The biggest steal in 04´

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Lionel Hutz said:
That could turn out to be a bit of a steal, as some people expected him to go in the 1st.

Its way too early to even discuss this.
I know, but I saw him twice last season (vs. Leafs, vs. Canada) and he is damn good. I was surprised to see him fall out of the 1st round. He was the #1 guy on my list for the Leafs to potentially pick up, but... we had no 1st rounder. But that really doesn't say much as every year the top Swedish prospect is my #1 choice.

leafaholix*

Another thing on Robbie Earl, he has atleast 1 point in the first 7 games of the season. I'm not sure if there's anyone else in the NCAA that has done that. The guy is turning out to be a real steal for Toronto.

And Dmitry Vorobiev is looking real good for the Leafs, he was one of the top 10 defensemen going into last years draft and is said to be physically strong enough to play in the NHL at the age of 19... but he needs to develop in other aspects of the game. The Leafs have had a lot of luck with European defensemen in the later stages of the draft (Markov, Kaberle, Kondratiev), hopefully he's another one.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Ola said:
Obviously I haven´t seen all 291 players but Dallas Stars 2nd round pick, 34th overall Johan Fransson has some sick skills. I think he was 7th overall ranked European skater by CSS and left off most the other scouting services like ISS but I wouldn´t be suprised if he turns out to be one of the top 4-5 players in the 04´draft. YoungGuns were the only scouting service who had a good read on him...

Fransson at 6´2´´ 180-185 lbs needs to add some weight. He also at times trys to do to much with the puck. But he is one of the best skater I´ve ever seen live. Defenitly in the young version of Leetch/Coffey cathegory. A calm, low gravity stride. He also has really good hands, a very good and fast shot and also plays a physical defensive game which he didn´t quit have last year. His vision when he takes the puck end to end is a beauty to watch. When his game is on he at times completly takes controll of the game in the SEL. Defensemen who are able to accelerate with the puck the way Fransson does only comes aorund every 5-10 years or so.

Fransson should probably stay in europe for another year before he is ready for the NHL but he has all the tools to become one of the best defensemen to ever come out of sweden...

he's too good at handling the puck, sometimes getting himself into trouble. He reminds me a lot of Ozolinsh in the sense that he is too offensive.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
How are Salmonsson and Fransson considered steals? They were picked at the beginning of the second round, hell Salmonsson was one team away from being a 1sts rounder.

And if you still want to consider them 'steals', who would you take out of the 1st round and replace with either one of them?

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
pavel datsyuk said:
How are Salmonsson and Fransson considered steals? They were picked at the beginning of the second round, hell Salmonsson was one team away from being a 1sts rounder.

And if you still want to consider them 'steals', who would you take out of the 1st round and replace with either one of them?

I said it could be a steal, b/c he may very well have gone in the mid-first round. As for who I would take out of the 1st round, I'm not interested in re-working the draft 5 months after. Just voiced an opinion on a guy I felt could've easily went higher.

Regardless, its less than a year out, we have no way of knowing who the "steals" were. I think someone else said it above, the real steals are going to be the one or two guys taken in the 8-9th round who end up being a top line player. We have no idea who that is.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't know much about a lot of the players in the draft, but of the ones that I do, the biggest steals {imo} were...

AJ Thelen
Lauri Tukonen
Marek Schwarz
Andrej Mezsaros
Sami Lepisto
Enver Lisin
maybe Alex Radulov too

As a Sabres fan, I think we did well to get Andrej Sekera in the 3rd, and Dylan Hunter looks good for a 9th. Our first two picks sucked big time though IMO.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
pavel datsyuk said:
no hockey sense, i can't see this guy making it past the AHL.

well that doesn't stop rico fata from making it :lol

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'm still upset McPhee took Shultz in the 1st, over Fransson.

The Caps could have come away w/Ovechkin, M. Green, Fransson, Bourque, Lepisto, and Hedman.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Leafaholix said:
Another thing on Robbie Earl, he has atleast 1 point in the first 7 games of the season. I'm not sure if there's anyone else in the NCAA that has done that. The guy is turning out to be a real steal for Toronto.

Pretty sure Patrick Eaves has. He's dominated every game he's played in so far...but Earl definately seemed like he could've gone in the 2nd round right now.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I saw this guy live 9 times, twice last year and 7 times with Green Bay... You can not tell me that guy doens't have hockey sense.
Being someone who couldn't understand why he fell like he did, any insight into why he dropped? Just curious. I've heard skating, now hockey sense......but I'd like to hear from someone who's seen him a lot.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Sami Lepisto i believe is going to be a steal for the washington capitals.

Also i think Victor Alexandrov is going to be another steal for St.Louis, hes got great potential

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Schwarz was the third goalie taken, and the best goalie in the draft if you ask me.

Third? :dunno: :help:

I know that Ovechkin is great, but the rumors of him being able to "do it all" are a bit overstated.

leafaholix*

Sting004 said:
Pretty sure Patrick Eaves has. He's dominated every game he's played in so far...but Earl definately seemed like he could've gone in the 2nd round right now.
Eaves was shutout yesterday.

SwOOsh*

Legionnaire said:
Third? :dunno: :help:

I know that Ovechkin is great, but the rumors of him being able to "do it all" are a bit overstated.

Montoya, Dubynk

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Biggest steal is Schwarz IMO: St Louis was lucky to find this franchise goaltender still available.
Right behind him I would pick Andrej Meszaros: in his rookie year in the WHL he's showing his tremendous potential, absolutely amazing pick by Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad