The Biggest problem with this team

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The neat thing is that Hitchcock says he isn't happy yet and they have only had 2 practices.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Secondary scoring is the biggest issue with this team. Hitchcock shouldn't have to double shift McDavid to get more scoring. It's time for the 2 other lines to pick up they're play and carry their own weight.

Top 5 players have 44 goals. The rest of the team (21 players) have 19. Yuck! The worst in the league most likely.
We have 5 players with more than 2 goals scored.

Calgary has 12.
Toronto 13.

Hell even LA has 9

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Doing some reading on our 5v5 scoring. We are second worst in the league (LA is just even worse).

If the team wants to succeed they don't need the best offense, but being that low for 5v5 scoring just wont do

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Secondary scoring is the biggest issue with this team. Hitchcock shouldn't have to double shift McDavid to get more scoring. It's time for the 2 other lines to pick up they're play and carry their own weight.

Top 5 players have 44 goals. The rest of the team (21 players) have 19. Yuck! The worst in the league most likely.

Just to correct this, as it understates the issue, the top 5 scorers on the club have 51 goals. You are correct with the 19 goals amongst the rest of the roster that has played here. That is quite simply deplorable scoring depth and I've never seen a team make the playoffs with so few doing all of the lifting.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just to correct this, as it understates the issue, the top 5 scorers on the club have 51 goals. You are correct with the 19 goals amongst the rest of the roster that has played here. That is quite simply deplorable scoring depth and I've never seen a team make the playoffs with so few doing all of the lifting.

If Hitch gets this roster into the playoffs he is going to win the Jack Adams.

I could see his statue being built in front of Rogers too.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
If Hitch gets this roster into the playoffs he is going to win the Jack Adams.

I could see his statue being built in front of Rogers too.

Hitch is a nice man. Its a good story one way or another. I go way back to Wild Bill Hunter, the founder of the Oilers. He would have approved of this hire, maybe the first one that he would approve of since Sather.

Hitch as a natural Edmontonian understands this market, expectations, and has more of a passion to deliver it. That again heralds back to Hunter (who I think was from saskatoon but loved this city.)

I find it odd in retrospect that in the several decades since Bill Hunter no other local has really been in coaching or management. Its been such an externally run org. hitch should have been here as early as the 90's. Its surreal that its finally occurred AFTER he retired. Its a shame the org at least twice decided against hiring Hitchcock who was always willing to be here.

I really wonder sometimes if external hires just don't have the passion for running things that a local would. The difference I'm noting is Hitch actually being passionate about wanting to make a difference here and that he sees it as important. I mean I'm sure everybody has good intent at the start, but wouldn't the passion and intent burn brighter in someone who has identified as an Edmontonian?

Reactions: Oilhawks and WigWam

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Doing some reading on our 5v5 scoring. We are second worst in the league (LA is just even worse).

If the team wants to succeed they don't need the best offense, but being that low for 5v5 scoring just wont do
Being ok 5on5 but terrible on the pp didnt help us either. 31st in GF on the PP last year and 20th 5on5. 9th 5on5 and 5th in pp GF in 2016-17.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We have 5 players with more than 2 goals scored.

Calgary has 12.
Toronto 13.

Hell even LA has 9

LA worst offense in the league. So it doesnt mean much to throw them in as a example.

Goals against has been our weakness. Last year, and this year while Talbot was in net.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Sorry - I never want a trap team here. Defensive first ok. Trap? No.

I have a different take I've been thinking about.
One of the issues I have with Pulji is that whenever he got sat out, sent down, or benched - he never had a fire under his ass the next time he was inserted.

He should look at Rattie. That's how I think players should respond.
I don't think any of us want a trap team makes for very boring hockey. But until chia or new gm can get this team some scoring I'll take a 2-1 win everytime. If this team comes out of this knowing how to hold a 1 goal lead then I'm ok with it

Reactions: RegDunlop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
LA worst offense in the league. So it doesnt mean much to throw them in as a example.

Goals against has been our weakness. Last year, and this year while Talbot was in net.

Goals for is just as big a weakness, you can't simply gloss over the fact that they get zero scoring outside of 5 players and virtually nothing from the blueline and pin it all on the previous goaltender.

This team has giant holes all over the roster masked by a few players. Yes, the better goaltending has certainly helped in this recent stretch as well but this type of play depending almost entirely on goaltending isn't sustainable for long term success. If they don't get more scoring from more people, they aren't making the playoffs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Neither was the team, unless goaltending was somehow responsible for their reprehensible power play.
IMO it was the terrible defensive structure. Losing Sekera and having our defence play above their heads. Under TM this team had a terrible defensive philosophy. Having Hitch come in and bring some order is already showing results

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Sorry - I never want a trap team here. Defensive first ok. Trap? No.

I have a different take I've been thinking about.
One of the issues I have with Pulji is that whenever he got sat out, sent down, or benched - he never had a fire under his ass the next time he was inserted.

He should look at Rattie. That's how I think players should respond.

We trapped like crazy during our 06 cup run.

Most of us didn't seem to mind that.

Also when we're battling for the division title by January, you'll change your tune.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Goals for is just as big a weakness, you can't simply gloss over the fact that they get zero scoring outside of 5 players and virtually nothing from the blueline and pin it all on the previous goaltender.

This team has giant holes all over the roster masked by a few players. Yes, the better goaltending has certainly helped in this recent stretch as well but this type of play depending almost entirely on goaltending isn't sustainable for long term success. If they don't get more scoring from more people, they aren't making the playoffs.

Every team has holes.

Boston seems to be doing just fine with holes every where.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Not to say talent may not be a bit of the issue but i'll say it again after watching the oil the past 6 games and hearing what hitch and the players are saying.... "playing the right way" and culture of the team was the biggest problem by far. You can hear Hitch and Connor etc saying it numerous times in interviews recently that "we just have to play the right way for the full 60".

Boils down to culture and habit. Practice is hugely important and part of the culture of how things are done. I know they're likely doing more unique and clever drills in practice now and the intensity and attention to detail is higher than before. It makes a huge difference. Practice like how you intend to play. Get culture and habits instilled properly and when you get young talent coming in they will be more positively affected by them. This is how you develop winning talent.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
does it really matter if he only gets 90 pts and we make the playoffs and become a serious contender?

It matters to me. McDavid is a generational talent. His offensive potential is way higher than 90 points. He's gonna hit 100 this year easily but I just don't think he'll take the Art Ross.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It matters to me. McDavid is a generational talent. His offensive potential is way higher than 90 points. He's gonna hit 100 this year easily but I just don't think he'll take the Art Ross.
He's a lock for Hart and Ted Lindsay. 2/3 awards is still pretty good

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

so you're saying mcdavid's point totals are more important than team success? if he has to take a hit in points because the team becomes more defensively responsible but a better team that would be a bad thing?...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->