The Big-6 New York/New Jersey summer additions have combined for a negative goals above replacement

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
upload_2020-2-17_21-41-19.png

The combined GAR of these 6 hyped off-season acquisitions, according to Evolving Hockey, is -0.2.

The funny part about this, that really makes it thread worthy? Artemi Panarin leads the NHL in this metric, with 1.2 more GAR than 2nd place.

upload_2020-2-17_21-42-30.png

The other wild part that really sticks out to me is that Gusev has the 2nd best GAR out of these guys. Although I still had higher expectations for Gusev than what he's actually done, if you had told me that one guy here would bomb out and play below replacement level, I would have guessed it would be Gusev failing to make the transition over to playing on North American ice. And if you had told me that one guy would bomb out and play below replacement level and it wouldn't be Gusev, I would've guessed it would be Hughes struggling to play against men.

While Panarin's Hart Trophy level season has caught everybody a bit off-guard, it's probably the least surprising part of this list.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Rangers added Fox too if you're going to include rookies.

Yeah, Fox has been a total stud, he’s got an excellent GAR and would totally kill the narrative here. However, I honestly wanted to look at just these 6 players as they were really hyped and were compared side-by-side. (Kakko to Hughes, Trouba to Subban, and Panarin to Gusev even if the last one was always silly.)

For the same reason, I didn’t include Simmonds who is negative. If you add Fox, Simmonds, Haley, and McKegg to the bunch, it’s still not that far above 0. Fox has 11.8, McKegg has -5.8, and Haley and Simmonds both have -1.9.

Reactions: Saitama and hn777

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, Fox has been a total stud, he’s got an excellent GAR and would totally kill the narrative here. However, I honestly wanted to look at just these 6 players as they were really hyped and were compared side-by-side. (Kakko to Hughes, Trouba to Subban, and Panarin to Gusev even if the last one was always silly.)

For the same reason, I didn’t include Simmonds who is negative. If you add Fox, Simmonds, Haley, and McKegg to the bunch, it’s still not that far above 0. Fox has 11.8, McKegg has -5.8, and Haley and Simmonds both have -1.9.
No, I know, I just wanted to see. How freakin bad is Draisaitl's EVD that he's not even in the top-25 lirl.

Good thread. Kakko being so far behind Hughes is pretty surprising for me, as I would've expected the opposite
Hughes gets an absurd amount of O-zone starts/face-offs which I'm sure hasn't hurt; He's literally in the 100th percentile. Kakko's O/N/D-zone starts are all even which I didn't realize until now and am kind of irritated by. Kakko is also very good on the PP but has played on the 2nd unit all season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kakko's had a really good stretch recently so hopefully that GAR stat....um......improves lol

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Panarin and Fox have been amazing this year for the Rangers. Trouba not so good, Kakko just turned 19 and his play last 10-15 games has been much better.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Meh, im just happy Blackwood is a legitimate starting goalie lol. With the timeline of NJ's window shifting with the departures of Hall, Coleman, and maybe Palmieri. They have three really good core pieces. NYR remind me of NJ's awkward timeline with Panarin and Zibanejad carrying, while the youth is not yet established

Reactions: Saitama

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Well, why not compare them on individual levels.

Panarin vs Gusev...Panarin is the best of the two by a mile but both are okay I guess having a positive GAR.
Kakko vs Hughes...Well it's clear...but is it worth it to compare rookies.
Trouba vs Subban...both sucks.

You also go to explain why you excluded some players, and mention that it would not have made a huge difference. But your main argument is that among the 6 cited playes its a negative value (by a 0.2). If you include everyone, it's a +2 GAR globaly, much better than a -0.2.

Just my two cents.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Subban has been a disappointment for sure for New Jersey. I expected some big things from that team this year with the addition of Subban.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah, Subban has been a disappointment for sure for New Jersey. I expected some big things from that team this year with the addition of Subban.

It’s crazy to watch him this year l and think “this guy has a Norris and used to be a bonafide #1.”

He’s completely ineffective. I didn’t expect him to be competing for a Norris again, but I did expect him to at least look like a good #3 who could be dangerous on the PP. He’s been neither.

Reactions: DaveG

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Hughes gets an absurd amount of O-zone starts/face-offs which I'm sure hasn't hurt; He's literally in the 100th percentile. Kakko's O/N/D-zone starts are all even which I didn't realize until now and am kind of irritated by. Kakko is also very good on the PP but has played on the 2nd unit all season.

Hughes is terrible at faceoffs, as most 18 y.o. centers are, so it's not surprising that they don't want him taking any in the defensive zone. He's sheltered, but I don't think he's sheltered to the extent that the zone starts suggest he is. For example, he gets shifts late in close games and at critical times.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Nice to see a metric quantitatively showing that Subban has been shit. Devils fans on our boards for some reason will defend his play, saying that he's been solid defensively even if there has been no offense. I don't see it myself, and I think his antics are a locker room detriment, not a positive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes is terrible at faceoffs, as most 18 y.o. centers are, so it's not surprising that they don't want him taking any in the defensive zone. He's sheltered, but I don't think he's sheltered to the extent that the zone starts suggest he is. For example, he gets shifts late in close games and at critical times.

Hughes is unusually bad at face offs for a player who is constantly used at center. Even in junior his numbers were terrible, and this was against a lot of players who won’t make the NHL.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The fact that Panarin is +21.6 while the other 5 are a combined -21.8 is the fun part. Panarin’s season has honestly been underrated.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Trouba and Subban are there to be rock solid shutdown D men, NOT to produce!

sarcasm.gif
I mean that's kind of true for Trouba. He's been anchoring the shutdown pair, and for the first 20 games he had to do it with a rookie Libor Hajek. Hajek is literally in the 0th percentile for Shot Share among defensemen with more than 100 5v5 minutes. I don't think it's a secret that a lot of Trouba's points last year were on the PP, but he's been on our #2 unit all season. Morrissey hasn't had a good year either, I think it's a matter of finding them the right partners.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad