The Big 4 (Ranking)

Brokenhead

Feb 8, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Yes he is our best player, but keep in mind he is a little older than Hall, Nuge and Yak. I expect Nuge will be the best of the bunch eventually, but Eberle constantly surprises me.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
In my opinion he definitely is and it's not even close.

He looks like he's been playing for 10 years and is ALWAYS dangerous when he's on the ice.

I'm not sure what the future holds but I know that our current Oilers have a lot of catching up to do to reach Eberle's level.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Eberle is older... but im starting to think he might end up the best too.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Eberle just gets better and better. It is impossible to gauge his upside. I remember how many around here thought he would end being a 50-60 point player in his prime after his rookie year. Then he comes back and scores at a nearly PPG pace during his second year. Right now he is clearly the most polished, if not necessarily the most skilled of the big 4. What happens in the future remains to be seen.

pocketful

"We'll see"
Feb 3, 2012
A lot of people expect Eberle to peak but he keeps on surprising. As of now, he is definitely our best player and will probably lead the team in points for the next couple of years. In the future I see it being

RNH
Eberle
Hall

It's still a bit early for me to gauge Yakupov. I see him behind RNH in the future but he could come out on top. And Hall behind the other three is no knock on him. We are lucky to have these four with us.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Eberle's development to date has been nothing short of spectacular. I've always felt Eberle's hockey career has had a lot of similarities to Claude Giroux's.

I consider Hall to be an Iginla type player. Iginla doesn't have the league's most elite shot, passing, or skating, yet he has been one of the most lethal/dangerous forwards over the past decade. Hall has a similar thing going. His shot, passing, and vision aren't as elite as some of his teammates, but the guy generates offense and chances like no other.

I think RNH will prove to be the most valuable, specifically in regards to quantifiable stats. As a no.1 centre, he's probably the most important player on the Oilers. Eventually he'll be leading this team in points and be really effective defensively.

I suspect Yakupov will be the best finisher on the Oilers. If anyone on this team has the potential to score 50, it's him. His passing is also good enough that I think he'll maintain a 1:1 in regards to goals and assists.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I see a lot of you guys saying Eberle is the oilers best player "currently", which is exactly what I said at the end of last year and throughout the summer only to be berated by Oiler fans.

I watched a ton of their games from their rookie season and easily saw Eberle as the more polished and refined NHL guy after last season yet many of you guys suggested Hall was better, and those who thought Eberle was better were just simply "looking at the stat sheet". And I quote "If you do a poll on HFOil on who's the better player, Hall will easily beat Eberle".

Eberle hasn't drastically increased his level of play at all over the last 6 months, he's simply sustaining his high level from last year. Last year he easily had the better vision, passing ability, shot, hockey IQ, backhand and composure, and still does.

So what has changed that most of you consider him better now?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
If Eberle ends up as the worst of the bunch as some believe this team will be truly insane because as of now he's slowly heading towards being one of the top players in the league. He's real good.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I see a lot of you guys saying Eberle is the oilers best player "currently", which is exactly what I said at the end of last year and throughout the summer only to be berated by Oiler fans.

I watched a ton of their games from their rookie season and easily saw Eberle as the more polished and refined NHL guy after last season yet many of you guys suggested Hall was better, and those who thought Eberle was better were just simply "looking at the stat sheet". And I quote "If you do a poll on HFOil on who's the better player, Hall will easily beat Eberle".

Eberle hasn't drastically increased his level of play at all over the last 6 months, he's simply sustaining his high level from last year. Last year he easily had the better vision, passing ability, shot, hockey IQ, backhand and composure, and still does.

So what has changed that most of you consider him better now?

Obviously it's his unsustainable shooting percentage :D

I personally don't like to rank players, but I think Ebs is the best. That's just because he's my favorite Oiler though.

Everyone has good points about who they think will be the best in the future/ The poster that said each player is the best at their own qualities is right on in my opinion.

TTTT

Jan 7, 2010
I also tend to think of players development as a non linear process. Even with the 1st overall, you can't really predict how a player will fare in 3-4 years. You can guess they'll become better, but how much is tough to gauge.

What we can see is year to year progression (play-wise and stat-wise), and that's why I think Eberle will be hard to reach in terms of offensive ability, even if he doesn't have the same tools that Yak's or Hall's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle gets the glory, but Hall is the engine.

Succinct, and true.

Hall is what gives the line its space, physical presence, and speed. Remove Hall from that line and you don't have the same open ice, you don't have the same stretched D, the same gaps for RNH, Eberle to expertly exploit. The chaos in Halls game is good chaos for the most part because it makes the defenders respond to it because if they don't he has burn speed. You take the turnovers, and bobbled pucks gladly because Hall breaks the D contain and system enough times.

In a tight checking game Hall is the only one able to get much of anything done.

As good as Eberle is he's sub RNH, or Hall, in creating in tight checking. Eberle is imminently dangerous when open ice is afforded.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Succinct, and true.

Hall is what gives the line its space, physical presence, and speed. Remove Hall from that line and you don't have the same open ice, you don't have the same stretched D, the same gaps for RNH, Eberle to expertly exploit. The chaos in Halls game is good chaos for the most part because it makes the defenders respond to it because if they don't he has burn speed. You take the turnovers, and bobbled pucks gladly because Hall breaks the D contain and system enough times.

In a tight checking game Hall is the only one able to get much of anything done.

As good as Eberle is he's sub RNH, or Hall, in creating in tight checking. Eberle is imminently dangerous when open ice is afforded.

I don't get this, Eberle was producing at identical rates when Hall was off that top line after what? a month last season and he was with RNH for most of the time? he once again produced at a similar rate when both RNH and Hall were both injured and he was playing primary with Gagner.

He had 56 ES points last season and we all know most of that was spent playing without Hall on his 5v5 line. So I don't buy that Hall influences that much of Eberle's game, the kid can pretty much adapt on the fly, but I guess playing with Hall and letting him do his thing just makes it easier for him.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Succinct, and true.

Last nights game was a perfect example of that. Hall repeatedly pushed COL's Dmen back creating space at the top of the circles. It gave Eberle the room to unlesh his dirty snipe and allows Schultz to move into the slot more readily.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't get this, Eberle was producing at identical rates when Hall was off that top line after what? a month last season and he was with RNH for most of the time? he once again produced at a similar rate when both RNH and Hall were both injured and he was playing primary with Gagner.

He had 56 ES points last season and we all know most of that was spent playing without Hall on his 5v5 line. So I don't buy that Hall influences that much of Eberle's game, the kid can pretty much adapt on the fly, but I guess playing with Hall and letting him do his thing just makes it easier for him.

I key on Eberle a lot in tight checking games and unfortunately here, and in the AHL he has been impacted by tight checking. Without any space and blanket coverage his effectiveness drops off. You look at his play in games like Calgary, LA, those are the battles he needs to overcome. This is no knock on him whatsover and his game has just grown in leaps and bounds. Extremely confident player. But sometimes more reliant on the easier games then I would like. Hall is more effective in battle hardened games just due to his speed and physical gifts. He's already learning to bull and will be a powerforward if his shoulders are up to it.

RNH is actually better than Eberle at making plays in tight coverage with his play on the Gagner game winner being a perfect example.

NMK

Feb 3, 2007
Hi Habs Fan coming in peace,

I just wanted to know the edm board's opinion on how they would rank their top4 forwards?

I have always been a diehard Eberle fan since he got draft in 2008 22nd overall with his ability to be Mr. Clutch and in-tight skill.

But, my overall ranking of the 4 would look something like this:

1 - RNH: His hockey smarts and puck distribution skills are off the charts. He's the guy you always want to have on your powerplay and the guy you'll count on to make those jawdropping tape-to-tape passes.
2 - Eberle: Mr. Clutch 'nuff said.
3 - Hall: Never sold on Hall and i find it weird how some people have him over the two mentioned above; however I do see what he has to bring to the table. Once considered a premier sniper, now has shown to become a more well-rounded player who is helping in every aspect offensively.
4 - Yakupov: A one-dimensional sniper, who has a nag for being in those sweet spots for goals. He's in his first year in the NHL so it is hard to gouge how well his development will progress. But it is quite possible that he surpasses Hall in my ranking in the future.

So I'd like to know your thoughts concerning your Big 4

Pretty much exactly, except I do not see Yakupov surpassing Hall in importance to the club ever.
Hard to rank RNH, Hall, and Eberle in importance to the Oilers, but I would put RNH slightly ahead based solely on position, however the top 3 are VERY close.
I am a fan of Gagner, but he is not a true #1 center. RNH is, has elite written all over him, especially with linemates like Eberle and Hall. Very good in both ends of the rink.
No one else on the Oilers has the pure scoring ability, skill, AND vision that Eberle does. He is a top 10 scorer in the league for the next 10 years IMHO.
Hall is the wildcard. He is so skilled, so strong, so fast, and has such a will to win, that if he can begin to play a simpler game, a power game, he could easily be the top of this ranking.
Yakupov to me is VERY fast, has good skill, and an all-world shot, but lacks defensive awareness and is not a good passer. He has average hockey IQ at this (very early) stage of his career. I do not believe he will have more than 70 points in his career (with the Oilers), like the others will on an annual basis. This is almost exclusively because he will be the 4th wheel on this team.
I think after his RFA years, Yakupov will be traded or sign with another club. I do not believe the others will.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Last nights game was a perfect example of that. Hall repeatedly pushed COL's Dmen back creating space at the top of the circles. It gave Eberle the room to unlesh his dirty snipe and allows Schultz to move into the slot more readily.

Yep. You simply have to respect Hall's speed. If you don't, he's by you and you possibly just gave up a goal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in a straight line, at full speed, there's not a player in the league that can keep up with Hall

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I key on Eberle a lot in tight checking games and unfortunately here, and in the AHL he has been impacted by tight checking. Without any space and blanket coverage his effectiveness drops off. You look at his play in games like Calgary, LA, those are the battles he needs to overcome. This is no knock on him whatsover and his game has just grown in leaps and bounds. Extremely confident player. But sometimes more reliant on the easier games then I would like. Hall is more effective in battle hardened games just due to his speed and physical gifts. He's already learning to bull and will be a powerforward if his shoulders are up to it.

RNH is actually better than Eberle at making plays in tight coverage with his play on the Gagner game winner being a perfect example.

Not going to argue that Hall isn't better in tight checking games, but none of the Oilers stars are particularly strong against that type of game either way. Hall just gives them more of a headache. A particular thing I've noticed is that once he's able to open up that space for his teammates, his ability to get the puck to them is less than stellar, whether it be a bad decision or pass.

If the kid ever took stickhandling lessons from Eberle he'd probably be the most dangerous player in the league. :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not going to argue that Hall isn't better in tight checking games, but none of the Oilers stars are particularly strong against that type of game either way. Hall just gives them more of a headache. A particular thing I've noticed is that once he's able to open up that space for his teammates, his ability to get the puck to them is less than stellar, whether it be a bad decision or pass.

If the kid ever took stickhandling lessons from Eberle he'd probably be the most dangerous player in the league. :laugh:

To be fair, you can't teach hands like that. Eberle is definitely top 5 in the league in that regard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad