The biggest steal in 04´

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Prucha73 said:
no you fail to understand how low his scoring was in juniors last season. I am not bashing Korpikoski because of lack of production this year, but mainly I just doubt his offensive potential based on his lack of scoring in juniors.
Well... I doubt the TPS coaches have inexperience from knowing who is gonna produce and who is not. And them calling Korpikoski one of the fastest developing players they've ever seen is not any jibberish about it being a temporary developing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Prucha73 said:
no you fail to understand how low his scoring was in juniors last season. I am not bashing Korpikoski because of lack of production this year, but mainly I just doubt his offensive potential based on his lack of scoring in juniors.

TPS i probably the best team in Finland when it comes to producing hockey players. Allot of good players stand in line to play for the TPS junior team. Korpikoski played in a U-20 league with players(overage) beeing up to 22-23 y/o last year, thats the biggest reason why he didn´t put allot of points on the boards, combined with his style where he is a better fit as a complimentary player then a go to guy. However Korpikoski was the only junior who made the TPS men´s team.

What I like about Korpikoski is his style of play. Very few teams can "afford" to have more then 2-3 finesse players in the NHL. For every finesse player you have to have 3-4 players grinding the way for them, NYR is as good example as any what happens if you don´t have that balance...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He could be a third liner in the NHL any day. Get some experience on him and you'll have a very good player. But anyone expecting him to score alot... is expecting too much, unless he starts booming out, which is not too far of a stretch, since he went from unknown to top-3 finnish prospect in a matter of days.

yeah it might take him several years to really "pan out" completely, if he does reach his offensive potential...i guess it's really too hard to tell this early in the game. he seems to have a great great work ethic, plays hard and makes things happen, and seems to have some offensive skill lurking in there waiting to get out...i don't particularly expect him to score a lot this year in the finnish league but given a few years...it's not a completely perfect comparison but you can look at a guy like jarko (sp?) immonen who didn't score much at all early in his career in the finnish elite league, but is now leading the league in scoring and he's still, what, 22? ready to come over and play in the NHL at this point.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
You're incorrect.
Very constructive.

I'll go with Jean Beliveau on this one. Kyle Chipchura! I saw him on the Habs' prospect against Leafs' prospect and he was easily the BPOI. He was also the youngest player on the ice.

bruins4777*

I'd say schwarz or turkonen

I heard some debate about korp? The rangers dude?

This is what i think from what i've heard. He is a guy who will work hard night in and out, but many feel like he may have already used up all of his potential. He is a very coachable player and will always be a coach favorite and maybe a leader in the future. I'm not sure if he's used up all of his potential, but at the very least its guaranteed he'll be a pj. axlesson or kris draper. A hard working lovable grinder. At the most a offensive 2 way cetner

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
McGrath would be a good pick. Stupid Detroit, they never have a top 100 pick, but their picks are always top 15 quality. Example, Zetterberg 210th and Datsyuk 171st.
As an oiler fan...I really hope that Schremp is an absolute steal at 25th?

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
how exactly are first round picks "steals"?
Steals in comparison to other first rounders that have been selected ahead of them. The steal of the draft however, won't be known for another 5 years, when somebody emerges well out of the later rounds.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
korpikoski is a LW, not a center

i think it'd be debatable whether he's "used up all his potential"...basically he's just starting to show what he can do so for the most part people are unsure how far he can go with it. i think his potential is a bit of an unknown at this point

Prucha73

BTW would anyone know if there are any clips of Korpikoski anywhere on the internet?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
As a Bruins fan, I would say our biggest steals of the draft are David Krejci(2nd),Kris Versteeg(5th) and Matt Hunwick(7th or 8th). Krejci and Versteeg are both racking up points in their Junior leagues and Hunwicks playing well in the NCAA and will be playing for the US at the WJC's again.

Reactions: LeProspector

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Taupy said:
Very constructive.
What, you call the thread I replied to constructive?

Oh no, Chipchura is a big center! Let's start the parade!

Prucha73

Barnaby said:
So please tell me how that makes him the opposite of a steal...

1. he was drafted much higher than he was ever projected

2. he has not done anything yet to indicate he is is a steal

3. Rangers traded up to draft him (one thing to trade up to get a guy who somehow managed to slip, another thing is to trade up to get a guy because there is another team obsessed with him almost as much as you are)

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Vlad The Impaler said:
The biggest steal of the draft was without a doubt that guy who plays for my favorite teamâ„¢

What the hell are you talking about???????????????

I take Grabovski from the habs.. just a coincidence..

;)

KIDDING

TomahawkSniper

Aug 19, 2004
Vancouver
For the Canucks, Alexander Edler(3rd), Julien Ellis-Plante(6th) and Jannik Hansen(9th), David Schulz(8th) all look like steals from where they were drafted.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Prucha73 said:
1. he was drafted much higher than he was ever projected

2. he has not done anything yet to indicate he is is a steal

3. Rangers traded up to draft him (one thing to trade up to get a guy who somehow managed to slip, another thing is to trade up to get a guy because there is another team obsessed with him almost as much as you are)

I am not calling him a steal, I think he went at the right time personally. Your the one who said he was "the opposite of a steal," which would be a BUST.

1. Wrong. He didn't go much higher then projected. Dallas was trying to move up to grab him, and other teams saw thats as the spot for him to go. Much higher would have been selecting someone ranked 45th going there not someone who may have lasted one or two more spots.

2. I NEVER called him a steal. He was solid value IMHO.

3. The beauty of having all the pics we had was that you could trade up to get a player that you thought highly of. The Rangers obviously did so they trade up a few spots. You make it sound like they gave up a future first or something. I personally applaud the organization for going out and getting a player they thought highly of without overpaying.

Your entire argument makes 0 sense. It's WAY too early to call him a steal or a bust, especially when all hes done is earned the respect of a respected coach who has said glowing things about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->