The Biggest problem with this team

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought this deserved its own thread.

IMO the biggest concern with this team isnt a lack of scoring depth on the wing...it isnt Cam Talbot....it isnt the non calls on McDavid...it isnt the lack of a #1 dman.

Its puck/situation management. When I watch this team and the game is winding down into the last couple of minutes of the 3rd in a close game I become a nervous fan. Why...because I know that until the final buzzer that this team can, and usually does, find a way to mismanage the puck and gift the other team an opportunity to score.

This can obviously happen at any time in the game but when the game is on the line this team seems to be really prone. There are so many examples of this over the past couple of years and we only have to go back to the game a few days ago against Anaheim to see the last time this cost them a game.

It almost happened again last night....3 poor (completely avoidable) decisions with approx a minute left.
First Draisaitl (with just over a minute left) skates just outside his own blue line and then tries to put a soft pass across the neutral zone and it gets intercepted. Nothing came of it (no scoring chance) but its exactly the wrong play to make when you are trying to preserve a point. Mistake #1.

Next (about 15 seconds later) Nurse holds onto the puck in his own zone far too long (12 seconds) and then decides that the best option is to try a low percentage pass up the boards which predictably gets called for icing. The Oilers have possession and then give it right back to the opposing team.
Mistake #2.

Now with apporx 10 secs left in the 3rd RNH skates out of his zone and passes the puck to Jesse right at centre ice. All Jesse had to do was get his stick on the pass and get it deep. He inexplicably misses the puck all together (almost like he losses focus because the pass from RNH was fine) and the puck doesnt go deep and gets turned over. Alternatively RNH could have also gained centre ice and then dumped it in deep...that would have also closed out the period.
As it was Dallas gets possession at their blue line and then quickly moves the puck up ice gains the zone (easily) and almost scored the game winning goal with less than 1 second on the clock. Mistake #3.

All 3 of these situations are completely avoidable if the decision making is better.
The fatal flaw with this team the last few years is that this poor decision making is ingrained into this team.
I dont know if its a low panic threshold due to big moment inexperience or that they just havent learned what it takes to win close games but I do know its a massive problem. It started against Anaheim in the playoffs back in 2016 and its been a problem ever since.

Until this gets cleaned up this team will never consistently win to the point of being a playoff threat.
This is a team issue.

So IMO Hitch is the perfect coach to instill the habits (the structure) required to properly close out games.

Its going to take some time though...maybe 10 to 15 games (or more) to start seeing results. So until about mid-late December I am willing to allow this team to figure things out and thats likely going to mean some additional disappointing losses in the interim. Losses I am not going to get too worked up about because this new adherence to structure isnt going to happen overnight.
The road is going to be a little bumpy for a while.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
this, and we have no scoring

There is an issue with secondary scroing but the much bigger issue is bleeding chances against especially in big moments.
That has be eliminated IMO...its difficult to evaluate the needs to the team until it is. Program the players to make smart decisions with and without the puck...that will create more opportunity and in turn will give a better sense of what is lacking.
When a team bleeds goals as this one does you need to change that into a system that you can then better evaluate which players wont or cant fit the system. You get rid of those players and then identify players that will fill in the blanks.
That whats I hope happens this season.

space321

May 11, 2011
this, and we have no scoring

this, and our d can't make a consistent breakout pass

Seriously though, I don't agree with pinning the blame on players' unable to get pucks deep. Our dzone coverage could use a lot more work when the puck comes into our zone. Dallas with the puck in the neutral zone with 8 seconds left should not amount to such a dangerous scoring chance for Benn no matter what. However, Larsson is very slow and while he's good at keeping players to the outside (except when Couture murdered him), he's also prone to be skated around the outside. Watch the condensed game recape against Dallas and you can see it happen multiple times. Additionally, our players were puck watching which led to Benn AND Seguin being uncovered. The situation was 3 Dallas forwards against 4 Oilers, no way should that end with Benn getting that chance.

This team has a lot of problems, and there's no way your examples are the major ones. For example, if this team could score, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
this, and our d can't make a consistent breakout pass

Seriously though, I don't agree with pinning the blame on players' unable to get pucks deep. Our dzone coverage could use a lot more work when the puck comes into our zone. Dallas with the puck in the neutral zone with 8 seconds left should not amount to such a dangerous scoring chance for Benn no matter what. However, Larsson is very slow and while he's good at keeping players to the outside (except when Couture murdered him), he's also prone to be skated around the outside. Watch the condensed game recape against Dallas and you can see it happen multiple times. Additionally, our players were puck watching which led to Benn AND Seguin being uncovered. The situation was 3 Dallas forwards against 4 Oilers, no way should that end with Benn getting that chance.

This team has a lot of problems, and there's no way your examples are the major ones. For example, if this team could score, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Its not just about getting the pucks deep. As I explained in my post not getting the pucks deep is an example of the problem which is poor decision making. This team makes far too many poor decisions with and wothout the puck.

That IMO is the problem. Not addressing that and expecting a trade to fix things is akin to shuffling the deck chairs on a sinking ship with a gaping hole in the hull.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We need to add a pernennial .85 ppg player and also a regular 25+ goal scorer. To bad those guys are super hard to come by and can never be had for a second pairing D or 3rd line center

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

IMO the biggest concern with this team isnt a lack of scoring depth on the wing...it isnt Cam Talbot....it isnt the non calls on McDavid...it isnt the lack of a #1 dman.

Its puck/situation management. When I watch this team and the game is winding down into the last couple of minutes of the 3rd in a close game I become a nervous fan. Why...because I know that until the final buzzer that this team can, and usually does, find a way to mismanage the puck and gift the other team an opportunity to score.

This can obviously happen at any time in the game but when the game is on the line this team seems to be really prone. There are so many examples of this over the past couple of years and we only have to go back to the game a few days ago against Anaheim to see the last time this cost them a game.

It almost happened again last night....3 poor (completely avoidable) decisions with approx a minute left.
First Draisaitl (with just over a minute left) skates just outside his own blue line and then tries to put a soft pass across the neutral zone and it gets intercepted. Nothing came of it (no scoring chance) but its exactly the wrong play to make when you are trying to preserve a point. Mistake #1.

Next (about 15 seconds later) Nurse holds onto the puck in his own zone far too long (12 seconds) and then decides that the best option is to try a low percentage pass up the boards which predictably gets called for icing. The Oilers have possession and then give it right back to the opposing team.
Mistake #2.

Now with apporx 10 secs left in the 3rd RNH skates out of his zone and passes the puck to Jesse right at centre ice. All Jesse had to do was get his stick on the pass and get it deep. He inexplicably misses the puck all together (almost like he losses focus because the pass from RNH was fine) and the puck doesnt go deep and gets turned over. Alternatively RNH could have also gained centre ice and then dumped it in deep...that would have also closed out the period.
As it was Dallas gets possession at their blue line and then quickly moves the puck up ice gains the zone (easily) and almost scored the game winning goal with less than 1 second on the clock. Mistake #3.

All 3 of these situations are completely avoidable if the decision making is better.
The fatal flaw with this team the last few years is that this poor decision making is ingrained into this team.
I dont know if its a low panic threshold due to big moment inexperience or that they just havent learned what it takes to win close games but I do know its a massive problem. It started against Anaheim in the playoffs back in 2016 and its been a problem ever since.

Until this gets cleaned up this team will never consistently win to the point of being a playoff threat.
This is a team issue.

So IMO Hitch is the perfect coach to instill the habits (the structure) required to properly close out games.

Its going to take some time though...maybe 10 to 15 games (or more) to start seeing results. So until about mid-late December I am willing to allow this team to figure things out and thats likely going to mean some additional disappointing losses in the interim. Losses I am not going to get too worked up about because this new adherence to structure isnt going to happen overnight.

agree. i mentally noted all those mistakes and more. this team can push for a playoff spot if they play clean. far too many mental lapses at inopprtune times that cost the game or derail momentum which they often have a hard time getting back. that's another weakness with the team. the attitude sags too easily when things go wrong and they don't get back on the horse well. and also starting the game slow has been an ongoing issue. these are things hopefully hitch can fix. this team definitely has some talent issues but they should be better.... at least visually.... and they kind of are starting to under hitch. learn to grind it out with the roster you have... finish with a respectable record even if not making the post season.... instill good habits and culture.... develop players. that's what's got to happen. start with fundamentals and a foundation. don't just try to add talent without a proper foundation. hopefully hitch can get it done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
agree. i mentally noted all those mistakes and more. this team can push for a playoff spot if they play clean. far too many mental lapses at inopprtune times that cost the game or derail momentum which they often have a hard time getting back. that's another weakness with the team. the attitude sags too easily when things go wrong and they don't get back on the horse well. and also starting the game slow has been an ongoing issue. these are things hopefully hitch can fix. this team definitely has some talent issues but they should be better.... at least visually.... and they kind of are starting to under hitch. learn to grind it out with the roster you have... finish with a respectable record even if not making the post season.... instill good habits and culture.... develop players. that's what's got to happen. start with fundamentals and a foundation. don't just try to add talent without a proper foundation. hopefully hitch can get it done.

100%
I especially like the bolded. That is such an important part of all this...the timing of the lapses and the inability to turn things back in their favor.

Excellent post.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
For me it's being on the losing end of trades and poor player development. With Hitchcock showing faith in Puljarvi, for example, and Woodcroft's resurgence in Bakersfield, that second problem may become a nonissue. The first problem is solved by firing Chia.

In regards to puck management, I agree. We just hired a new coach so the transition period will last at least 2-3 weeks. I'll wait until then to reevaluate. I just wish we fired Chia along with McLellan instead of waiting until the season ends.

Reactions: Aerrol

space321

May 11, 2011
Its not just about getting the pucks deep. As I explained in my post not getting the pucks deep is an example of the problem which is poor decision making. This team makes far too many poor decisions with and wothout the puck.

That IMO is the problem. Not addressing that and expecting a trade to fix things is akin to shuffling the deck chairs on a sinking ship with a gaping hole in the hull.

I disagree completely that puck management is a problem.

Seriously the problem with this team is very simple: many of our players are being relied on to play above their absolute abilities.

Our defensemen could all use a shift downward in the lineup. Klefbom is a 2D but he's relied on like a 1D, Larsson is a 3D/4D but relied on as a 2D. Nurse and Russell are 4D/5D abut are our 2nd pairing.

Our forward group faces the same problem, but is less pronounced because there's 3 forwards to cover for each other. Ideally guys like Kassian and Brodziak should never be getting above 4th line ice time. Khaira should be healthy scratched and used as a 13th forward. Caggiula and Chiasson should be secondary depth scoring options instead of being relied on as top 6 wingers night in night out. Puljujarvi should be perfecting his game and dominating the AHL like Nylander was doing, but instead he's also up here trying to learn on the fly.

No team in this league plays mistake free hockey 60 minutes a game for 82 games. Mistakes happen. You just need to capitalize on the opponents mistakes while preventing goals from your own mistakes, to do that you need better players and better matchups.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I disagree that puck management is a problem.

Seriously the problem with this team is very simple, many of our players are being relied on to play above their absolute abilities. Our defensemen could all use a shift downward in the lineup. Klefbom is a 2D but he's relied on like a 1D, Larsson is a 3D/4D but relied on as a 2D. Nurse and Russell are 4D/5D abut are our 2nd pairing.

Our forward group faces the same problem, but is less pronounced because there's 3 forwards to cover for each other. Ideally guys like Kassian and Brodziak should never be getting above 4th line ice time. Khaira should be healthy scratched and used as a 13th forward. Caggiula and Chiasson should be secondary depth scoring options instead of being relied on as top 6 wingers night in night out. Puljujarvi should be perfecting his game and dominating the AHL like Nylander was doing, but instead he's also up here trying to learn on the fly.

I am truly perplexed that you can state with conviction that decision making is not an issue with this team. I dont know what to say to that. Its hard to take that statement seriously.
Its not about mistake free hockey...I never stated that as a goal. If that were to happen then every game would be 0 - 0.
Its about limiting the poor decisions.

That aside...I agree with the part about players playing above their abilities. Sometimes though that can be addressed by applying the right role to the player. Something Hitch is attempting to do. Once the roles are properly defined and applied then you have a better idea of the deficiencies IMO.

Case in point Kassian has never been used in such a vital role as he is now, His minutes are up and he is playing really well. That entire line is playing really well. This is a new role and its working.

Reactions: Oilhawks

space321

May 11, 2011
I am truly perplexed that you can state with conviction that decision making is not an issue with this team. I dont know what to say to that. Its hard to take that statement seriously.

That aside...I agree with the part about players playing above their abilities. Sometimes though that can be addressed by applying the right role to the player. Something Hitch is attempting to do. Once the roles are properly defined and applied then you have a better idea of the deficiencies IMO.

Okay I should've said I don't think it's the MAIN problem. I didn't mean that it's not a problem at all.

Like if Brodziak and the identity cashed in on their chance(s) against LA we would've won that game. The coach can't team players how to finish or defend a 2 on 1 to perfection, it completely depends on the players innate abilities.

If we can only capitalize on 1/6 of our chances, while the opponent capitalizes on 1/3, we need to commit half their mistakes just to break even. That's really tough to do throughout an 82 game season, not to mention the playoffs. With better players and therefore better matchups, our conversion rate and defending rate will go up, AND better players make less mistakes, thus compounding the rate at which we improve.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Mistake #2.

This is a team issue.

I noticed the exact same things while watching the game last night and just kept thinking wtf... over and over.

Those things and more plague the Oil and not other teams. I'm sure the Oilers have set a record for pulling the goalie and not scoring a goal. Getting scored on at the very start or end of a period/game...

However when you notice stuff like that consistently over the course of however many years the culprit behind such weird and terrible habits is coaching. The coaching staff needs to identify and correct such behavior. Yes I know multiple coaches all have the same issue but it is up to them to change that stuff.

I would also disagree about Talbot. He has not been good enough for the majority of his time in Edmonton for the Oilers to be considered an nhl playoff calibre goalie. And is one of the main reasons we get scored on in big moments. Or completely deflates the team by being scored on the first shot. In general causes the whole teams sphincters to tighten up and add unnecessary pressure to the team in already stressful situations. In other words, outside his one great year he has absolutely been a big part of the reason the Oilers have been more bad than good. Talbots play leaves the whole team without confidence.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I noticed the exact same things while watching the game last night and just kept thinking wtf... over and over.

Those things and more plague the Oil and not other teams. I'm sure the Oilers have set a record for pulling the goalie and not scoring a goal. Getting scored on at the very start or end of a period/game...

However when you notice stuff like that consistently over the course of however many years the culprit behind such weird and terrible habits is coaching. The coaching staff needs to identify and correct such behavior. Yes I know multiple coaches all have the same issue but it is up to them to change that stuff.

I would also disagree about Talbot. He has not been good enough for the majority of his time in Edmonton for the Oilers to be considered an nhl playoff calibre goalie. In other words, outside his one great year he has absolutely been a big part of the reason the Oilers have been more bad than good.

I got a good laugh over the bolded because that was pretty much my reaction as well.
3 critical mistakes in a minute at the end of the 3rd period in a tie game...I mean come on!!!!

I agree with the rest of your post except I would not give up on Talbot just yet. I want to see more from him under Hitch.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I got a good laugh over the bolded because that was pretty much my reaction as well.
3 critical mistakes in a minute at the end of the 3rd period in a tie game...I mean come on!!!!

I agree with the rest of your post except I would not give up on Talbot just yet. I want to see more from him under Hitch.

I added more to my last post about Talbot.

Really believe he is a huge part of the problem. A team can't operate correctly without a goalie that can consistently stop basic nhl shots/plays especially easy first shots from blue lines or behind the red line...

Talbot really has been terrible.

The average nhl playoff calibre goalie does not make the mistakes Talbot does even remotely as frequently.

Reactions: Summary

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The team has a low panic threshold, there is no doubt about that. Derived from players being asked to play above pay grade in part, but its also from the lack of in game situation to better mentally handle the moment. This team has had very little experience in holding 1 goal leads as the clock is winding down. Once a team has that ability, via talent upgrade and the improved situational awareness that comes from repetitive positive experience (ie Confidence), they will become better at performing the task.

On the flip side, we have been scored on so many times in the first minute or first shot of the game and in the final minute of a period that players may have come to subconsciously expect the worst to happen, thus driving the panic threshold through the roof.

In 2016-17 we won many games in the last 1/4 of the season by 1 goal and became quite adept at holding those leads. The team regressed in that ability last year by not being in those situations and were more often the team chasing the game in the final minute, and it has carried over to this year.

As we infill talent gaps and gain confidence , I would anticipate the last minute panic threshold to decrease and allow us fans to breathe somewhat easier.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I added more to my last post about Talbot.

Really believe he is a huge part of the problem. A team can't operate correctly without a goalie that can consistently stop basic nhl shots/plays especially easy first shots from blue lines or behind the red line...

Talbot really has been terrible.

See...I think he has been improving in his last few starts. he actually looked good in the LA game and held them in the game in the first period. Poor Oiler decision making ended up costing them that game not unlike the game in Calgary when Koskinen played.

Overall Talbot was good in the last part of his first season and again in his 2nd season with the team. Thats a year and a half of solid golatending. So I think there is more there once he regains his confidence. Seeing a lot less high danger scoring chances IMO will help that immensely.
So thats why I think it would be a mistake at this point in time to trade Talbot. Not just because trading low (like the team did with Eberle) is a bad idea in and of itself but because I think Talbot has more game left.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
See...I think he has been improving in his last few starts. he actually looked good in the LA game and held them in the game in the first period. Poor Oiler decision making ended up costing them that game not unlike the game in Calgary when Koskinen played.

Overall Talbot was good in the last part of his first season and again in his 2nd season with the team. Thats a year and a half of solid golatending. So I think there is more there once he regains his confidence. Seeing a lot less high danger scoring chances IMO will help that immensely.
So thats why I think it would be a mistake at this point in time to trade Talbot. Not just because trading low (like the team did with Eberle) is a bad idea in and of itself but because I think Talbot has more game left.

Talbot was hung out to dry in that LA game. That game was an exception not the rule.

Talbot played great for one full season and parts of others. But when he is bad, which is far too often, he isn't even nhl caliber.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Talbot was hung out to dry in that LA game. That game was an exception not the rule.

Talbot played great for one full season and parts of others. But when he is bad, which is far too often, he isn't even nhl caliber.

I am not saying it was the rule...I am suggesting that it was evidence of his game getting better.
So while I agree on most of what you are saying in this thread I strongly disagree on Talbot.
I think it would be foolish to give up on him at this point in time.

Reactions: Messrules11

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Our D looks a hell of a lot better with Reggie and Bouchard there.

Adambom
Reggiechard
Nursell

Seems like a diverse and quality D. Could mix up the pairings differently and still look nice.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lack of scoring from the blue line is the biggest problem. Killing penalties is still a big problem also.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100%
I especially like the bolded. That is such an important part of all this...the timing of the lapses and the inability to turn things back in their favor.

Excellent post.

Such a distorted view lacking any understanding. The REASON that any lapse is fatal is that this team has a basic inability to score, and lacks scoring depth. So that when we're even in games its largely a dog fight to the end. We rarely win easy and only if the other club completely mails it in.

It really is that simple. To bag a win we need everything going right, knock out goaltending, and winning by one goal, usually in 3 on 3 because our club is built out like a basketball club. A few star players and nothing much else.

5 players on this club have 50 goals combined. The rest of the club has 13 goals combined. A completely laughable state of affairs and everything to do with the sad sack roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Mistake #2.

This is a team issue.

A whole lot of nothing stated here because its ALL observational. ALL your opinion. If you wanted to make this thread actually interesting, informative, you would have attempted to back up your hypothesis With substantiation that the Oilers are losing close games more than say other teams are. Or that its the biggest impediment to this clubs success. A few anecdotal mentions of results just means this is a timing thread. That what you mention has happened lately. Even ironically if the Oilers have WON two of those close games and lost two. I could even state the Oilers deserved to probably lose 3/4 of the most recent games.

If anything last season the concern expressed was usually that the Oilers were down early in games on first shots and usually trailing after first periods. You have a seeming theory here that the Oilers blow games late, histrionically, and it really isn't the case. Not much more than it is for most clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad