The biggest steal in 04´

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Obviously I haven´t seen all 291 players but Dallas Stars 2nd round pick, 34th overall Johan Fransson has some sick skills. I think he was 7th overall ranked European skater by CSS and left off most the other scouting services like ISS but I wouldn´t be suprised if he turns out to be one of the top 4-5 players in the 04´draft. YoungGuns were the only scouting service who had a good read on him...

Fransson at 6´2´´ 180-185 lbs needs to add some weight. He also at times trys to do to much with the puck. But he is one of the best skater I´ve ever seen live. Defenitly in the young version of Leetch/Coffey cathegory. A calm, low gravity stride. He also has really good hands, a very good and fast shot and also plays a physical defensive game which he didn´t quit have last year. His vision when he takes the puck end to end is a beauty to watch. When his game is on he at times completly takes controll of the game in the SEL. Defensemen who are able to accelerate with the puck the way Fransson does only comes aorund every 5-10 years or so.

Fransson should probably stay in europe for another year before he is ready for the NHL but he has all the tools to become one of the best defensemen to ever come out of sweden...

Safir*

Marek Schwarz (St.Louis) & Andrej Meszaros (Ottawa) are right up there together with Rob Schremp.

BTW Meszaros is 2nd in the WHL in points for D-man, right behind Dion Phaneuf.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tha ACE said:
Marek Schwarz (St.Louis) & Andrej Meszaros (Ottawa) are right up there together with Rob Schremp.

BTW Meszaros is 2nd in the WHL in points for D-man, right behind Dion Phaneuf.

I´ve seen allot of Mezaros and he is a player I like allot. But in terms of potential he isn´t on the same planet as Fransson...

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The biggest steal of the draft we won't know about for another 5 years, when somebody from the 8th or 9th round turns into a good player, but at this point in time judging on both draft position and production thus far it's Schremp IMO.

1. Schremp
2. Andrej Meszaros

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rangers Jakub Petruzalek is giving some bang for the buck with an impressive start in the OHL after being picked 266th in the 9th round.

He's 6th in league scoring.

Jakub Petruzalek Ottawa 67's 17 10 16 26 14.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Fransson slipped to the 2nd round because he decided to wait a year as he was harassed by injuries during his original draft year, 2003. Smart move, as he finished 2nd in rookie voting in the SEL the year thereafter, finishing behind only Loui Eriksson. But still, in 2004 he was a year older than most of the rest of the class and his injury history had some GM's having 2nd thoughts. His potential is pretty unlimited IMO, but players that went the same routine as Fransson are always considered "steals"... Let's just await and see.

Elite prospects' report card:

Fransson is an excellent skater with loads of offensive potential. He is extremely mobile, agile and moves the puck very securely. Fransson has a good release and is, unlike many other young defensemen, not afraid to challenge the opposing players and do the unexpected. He is very creative with the puck and also very good at reading plays. His passing game is above average and Fransson is not afraid to get involved when things get rough. On the downside he could still improve his defensive game and at times he is a bit risky with the puck, trying to accomplish too much.

.. seems updated, as at the time of the draft they had him pegged as a potential #1 defenseman.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Adam Pineault looks like a good pick.Maybe not what you would call a steal as he was picked in the second round but maybe he should've been picked a bit higher.
There are two guys you really can't call steals since they weren't picked but
Lacek and Lavallee are making some scouts look bad.Lacek has poor skating hanging over him but he looks like he was at least worth a late pick.Lavallee
I just don't get.He has decent size,good skating,good skills and is very physical.
I think some scouts are going to be kicking them selves over this one.

Kasparov*

Whats the point of this thread? people just list the prospects that their team took...

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Oiltalk said:
The biggest steal of the draft we won't know about for another 5 years, when somebody from the 8th or 9th round turns into a good player, but at this point in time judging on both draft position and production thus far it's Schremp IMO.

1. Schremp
2. Andrej Meszaros

I can't argue with either of those, but they were both high profile players. More of a sleeper is the Wings Evan McGrath picked late in the 4'th at #128. No way should 127 players been picked ahead of him. 2 years ago he was projected as high as a top ten pick and then had a bad year. Well, he sure has bounced back this year and much like Schremp seems to want to prove teams wrong for passing him by (several times). So far this year in the OHL, he is 3'rd in scoring with 12g,18a,30p in 16 games and only behind Perry and O'Sullivan while not playing on a loadedteam like London.

At #128, Evan McGrath is my early nominee for a guy that looks like he could be the biggest steal of the draft.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Sami Lepisto

He was the most valuable dman in WJC and I remember several people chose the Caps to pick Lepisto in the 1st round in Mock Drafts here at HF. He appears to be a steal. I would hesitate to call first rounders picked in the first round a steal. Caps took him in the 3rd round.

O'Neill really slipped was projected as high as 14. He could surprise!

Prucha73

Dane Byers :lol

Seriously if going just by stats then Dylan Hunter, Petruzalek, etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ott = Snott said:
Fransson slipped to the 2nd round because he decided to wait a year as he was harassed by injuries during his original draft year, 2003. Smart move, as he finished 2nd in rookie voting in the SEL the year thereafter, finishing behind only Loui Eriksson. But still, in 2004 he was a year older than most of the rest of the class and his injury history had some GM's having 2nd thoughts. His potential is pretty unlimited IMO, but players that went the same routine as Fransson are always considered "steals"... Let's just await and see.

Elite prospects' report card:

.. seems updated, as at the time of the draft they had him pegged as a potential #1 defenseman.

Well all players who don´t opt in aren´t considered as steals by me... :) Seriously I am not suprised that he dropped that far with his history, with injuries and all. Even if they were "freak" injuries... Fransson has only participated in one big international tournament and is quit unknown so it would have been a gamble to pick him high in the 1st round. However Fransson has some incredible tools and he makes some incredible plays in the SEL which is a really really good league right now during the lockout. Most of you will get a chance to see him in the WJC this christmas.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I really like Baier (L-A 3rd) and McGrawth (Det) they have all the tools to be steals :dunno:

leafaholix*

Johannes Salmonsson (Pittsburgh, 31st)
Johan Fransson (Dallas, 34th)
Sami Lepisto (Washington, 66th)
Chad Painchaud (Atlanta, 106th)
Evan McGrath (Detroit, 128th)
Oscar Hedman (Washington, 132nd)
Dmitry Vorobiev (Toronto, 157th)
Robbie Earl (Toronto, 187th)
Denis Kulyash (Nashville, 243rd)

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
From RSL I would name Enver Lisin or Mikhail Grabovsky in this list.
From NA and other Europe Marek Schwarz and Rob Schremp are biggest steals, Imho.

X-SHARKIE

Kaizer said:
From RSL I would name Enver Lisin or Mikhail Grabovsky in this list.
From NA and other Europe Marek Schwarz and Rob Schremp are biggest steals, Imho.

Yeah Enver Lisins early performance was making me eat crow.

But it's soooooooooooooooooooooo early to be calling steals folks. Plus alot of names that are being thrown around are guys who have been putting up numbers but there games need ALOT! of work before the NHL comes around.

That's why I picked Pinault, the guy has great hands, he has great acceleration and speed, he plays physical. This guy is a top six forward in the NHL! O'Neil is a shut down defenseman along with underated offensive upside...His size and game well work in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->