The biggest steal in 04´

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hasbro said:
That would be a "reach."

I'm not predicting anything... I'm just asking how you can compare him to Rolston in one post and call him the "opposite of a steal in another."

If Korpikoski turns out to be Rolston caliber then it was a great pick for the Ranger team... it's not like he was a #1 overall pick here - we are talking mid-late 1st round. If you get a legit contributor then you did a nice job.

Prucha73

Barnaby said:
I'm not predicting anything... I'm just asking how you can compare him to Rolston in one post and call him the "opposite of a steal in another."

If Korpikoski turns out to be Rolston caliber then it was a great pick for the Ranger team... it's not like he was a #1 overall pick here - we are talking mid-late 1st round. If you get a legit contributor then you did a nice job.

Opposite of a steal is a reach, not a bust, I guess that's news to you.

Prucha73

Your entire argument makes 0 sense. It's WAY too early to call him a steal or a bust, especially when all hes done is earned the respect of a respected coach who has said glowing things about him.

He is definitely not a bust or a steal, but in my opinion he is a reach, so deal with it.

And yes it is great that Rangers went after someone who they really like, but that doesn't make them right, I don't see too many people praising Coyotes drafting Wheeler 5th overall.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Prucha73 said:
1. he was drafted much higher than he was ever projected

2. he has not done anything yet to indicate he is is a steal

3. Rangers traded up to draft him (one thing to trade up to get a guy who somehow managed to slip, another thing is to trade up to get a guy because there is another team obsessed with him almost as much as you are)

First off, he was high on their list. Secondly, more than one team wanted to select him including Dallas and the Devils. I think the Devils are a good judge of talent. If they wanted him, maybe that's a compliment to our team moving up to get him.

And finally, what's wrong with our team having a hardworking player who can complement other players well and doesn't take shifts off?

One of the Rangers' biggest problems is they don't have enough energy players to complement the skilled types. Korp sounds like he's one of those guys who the fans will love. And the fact he made that TPS roster and is progressing well should be factored into your thinking.

You also have to remember it's year one since he was drafted. He will be in that league for probably two more years to develop. Patience is important.

Prucha73

Kovy274Hart said:
First off, he was high on their list. Secondly, more than one team wanted to select him including Dallas and the Devils. I think the Devils are a good judge of talent. If they wanted him, maybe that's a compliment to our team moving up to get him.

I never heard from anyone but you that Devils wanted Korpikoski, they wanted Zajac and they got him.

And finally, what's wrong with our team having a hardworking player who can complement other players well and doesn't take shifts off?

Nothing wrong with that, be how does that make him a steal?

You also have to remember it's year one since he was drafted. He will be in that league for probably two more years to develop. Patience is important.

I think he will be a good player, but I just don't see much offensive potential as most do, hopefully I am wrong.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Prucha73 said:
Opposite of a steal is a reach, not a bust, I guess that's news to you.

Ok so hes a reach but should be a Rolston type?... that makes no sense but whatever...

Any team would have taken a young Rolston at that pick so maybe I'm not the one missing the point.

Also, how can you constantly criticise a player you havent seen... doubts are fine but your saying you know more from a handful of scouting reports then NHL scouts who have studied this kid?

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Prucha73 said:
I never heard from anyone but you that Devils wanted Korpikoski, they wanted Zajac and they got him.

Actually, a couple of local papers reported the next day that Korpikoski was first on their list over Zajac. They moved up to get Zajac because they didn't want to lose out on both.

Nothing wrong with that, be how does that make him a steal?

Who's calling him a steal here? Did you see me post about him being one? Nobody knows who a steal will be until 3-4 years from now. You already are unfairly labeling him "the opposite of a steal."

Do you have some magic crystal ball that others don't here?

I think he will be a good player, but I just don't see much offensive potential as most do, hopefully I am wrong.

Now, which is it? You think he'll be a good player or the opposite of a steal?

Just curious but have you ever seen any tapes of Korp?

Prucha73

Barnaby said:
Ok so hes a reach but should be a Rolston type?... that makes no sense but whatever...

Any team would have taken a young Rolston at that pick so maybe I'm not the one missing the point.

Also, how can you constantly criticise a player you havent seen... doubts are fine but your saying you know more from a handful of scouting reports then NHL scouts who have studied this kid?

I am not criticizing him, but the fact is he has yet to show he can score on a regular basis on any level of competition. I meant I think he will be somewhere between Rolston and P.J. Axelsson (closer to Axelsson)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
I saw this guy live 9 times, twice last year and 7 times with Green Bay... You can not tell me that guy doens't have hockey sense.

He's the equivalent of a skating doorknob. He really doesn't have an ounce of hoceky sense, IMO.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Who who has seen him play has called him a rolston-type? :dunno:

I doubt he'll ever amount to that much offense and see him more like a Brylin with more flashy stickhandling.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
mattihp said:
Who who has seen him play has called him a rolston-type? :dunno:

I doubt he'll ever amount to that much offense and see him more like a Brylin with more flashy stickhandling.

Just Prucha... who just pulled it out the old arse

Prucha73

mattihp said:
That is actually the same deduction I'd have on it. Rolston? :dunno:

I don't see how Brylin is any better of a comparison. Brylin is small and doesn't really play physical. From every report Korpikoski loves to finish checks, so :dunno: right back at ya.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Prucha73 said:
I don't see how Brylin is any better of a comparison. Brylin is small and doesn't really play physical. From every report Korpikoski loves to finish checks, so :dunno: right back at ya.
well, there's two modes to Korpikoski, one is a Brylin mode in which he doesn't hit much, but rather uses his smarts and his skating to make smart plays for both ways, and then there's the flashy Korpikoski, throwing his body everywhere, while not contributing to much on offense.

Prucha73

Kovy274Hart said:
No. But you asking a question proved my point. You've NEVER seen Korpikoski play yet you're labeling him "opposite of steal" based on no knowledge.

If I had a tape, I'd give an objective analysis.

You make no sense, how does seeing him play would change the fact that he was not a steal? You have to be crazy at this point to even think he was a steal.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So what, this thread degenerated to a few guys who have never seen a guy play debating his prognosis to be a steal when he was picked in the first round?

So far Adam Pineault, David Krejci and Jeff Glass come to mind...with a sprinkling of McGrath and Janne Niskala....

JR#9*

Prucha73 said:
You make no sense, how does seeing him play would change the fact that he was not a steal? You have to be crazy at this point to even think he was a steal.

All I can say is WOW!!! :shakehead

Why this guy insists on commenting on guys with such conviction WHILE NEVER HAVEN SEEN THEM PLAY is just unbelievable!!! :banghead:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
George Bachul said:
So what, this thread degenerated to a few guys who have never seen a guy play debating his prognosis to be a steal when he was picked in the first round?
With the risk of beating a dead horse...

Noone is calling him a steal... I think he could be a good pick - but STEAL is early and overblown.

We are just questioning Prucha's overwhelming conviction that he is a terrible pick with 0 knowledge except a stat sheet and being unable to hear reason that none of us have a real grasp on him yet... except maybe our friendly finninsh posters,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad