The Big Moose

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
We need him to get going after the all-star break. Starting to resemble the same season Nylander had last yr after holding out for so long. Missing TC and then getting injured early in the season has really derailed Mikko. His timing is still off and his playmaking ability has seemingly disappeared. This all needs to change in the second half when games get tighter and Nathan will get shadowed even more. We need Mikko and Landy to be able to play with Nathan and not hinder him the way they have been since they both came back from injury.

I’m one of the biggest Mikko fans out there, but I agree with most of your assessment.

The timing still isn’t there and the vintage quick cuts and turns aren’t coming as frequently.

No training camp has a part to play, but I think more so, it’s the broken foot in the off-season that probably didn’t allow him to skate very much and then the in-season injury as well.

Honestly, I think Mikko is the key to this season.

If he finds his true form, the Avs are going to have a chance to make a deep run. If not, it will likely be a 1st round playoff exit.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Mikko's production since his injury has been disappointing, relative to what we're used to seeing, but one thing that doesn't help is that he doesn't really get the calls he should be getting.

It may be because he's so much bigger than about 90% of the guys he plays against, but I've never seen a guy get so few calls after literally piggybacking defenders or getting mauled by 2 guys when he has the puck. We complain about how Nate gets hooked and slashed in just about every shift, but Mikko also gets pretty sh*tty treatment with far fewer calls.

Edit: Yes, he still has to play better.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Man, maybe it's just me but I don't by the missing training camp stuff. He was on the ice for our first regular season game. Hell, he had an incredibly explosive start to the season but then just completely fell apart (by his standards) after his injury. I mean he had 12 points in 9 games through October 21 (1.33 PPG) and has had 22 points in the 24 games since returning (.917 PPG). I mean this season he has looked completely off but is still scoring at a 1.03 PPG clip.

Whatever it is that is bothering him, training camp is not the culprit here.
He was getting points but I wouldn't exactly say he was playing well. Go back and read some of those GDTs. Hell when he came back from injury he had a monster game and then went cold got a trick against the Devils and then went cold again. I think him missing camp hurt his conditioning and then getting injured afterwards added to that. He has looked dominant in about 3 games this season. The season opener, his return game from injury and the hat trick game and that's it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mikko's production since his injury has been disappointing, relative to what we're used to seeing, but one thing that doesn't help is that he doesn't really get the calls he should be getting.

It may be because he's so much bigger than about 90% of the guys he plays against, but I've never seen a guy get so few calls after literally piggybacking defenders or getting mauled by 2 guys when he has the puck. We complain about how Nate gets hooked and slashed in just about every shift, but Mikko also gets pretty sh*tty treatment with far fewer calls.

Edit: Yes, he still has to play better.
Guys who play that style hardly ever get the calls for some reason. See Foppa, see Draisaitl, see Jagr.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The lack of PP goals is hurting him a lot. I also think he’s still hurt, because his forecheck just isn’t there right now.

Landeskog being a black hole offensively isn’t helping that line, but Mackinnon is getting by regardless.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Moose b*tch, get out the way

giphy.gif

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I’m one of the biggest Mikko fans out there, but I agree with most of your assessment.

The timing still isn’t there and the vintage quick cuts and turns aren’t coming as frequently.

No training camp has a part to play, but I think more so, it’s the broken foot in the off-season that probably didn’t allow him to skate very much and then the in-season injury as well.

Honestly, I think Mikko is the key to this season.

If he finds his true form, the Avs are going to have a chance to make a deep run. If not, it will likely be a 1st round playoff exit.
I was not aware of the off-season broken foot. Thanks for that tidbit.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The lack of PP goals is hurting him a lot. I also think he’s still hurt, because his forecheck just isn’t there right now.

Landeskog being a black hole offensively isn’t helping that line, but Mackinnon is getting by regardless.
Bump.

Mikko has been playing a bit better the last couple of games but after watching closely the past month or so I strongly believe he won't go back to being the dominating player he was last year unless he changes his puck possession style. IMO the rest of the league has figured him out when he is carrying the puck. 90% of the time he tries to go around a player while protecting the puck with his left arm and controlling the puck with one arm only. If you watch the plays carefully you will notice that they now use one guy to play him hard physically to tie him up while another player comes in to help and stealing the puck from him. The first guy is playing him so tough that he cannot make a play with just one hand. He just needs to tie him up long enough for his teammate to strip the puck from Mikko.

The reason Mack, Bura, Landy, Calvert, and to lesser extend guys like Donskoi, Kadri and Nieto, get separation is because they change direction on a dime but most of the time they also keep both hands on their stick so they are ready to make a play quickly when it develops. You can't do that with only one hand on your stick. I'm not asking him to become Duchene and spin around all the time but he needs to incorporate that more into his game to be less predictable and change it up for the defender. When he gets away from that one-arm puck protection play he will go back to being very dangerous..................and he will be able to stay on his feet more by having more space.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Bump.

Mikko has been playing a bit better the last couple of games but after watching closely the past month or so I strongly believe he won't go back to being the dominating player he was last year unless he changes his puck possession style. IMO the rest of the league has figured him out when he is carrying the puck. 90% of the time he tries to go around a player while protecting the puck with his left arm and controlling the puck with one arm only. If you watch the plays carefully you will notice that they now use one guy to play him hard physically to tie him up while another player comes in to help and stealing the puck from him. The first guy is playing him so tough that he cannot make a play with just one hand. He just needs to tie him up long enough for his teammate to strip the puck from Mikko.

The reason Mack, Bura, Landy, Calvert, and to lesser extend guys like Donskoi, Kadri and Nieto, get separation is because they change direction on a dime but most of the time they also keep both hands on their stick so they are ready to make a play quickly when it develops. You can't do that with only one hand on your stick. I'm not asking him to become Duchene and spin around all the time but he needs to incorporate that more into his game to be less predictable and change it up for the defender. When he gets away from that one-arm puck protection play he will go back to being very dangerous..................and he will be able to stay on his feet more by having more space.
He’s definitely been better. I’m not sure if that’s because he’s improved, or is getting healthier. Or the fact that Landy looks so bad on that line with him, that it makes him look better. Mackinnon isn’t setting rants up nearly as much as he was last year, either.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bump.

I don't think it's long term. Its pretty obvious his agility is not back to what it was. Hes also not threading passes the way he had been, probably due to confidence.

He has looked better lately, and faster. So that's a good sign.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He’s definitely been better. I’m not sure if that’s because he’s improved, or is getting healthier. Or the fact that Landy looks so bad on that line with him, that it makes him look better. Mackinnon isn’t setting rants up nearly as much as he was last year, either.

Mack has looked for Makar a lot lately because he is obsessed with that pull up, and hit the trailer move.

If I have one complaint about Mack it's his ability to get tunnel vision for long stretches regarding what he does after he enters the zone.

Last night Mack actually drove the puck down low behind the net, and I about fell off the couch.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Mack has looked for Makar a lot lately because he is obsessed with that pull up, and hit the trailer move.

If I have one complaint about Mack it's his ability to get tunnel vision for long stretches regarding what he does after he enters the zone.

Last night Mack actually drove the puck down low behind the net, and I about fell off the couch.
Yeah Mack needs to do it a bit less but Mikko needs to do it more.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Yeah he uses that button hook 99% of the time. It’s fine because he’s fast enough to keep the puck away when the Dman gets close. I’m glad he’s always looking for Makar.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah Mack needs to do it a bit less but Mikko needs to do it more.

Yeah he uses that button hook 99% of the time. It’s fine because he’s fast enough to keep the puck away when the Dman gets close. I’m glad he’s always looking for Makar.

Hes at his best when he changes it up, his luls come when hes more predictable. Sometimes that's his fault, sometimes his linemates.

Its obviously nitpicking, but we've sucked long enough, it's nice to sweat the small shit lol.

Landeskog looks healthy now to me, but has the puck too much, and hes never been a play maker. Like Bura the dude is best when it's on and off his stick unless hes already down low cycling. Even in his younger days his best zone entries came from that soft dump and chase move.

It's kind of interesting what the outcome has been at different times due to the top line not being all that healthy at the same time. Hopefully we get to see it hit full stride at some point soon. They'll need to if Kadri is out for any period of time.

Nuke can do everything, but I'm not sure he can center the second line lol. I could be wrong though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s taken som heat in the playoffs, but shout out to the Moose for making a couple huge plays to force game 7.

Not many guys in the league have the hands to laser a puck out of the air like this.

Hard to see on this video, but he had an awesome touch pass to Cale on his goal. So quick you can barely see it.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Hey all, I thought I would create a thread for general Mikko Rantanen worship and discussion.

What a treat to watch this guy in an Avs uniform. 6’4 220 with silky smooth hands.

I think he just turned 23 and is probably still a year away from hitting his prime. He’s finally getting his grown man strength and it’s showing out on the ice, with the way he shrugs off small humans trying to check him.

One thing I’ll say, this guy is an absolute gamer. He shows up in the playoffs and after no training camp and like two practices he throws up 4 points in 14 shifts. Unreal.

Maybe the best draft pick of the Sakic era, considering what he’s become after being drafted 10th overall.
View attachment 285285

Pierre, is that you?!

LOL I love Mikko. I hope he continues to elevate his game

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017
he falls and fumbles and does dumb shit a lot but hes still my favorite active player and its not close.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He’s taken som heat in the playoffs, but shout out to the Moose for making a couple huge plays to force game 7.

Not many guys in the league have the hands to laser a puck out of the air like this.

Hard to see on this video, but he had an awesome touch pass to Cale on his goal. So quick you can barely see it.

Do you have a gif of that one-timer Mackinnon scored from the slot earlier in the series off a Rantanen saucer? These two guys are blatantly trying to one-up one another to see who can pull of the best sauce lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->