The biggest steal in 04´

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ola said:
Look at Zetterberg, he was drafted in the 7th round 210th overall in 99´. Only a year after that you didn´t have to be a genius to see how good he was. Today he is one of the top 3-4 players to come out of that draft. I´ve never said that Salmonsson was a steal, he has allot left to prove that he even was worth a 2nd round pick IMO. However when you see Fransson play its obvious that he has everything to become a great hockey player, he could be a franchise player.

I agree with most of your points. But in every draft there is a avg. of what 2-3 franchise players? If one of them are picked in the 2nd round he is gooing to be considered a huge steal. There was a allot of circumstances that made Fransson drop so far. Sweden had a really weak WJC team and Fransson wasn´t given much room there other then late in games when Sweden was behind by a goal or two. Last years WJC´s is Fransson´s only international showing. Fransson is playing some great hockey in a league with defensemens named Z. Chara, C. Philips, S. Souray and Dick Tärnström to name a few. I saw him play live a couple of days ago and he was matched against Peter Forsberg and played really well, he lost Forsberg once and Peter set up Weinhandl for a goal. And its not to be forgotten that Fransson is far from beeing a finished product. He isn´t like Barker who had a developt upper body at the age of 18. There is no question if Fransson will make it to the NHL, he is a lock. The question is how good he will be come and he has IMO potential to be one of the top 3-4 players in that draft. That is what makes him a steal. It will take 5-6 years before he reaches his prime, allot can happen in that time. But wait till you see him in this years WJC, I am willing to bet that allot of you would take him the top 5 if you had the chance to do the 04´ draft over again.

Seems to me like you are hung up on Fransson and can't see anyone else from the past draft. There were a ton of other players drafted you know, not just him.

waiverdraft33

Jul 3, 2002
Some people on here think all Swedish prospects are "top 3-4 players in the draft" superstars, you'll get used to it Kritty.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kritty said:
Seems to me like you are hung up on Fransson and can't see anyone else from the past draft. There were a ton of other players drafted you know, not just him.

There are a couple of other players I like. Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Montoya, Smid(one of my fav.), Stafford, Radulov, Korpikoski, Mesaroz and Schremp...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Only thing Fransson has on the other guys in the first round is maturity. For all we know he might be as good as he'll ever be already.

Korpikoski? I'd wait to see if his hands will be any better before talking about him being a steal... Great hustle and an iron will on that guy though, he'll be a fan favourite.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
mattihp said:
Korpikoski? I'd wait to see if his hands will be any better before talking about him being a steal... Great hustle and an iron will on that guy though, he'll be a fan favourite.

I'm looking forward to seeing him and the other top Finnish prospects play live this week actually. Will finally see what all the fuzz is about ;)

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Biggest steal not mentioned yet is Jeff Glass Kootenay WHL.

Also not mentioned are Adam Berti(just starting to kick it into gear for Oshawa), and Victor Alexandrov (8th ranked Euro. last year).

Others I like that where already mentioned are are Mike Green, Wes O'Neill and Igor Radulov.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Predatore said:
I'm looking forward to seeing him and the other top Finnish prospects play live this week actually. Will finally see what all the fuzz is about ;)
I've seen Korpikoski on tape a couple of times, and from what I see he looks like a Dackell with lesser hands. Lots of times to develop though, but definately not the typical TPS prospect.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Predatore said:

Korpikoski could miss the tournament in Växsjö, I saw him play early this year but last Sunday there was a game between TPS and Jokerit on FTV and they said that Korpikoski was out with a knee injury...

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Ola said:
Korpikoski could miss the tournament in Växsjö, I saw him play early this year but last Sunday there was a game between TPS and Jokerit on FTV and they said that Korpikoski was out with a knee injury...
Not to turn this into a Lauri Korpikoski thread, but he's still out with a knee injury, which is healing. According to the TPS website, he's started training with the team again, but he hasn't played yet.

As for being a bust, even if he pans out to be a third-line energy player, that doesn't make him a bust. He's a fairly safe projection to be an NHL player, and not everyone in the first round has to be a first-liner.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Ola said:

oh well...
Rask, Laakso, Korhonen, Tukonen, Nokelainen and Joensuu will have to do I guess ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As for being a bust, even if he pans out to be a third-line energy player, that doesn't make him a bust. He's a fairly safe projection to be an NHL player, and not everyone in the first round has to be a first-liner.

there was an article recently I'm told about korpikoski (in finland) in which his coach said korpikoski has developed faster than just about any rookie he's ever coached, and that the stars were trying to trade up to draft him but couldn't find a good deal, which had the rangers worried

basically with his work ethic and overall skills, it's very likely he'll be at least a 3rd liner who can check very well and put in a few points.

2nd liner is probably within reach though if he develops his offensive skills

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Levitate said:
there was an article recently I'm told about korpikoski (in finland) in which his coach said korpikoski has developed faster than just about any rookie he's ever coached, and that the stars were trying to trade up to draft him but couldn't find a good deal, which had the rangers worried

basically with his work ethic and overall skills, it's very likely he'll be at least a 3rd liner who can check very well and put in a few points.

Thanks for the update. Try telling that to Prucha73, who has no concept of what kind of league Korp is playing in.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Levitate said:

He could be a third liner in the NHL any day. Get some experience on him and you'll have a very good player. But anyone expecting him to score alot... is expecting too much, unless he starts booming out, which is not too far of a stretch, since he went from unknown to top-3 finnish prospect in a matter of days.

Prucha73

Kovy274Hart said:
Thanks for the update. Try telling that to Prucha73, who has no concept of what kind of league Korp is playing in.

I think you have no concept of what league he played in last year.

Prucha73

mattihp said:
He could be a third liner in the NHL any day. Get some experience on him and you'll have a very good player. But anyone expecting him to score alot... is expecting too much, unless he starts booming out, which is not too far of a stretch, since he went from unknown to top-3 finnish prospect in a matter of days.

Yes, I think he will be similar type of player to PJ Axelsson or Rolston.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sting004 said:
I stand corrected!

Patrick Eaves was drafted in 2003 along with Nikulin another pretty good draft pick. We got Kaigorodov in 2002 who is 3rd in scoring in the Russian Elite league. Ottawa had a pretty good 2004 draft too considering we got Meszaros, Lyamin, Weller, Wick and Glass, 3 of them are in the WHL.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Prucha73 said:
I think you have no concept of what league he played in last year.

I think you have no concept what a big step up it is from where he played last year to going into a pro league this year :banghead:.

You think you know so much but in reality you're just an impatient fan who doesn't realize the transition young players like Korp are making.

I don't see you bashing Prucha for his lack of production this year due to his fourth line duty. So, you should have the same kind of approach with Korp.

Prucha73

Kovy274Hart said:
I think you have no concept what a big step up it is from where he played last year to going into a pro league this year :banghead:.

You think you know so much but in reality you're just an impatient fan who doesn't realize the transition young players like Korp are making.

I don't see you bashing Prucha for his lack of production this year due to his fourth line duty. So, you should have the same kind of approach with Korp.

no you fail to understand how low his scoring was in juniors last season. I am not bashing Korpikoski because of lack of production this year, but mainly I just doubt his offensive potential based on his lack of scoring in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad