The Biggest "What if"?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I'd have to say Orr. That's simply because I don't believe what a few posters have stated, that we saw Orr's best. Despite his knee deteriorating, we saw his play improve every season. He scored more goals his last full season than any previous season(sixth in the league), led in assists, points and plus/minus all while showing his ever improving defensive abilities, on essentially one good knee. 76 Canada Cup was MVP again on one knee.
No, I don't believe we saw Orr's best years.

Even in 75-76, his last year for the Bruins, he scored 18 points in only 10 games playing through what must have been terrible knee pain. 5 of those points were goals which works out to 40 goals/144 pts over a full 80 game year. For those who say he probably couldn't maintain a 1.8 ppg pace (a career high), I think not playing through injury would have negated any downward trend over a longer period.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Even in 75-76, his last year for the Bruins, he scored 18 points in only 10 games playing through what must have been terrible knee pain. 5 of those points were goals which works out to 40 goals/144 pts over a full 80 game year. For those who say he probably couldn't maintain a 1.8 ppg pace (a career high), I think not playing through injury would have negated any downward trend over a longer period.

I think Orr could have done well on the Ratelle-era Bruins, but not 1.8 pts/game.

I don't think the knee would stop his stats from averaging out over time, and I would say that the schedule helped a little bit.

In those 10 games Orr and Boston had a good run (6-1-3, probably their best run until January and February), albeit against one top team (Isles), four average to good playoff teams (Van, TML, LA Kings, Flames) and five non-playoff teams back when six teams missed the playoffs. I imagine even Bobby Orr would have difficulty scoring on the 76 Habs and Flyers.

Orr's 10 games
Nov 8 @ Canucks 0-2-2 L 2-4
Nov 9 @ Seals 0-3-3 W 6-3
Nov 13 Vs Stars 1-2-3 W 6-0
Nov 15 @ AtlFlames 1-2-3 W 5-3
Nov 16 @ KC Scouts 0-0-0 W 4-2
Nov 19 @ Wings 1-0-1 T 3-3
Nov 20 Vs Isles 0-1-1 T 2-2
Nov 23 Vs Leafs 1-1-2 T 3-3
Nov 25 Vs Kings 0-1-1 W 4-2
Nov 26 @NYR 1-1-2 W 6-4

1976 GA by Team, w/ Pts%
* denotes playoff team

Team GA PTS%
Washington Capitals, 394, 0.2
Kansas City Scouts, 351, 0.225

New York Rangers, 333, 0.419
Minnesota North Stars, 303, 0.294

Pittsburgh Penguins*, 303, 0.513
Detroit Red Wings, 300, 0.388
St. Louis Blues*, 290, 0.45

California Golden Seals, 278, 0.406
Toronto Maple Leafs*, 276, 0.519

League Average, 273, 0.5
Vancouver Canucks*, 272, 0.506
Los Angeles Kings*, 265, 0.531

Chicago Black Hawks*, 261, 0.513
Buffalo Sabres*, 240, 0.656
Atlanta Flames*, 237, 0.513
Boston Bruins*, 237, 0.706

Philadelphia Flyers*, 209, 0.738
New York Islanders*, 190, 0.631
Montreal Canadiens*, 174, 0.794

Seanconn*

I think Mario and Bobby pretty much would have put up by far the second and third best amount of points in NHL stat leaders. Orr could have realistically played up until Gretzky's first or second season (if he had bionic knees) Can you imagine a knee on knee hit on either coming from Bobby or on you, or you hitting Bobby Orr knee to knee... one of the fastest and aggressive players in the history of the game... with the padding they had back then?? it would be insane how much damage that would do.

Mario could have rivalled Gretzky's numbers, Especially if he was retiring in 2005 and was not sick. Mario could have been one of the most injury resistant players due to his size and finesse. And could dominate the "new" NHL, while Gretzky didn't even come close to the lockout. Needless to say, Mario would have been more able to be an elite goalscorer in the current game, sans bossy. Cancer and countless other diseases, how Mario did any of what he did ... like 69 goals, 91 assists in 60 freaking games. Gretzky barely has ANYTHING to compete with that other than 92 goals and 153 assists :D

Orr could have very well been number 3 in points edging out Messier... and blowing to **** what Coffee and Bourque left the league with... with Mario or Gretzky with 1 or 2, with Lemieux verging on 1000 goals. I think Gretzky could have very well remained number one of all time, because he had just SO many damned assists, but if Gretzky retired in 99 still, and Mario had literally just normal type injuries akin to what Wayne encountered in his career, without health problems, had he played to say 2006 or managed to stay until 2007. He would have been inching so close to gretzky's numbers, that I don't think a healthy and motivated Lemieux playing along side Jaromir Jagr for quite a few more games than they did... He would have beat gretzky's numbers, especially if he got a good 2 seasons in with Crosby. ... who might not be a penguin, had mario been healthy.

Forsberg could have definitely been ahead of say Teemu Selanne, or close to Jagr in scoring. He put up tons of assists, but had a great scoring touch when he wasn't being one of the best playmakers on the ice... he could have extended his game had he limited the physicality in the latter years, he was never an elite goal scorer, but was always an elite playmaker, and could physically shield the puck single handedly better than almost any player I have EVER seen.

Lindros, was Lindros. He had all the potential in the world, but I think his ego got ahead of him. All the other guys I've mentioned here sans Mario and Jagr, I wouldn't say they have the biggest egos attatched to their game. Take that away, and have Lindros develop into a more mature player, without injuries, and health problems, Philly would have got a cup already. Lindros would be right up there with all of the names mentioned in this post at the top of the NHL scoring leaders chart.

Seanconn*

Don't think Hasek has anything to do with this list, at least with the omissions of Mike Bossy, and Teemu Selanne, and especially Pavel Bure. Hasek could have been undoubtedly better than he was, had he played on an amazing team like Detroit for his entire career... and would have creamed Roy in stats, Broudeur might have had a few records over Hasek in this injury/perfect NHL career scenario thread :)

Mogilny is a good mention too, personally I think him, Fedorov, and Bure could have came to the NHL as 16/17 year olds, and one of them have would have won the art ross once by the 1992-1995 season had they been allowed to play from that age. They were the last players to be a product of the soviet system, and were in the NHL during their prime. earlier exposure to the NHL, or at least the NA game, and entered into the league the minute they turned 18... they would all have been at the top of the all time greats with insane stats.

Also, had Makarov, Larionov, Fetisov, Kharlamov all been able to defect at their age of eligibility to play in the NHL they would have been some of the best in the NHL's history, had they avoided injury or dying in a car accident.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think Mario and Bobby pretty much would have put up by far the second and third best amount of points in NHL stat leaders. Orr could have realistically played up until Gretzky's first or second season (if he had bionic knees)

He played in 78-79, the year before Gretzky's first in the NHL, and was just 31, so of course it's not a stretch to suggest he'd have played the following season. The question is really how much longer he'd have played.

Given longevity trends of similar caliber players, I think 1985 is a reasonable guess. That would give him a 19-year career.

JoeMalone

Apr 12, 2009
A little bit more left field than other peoples:

What if Bryan Fogarty didn't have substance abuse problems?

Guy was a helluva player, and looked good in early stints with the Nordiques despite being a raging alcoholic.

Guy had the tools and the toolbox. It was the other issues that got in his way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->