Hanrahan track (not that it's a bad track either way). And since I quoted the post, I'll add that the Curlew track is great (don't remember hearing it before), but that the Eno one is on the weaker side (not a big fan of him in general). IMO, of course!

Reactions: timbermen

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Just wanted to point out that, per the Discography website, Laswell isn't playing on that particular Hanrahan track (not that it's a bad track either way). And since I quoted the post, I'll add that the Curlew track is great (don't remember hearing it before), but that the Eno one is on the weaker side (not a big fan of him in general). IMO, of course!
Very Good find, I snuck that one in there because i liked it more than the ones with Laswell. It's the only inconsistency so far. It's encouraging you enjoy this thread. You're in for a treat because i'm finding clips for almost every project and we're still at 1984. It will go for months.
Here's one from that album with Laswell on bass.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->