The Biggest Changes Needs to Be Leadership and Team Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
For many years now I strongly believe what has held the team back more than "lack of talent" was leadership and lack of good team culture. I think the rot started somewhere around 2010 and grew and entrenched itself from 2010-ish to mid 2010s. I think it had improved somewhat in the last couple of years or so but i don't think the cultural rot is completely cleansed. Lack of strong veteran leadership and presence and buy in from younger stars was a problem.

It seemed for years there was a separation between the older guard and the younger up and comers. It was fractured and you can never build good team culture and chem that way. Hard to get everyone into it and buy in when it's not tight and is a bit fractured.

I think the treatment of "outsiders" like Yak and Pooly also speaks to the cultural issues. Obviously some blame lies with those said players but i believe a strong united team culture with great leadership gets those guys in line and gets them to feel more a part of the team. It's clear Pooly did NOT feel this way and wants ANYTHING but to be back in the Oil dressing room. No matter how much blame lies with Pooly himself, the team culture and leadership definitely has a fair share of blame in this.

Connor is the best player in the league and has the desire to win and will likely be a great leader but i do not think he is that leader now. The organization's foolishness was to not surround him with several good veteran leaders. The team was too young and the vets were mostly 3rd or 4th liners who may not have been the most vocal leaders. Looch was a bust obviously and how could he lead when his own game was going into the crapper. Plus we needed more vet presence than just looch even if his game was on point.

Hopefully Neal helps a bit but he might also be finding his game this year. I wouldn't mind selling a bit of the future to get some quality vet players to help in the leadership and right the culture. We can't keep perpetuating the cycle of weak leadership and poor culture.

Note to a few who don't understand culture... it doesn't necessarily mean the room is in complete disarray and that there's infighting and a few a**holes on the team. It could just mean some combo of poor leadership, poor unity, a bit cliquey, not gettting everyone to buy in, not making everyone feel a part of a tight knit group, not instilling high standards in training and practicing regiment, not keeping everyone to a standard of proper rest (ie. enough sleep and rest and less partying and video games into the the early morn). Proper sleeping habits is so important. Even slightly less sleep could mean a 10% drop in performance compared to a well rested team and that can easily translate to a 5-2 loss on the scoreboard.

Culture and habits. Vital.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
For many years now I strongly believe what has held the team back more than "lack of talent" was leadership and lack of good team culture. I think the rot started somewhere around 2010 and grew and entrenched itself from 2010-ish to mid 2010s. I think it had improved somewhat in the last couple of years or so but i don't think the cultural rot is completely cleansed. Lack of strong veteran leadership and presence and buy in from younger stars was a problem.

It seemed for years there was a separation between the older guard and the younger up and comers. It was fractured and you can never build good team culture and chem that way. Hard to get everyone into it and buy in when it's not tight and is a bit fractured.

I think the treatment of "outsiders" like Yak and Pooly also speaks to the cultural issues. Obviously some blame lies with those said players but i believe a strong united team culture with great leadership gets those guys in line and gets them to feel more a part of the team. It's clear Pooly did NOT feel this way and wants ANYTHING but to be back in the Oil dressing room. No matter how much blame lies with Pooly himself, the team culture and leadership definitely has a fair share of blame in this.

Connor is the best player in the league and has the desire to win and will likely be a great leader but i do not think he is that leader now. The organization's foolishness was to not surround him with several good veteran leaders. The team was too young and the vets were mostly 3rd or 4th liners who may not have been the most vocal leaders. Looch was a bust obviously and how could he lead when his own game was going into the crapper. Plus we needed more vet presence than just looch even if his game was on point.

Hopefully Neal helps a bit but he might also be finding his game this year. I wouldn't mind selling a bit of the future to get some quality vet players to help in the leadership and right the culture. We can't keep perpetuating the cycle of weak leadership and poor culture.

Note to a few who don't understand culture... it doesn't necessarily mean the room is in complete disarray and that there's infighting and a few a**holes on the team. It could just mean some combo of poor leadership, poor unity, a bit cliquey, not gettting everyone to buy in, not making everyone feel a part of a tight knit group, not instilling high standards in training and practicing regiment, not keeping everyone to a standard of proper rest (ie. enough sleep and rest and less partying and video games into the the early morn). Proper sleeping habits is so important. Even slightly less sleep could mean a 10% drop in performance compared to a well rested team and that can easily translate to a 5-2 loss on the scoreboard.

It's a good thing you're here to tell McDavid how to be a better captain, and also the org on how to have a better culture. I don't know what they'd do without you HK97...ffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They’ve made really bad choices choosing veterans since 2010. I agree that’s been a big problem. They did nothing at all to surround Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. By 2010, the only thing Shawn Horcoff cared about was Shawn Horcoff. That’s what those guys learned from him. Hemsky was always hurt and likely not around much. Didn’t help that they labeled those kids as untouchables, didn’t require them to earn anything or face accountability. That’s where the poor culture started. That was under Tambellini and it didn’t get better under Mactavish. The vets he brought in were so bad they couldn’t play at all and were either bought out or spent most of their time in the AHL.

Chiarelli had a chance to fix it but got unlucky with Sekera’s health and then blew it completely with the Lucic signing. I can’t imagine how bad things around the team were with him around. Him leaving gives the team another shot at a culture change. Here’s to hoping they can start getting it right this time.

Reactions: harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yakupov was as much as an outsider as Draisaitl.

It's been noted that McDavid goes out of his way to make sure everyone is included and things arent too cliquey.

This thread is....yeah

Reactions: wokwithme

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lucics parting shot of "it will be nice to have an older captain" certainly gives some support to your theory.

I think some of the organization's lack of professionalism and preferential treatment goes from top to bottom and will most likely always be.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lucics parting shot of "it will be nice to have an older captain" certainly gives some support to your theory.

I think some of the organization's lack of professionalism and preferential treatment goes from top to bottom and will most likely always be.
Lucic's problem is he is a follower, not a leader.. And he was brought in to provide leadership, which he clearly doesn't have that trait.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree the locker room had been an issue that's plagued the Oilers for years. But a significant contributing factor to that has been losing. Plain and simple.

Over the years I don't think that we've had a bad egg in our locker room that any other team in the league couldn't deal with.

Win and your 'culture' is great. Considering Chiarelli is a big focus on this board, look no further than Boston and you'll see what winning does to your room.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

yJgIeCf.gif

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lucic's problem is he is a follower, not a leader.. And he was brought in to provide leadership, which he clearly doesn't have that trait.

When he quoted that it showed how weak he is mentally. He's a older player that's highly respected in the league. He should be embracing a leadership role instead of depending on other players to provide it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When he quoted that it showed how weak he is mentally. He's a older player that's highly respected in the league. He should be embracing a leadership role instead of depending on other players to provide it.

I think he was just rambling and reaching for excuses for why his game has fallen off a cliff. Too much pressure to be a leader. Too much pressure to be a tough power forward. Imagine if 2016 Lucic could hear the crap coming out of 2019 lucic's mouth. He would punch that guy right in the chops. And then proceed to have his game fall off a cliff too of course :DD

Reactions: DerpMorg

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid isn’t a good leader because Pool Party whined his way out?

Gotta love random internet people who think they know what the hell culture is like for a sports team. Up there with the body language experts for uselessness.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
By 2010, the only thing Shawn Horcoff cared about was Shawn Horcoff. That’s what those guys learned from him
QFT. Horcoff was also the start of the overpays in Edmonton. If a plumber like that is on 6x$5.5 how do you not pay Hall, Eberle, RNH more?

As for the OP .... :biglaugh:

Reactions: DerpMorg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
how many players are still on the roster from McDavid first game as an oiler?

the problem I see is that McDavid and Leon D have been forced to carry 18 other players every night

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
QFT. Horcoff was also the start of the overpays in Edmonton. If a plumber like that is on 6x$5.5 how do you not pay Hall, Eberle, RNH more?

As for the OP .... :biglaugh:
I've heard you say this before and don't think it's entirely accurate. Considering the Oilers saw him score 70 points making just $1m in 2006, then followed with three straight 50 point seasons at $3.6m, I wouldn't be using him as an example of 'overpaying' players.

Horcoff was a veteran UFA receiving payment based on proven production. His game obviously fell off shortly after signing that extension, but when that deal was signed there was no question of what he was capable of.

Hall and Eberle essentially followed the Kane and Toews deals. RNH's was clumsily handed to him after his second injury-shortened season.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've heard you say this before and don't think it's entirely accurate. Considering the Oilers saw him score 70 points making just $1m in 2006, then followed with three straight 50 point seasons at $3.6m, I wouldn't be using him as an example of 'overpaying' players.

Horcoff was a veteran UFA receiving payment based on proven production. His game obviously fell off shortly after signing that extension, but when that deal was signed there was no question of what he was capable of.

Hall and Eberle essentially followed the Kane and Toews deals. RNH's was clumsily handed to him after his second injury-shortened season.

also the fact the blow back from the Smyth fiasco-Oiler ownership needed to do something to prove that they were not cheap.

Oilers offered the contact--they did not have to do that

Reactions: belair

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
also the fact the blow back from the Smyth fiasco-Oiler ownership needed to do something to prove that they were not cheap.

Oilers offered the contact--they did not have to do that
As Kevin Lowe kindly put it, they were 'chasing a dream'.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Ahhhhh I donno.
All we need to do is have patience with our assets and accept that if we do things properly consistently we're going to have a team that's consistently good.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They had pretty much the same team in '16-'17 that they had in '17-'18 and '18-'19. Did the leaders just decide not to lead in those next 2 years? Of course not.
Klefbom got injured or was playing injured, Sekera didn't play for 2 years which exposed the goaltending and Chiarelli continued to sell off talent.

Bottom line, it's a lot easier to create a winning culture when you have better players who can help the team win games. Of course it's always nice to have veteran leadership on the team but unless the veteran is a top pairing defenseman, a top 6 winger or a #1 goalie, this team isn't going to win enough games PERIOD.

There are many reasons why the team has failed the last decade plus with one of the biggest problems being at the top (yes, a culture issue created by ownership) but that culture starts and ends with passing over more qualified front office people for cronies and as a result, incompetent management being rewarded for failure and incapable of fixing the many holes that the roster has had in that timeframe.
When was the last time the Oilers had LEGIT multiple scoring lines (even the '16-'17 team had a weak 2nd line most of the season), when was the last time they had a LEGIT top pairing Dman, a puckmoving Dman, a LEGIT #1 goalie, a LEGIT 2 way center who can win big faceoffs? My god, the management incompetence has been generally inept. Get some better players, win more games, create a better culture. The best remedy for a losing culture is to win games. Again, better players help the team win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad