The Big 4 (Ranking)

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
Hi Habs Fan coming in peace,

I just wanted to know the edm board's opinion on how they would rank their top4 forwards?

I have always been a diehard Eberle fan since he got draft in 2008 22nd overall with his ability to be Mr. Clutch and in-tight skill.

But, my overall ranking of the 4 would look something like this:

1 - RNH: His hockey smarts and puck distribution skills are off the charts. He's the guy you always want to have on your powerplay and the guy you'll count on to make those jawdropping tape-to-tape passes.
2 - Eberle: Mr. Clutch 'nuff said.
3 - Hall: Never sold on Hall and i find it weird how some people have him over the two mentioned above; however I do see what he has to bring to the table. Once considered a premier sniper, now has shown to become a more well-rounded player who is helping in every aspect offensively.
4 - Yakupov: A one-dimensional sniper, who has a nag for being in those sweet spots for goals. He's in his first year in the NHL so it is hard to gouge how well his development will progress. But it is quite possible that he surpasses Hall in my ranking in the future.

So I'd like to know your thoughts concerning your Big 4

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hi Habs Fan coming in peace,

I just wanted to know the edm board's opinion on how they would rank their top4 forwards?

I have always been a diehard Eberle fan since he got draft in 2008 22nd overall with his ability to be Mr. Clutch and in-tight skill.

But, my overall ranking of the 4 would look something like this:

1 - RNH: His hockey smarts and puck distribution skills are off the charts. He's the guy you always want to have on your powerplay and the guy you'll count on to make those jawdropping tape-to-tape passes.
2 - Eberle: Mr. Clutch 'nuff said.
3 - Hall: Never sold on Hall and i find it weird how some people have him over the two mentioned above; however I do see what he has to bring to the table. Once considered a premier sniper, now has shown to become a more well-rounded player who is helping in every aspect offensively.
4 - Yakupov: A one-dimensional sniper, who has a nag for being in those sweet spots for goals. He's in his first year in the NHL so it is hard to gouge how well his development will progress. But it is quite possible that he surpasses Hall in my ranking in the future.

So I'd like to know your thoughts concerning your Big 4

Good assessment. Pretty much what most on this board feel in terms of rankings.

Only difference is Hall is all heart, little hockey smarts. He does things by willing them himself, but is also the pulse of this team. Talent-wise he is 3rd, but many Oiler fans would place him as #1 in terms of importance to our rebuild.

Yakupov IMHO will be all over the map. Being Russian tends to mean you have a 50 goal season followed by a 13 goal season, then being in the doghouse for a couple years, then back to 50 goals. The Oilers need to ride his enthusiasm for the duration of his entry level contract, as most NHL Russians lose their drive and emotion during their mid 20's.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Guys are young and developing like crazy, day to day season to season things change. 4 Games is a tiny sample size, but for argument I present my take on their seasons-to-date:

1. Eberle - The most consistently effective player on the Oilers. He is elite.
2. Yakupov - Has made an impact, is not easily manhandled/shut down, has some defensive awareness, skates HARD and is usually noticeable in relatively limited ice time. Potential is brimming, experience will do wonders. Semi-biased.
3. Hall - On and off, not driving the engine as per usual, but still generally effective. Best/strongest of the 4 playing against other elite players.
4. RNH - A little wobbly, still gaming, but not finding his happy place just yet. Looking sneaky dangerous from time to time, the odd pickpocket, not looking elite or consistent yet.
5. Teemu Hartikainen: Better than Gretzky

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Its a difference, how good they are already and future expectations.

Would rank them know as Ebs
Hall
Rnh
Yakupov

MY Expectations Hall
Rnh
Ebs
Yak

but its a pretty tight call between Hall and Rnh, could go either way!

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
It's fun to do this kind of thing, but it's all guess work. In 2 years we might know a bit better. Right now it's a crap shoot

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Aside from RNH, I suspect that Yakupov is going to be the best of the bunch.

His release and his skating are elite but more importantly, he competes harder than anyone I've seen wear blue and orange in quite awhile.

In the long term:

1(a) RNH
1(b) Yakupov
3 Hall
4 Eberle

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
As of now

1. Ebs- he is 22
2. RNH- he is 19
3. Hall- he is 21
4. Yak- he is 19

My prediction in 2015-16
1. RNH -@22 90-100 points
2. Ebs- @ 25 85-95 points
3. Yak- @ 22 40 goals
4. Hall- @24 75-85 points but the leader of the team like #11

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
It's fun to do this kind of thing, but it's all guess work. In 2 years we might know a bit better. Right now it's a crap shoot

Agree thats very hard to predict development! Remember the hype about Gags and cogs years back in our board.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
right now:
1. Eberle
2. Hall
3. RNH
4. Yakupov

On potential:

1. RNH
2.Yakupov
3. Hall
4. Eberle

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov
Hall

RNH is the only one that has a chance of being the top guy ahead of Eberle.

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
So for the most part people see things the same as I; but, thanks Perfect_Drug for the tip on Hall as an outsider looking in I wouldn't have known of Hall's contribution to the team more as an image than his productivity and skill level. More on Yakupov, I believe he has one hell of a shot (Elite shot) but from the games I've seen him play in Sarnia or at the world stage he is far from a complete package, whereas a player like Hall at least has shown he can adapt his role to become a solid 2-way forward with high offensive upside. But, like some have suggested already it is still too early to tell. I'm so jealous of the core Edmonton has lolz.

All the best for this season guys, I have you guys in the playoffs with your line up there shouldn't be an excuse to miss it again!!! Good luck!

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hall would be better if he didn't try the same dangle over and over. Use your speed son and cut to the net.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
i really think yakupov is gonna suprise some people here. he is very dangerous already whenever he has the puck.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Schultz > any of the big 4.

Anyways:

Right Now

Hall
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov

Future

RNH
Eberle
Hall/Yakupov

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
My wife and I were at the game on saturday and she made the comment "Yakupov is sooo fast, i can't believe it."

Sure enough, every shift out there he was the fastest guy on the ice. He can do everything at top speeds, with the puck. There aren't many players in the league that can play with the puck at full speeds, furthermore his shot is incredible.

One thing that surprised me is that he is quite often out of position, but can make up for it with his speed. He was often the first guy back, or he'd be out of position in the D-zone, and from a dead stop could catch other players that were already in full motion.

What I like about Hall is, he's now trying things that worked in Junior that people told him didn't work in the NHL, but actually do. (Instead of driving straight to the net, he'll try a move on a defender and it's working.)

Nuge has some of the best edge-work i've ever seen. He's actually not really fast, but since it's a game of stop and starts, his edge-work makes him incredible. He's also really hard to knock of the puck. He was out-muscling guys twice his size.

Ebs has the best understanding that Hockey is ultimately about only 1 thing, scoring goals. He knows how to use his teamates and himself to get pucks in the net. I notice Yakupov is actually using his teamates too much, where as ebs knows the perfect balance.

All 4 of these guys have their own specialties.

Eberle's play seems to translate into points more than the others so far, but I think you can argue that Hall's specialty of creating space in the neutral zone to get pucks in deep so that Ebs and nuge can take over the cycle tend to play into that a lot.

edit: Just wanted to add a comment about Hall. More than any other Oiler, he makes the players around him better. Us Oiler fans are guilty of saying for the past 10 years "If Hemsky only had decent linemates."
Hall can create his own offence so he doesn't need the linemates (save for a good first pass d-man) and he makes everyone around him better.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Aside from RNH, I suspect that Yakupov is going to be the best of the bunch.

His release and his skating are elite but more importantly, he competes harder than anyone I've seen wear blue and orange in quite awhile.

In the long term:

1(a) RNH
1(b) Yakupov
3 Hall
4 Eberle

right now:
1. Eberle
2. Hall
3. RNH
4. Yakupov

On potential:

1. RNH
2.Yakupov
3. Hall
4. Eberle

Pretty much the way I see it. Yak is young and only going to get better. Could be the best of the lot. Not sure Eberle will sink relative to the others. He's the greasiest kid around the net and thats where the gold is mined. A few people will be surprised soon enough to find the Gagner is indistinguishable from the above mix.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My wife and I were at the game on saturday and she made the comment "Yakupov is sooo fast, i can't believe it."

Sure enough, every shift out there he was the fastest guy on the ice. He can do everything at top speeds, with the puck. There aren't many players in the league that can play with the puck at full speeds, furthermore his shot is incredible.

One thing that surprised me is that he is quite often out of position, but can make up for it with his speed. He was often the first guy back, or he'd be out of position in the D-zone, and from a dead stop could catch other players that were already in full motion.

What I like about Hall is, he's now trying things that worked in Junior that people told him didn't work in the NHL, but actually do. (Instead of driving straight to the net, he'll try a move on a defender and it's working.)

Nuge has some of the best edge-work i've ever seen. He's actually not really fast, but since it's a game of stop and starts, his edge-work makes him incredible. He's also really hard to knock of the puck. He was out-muscling guys twice his size.

Ebs has the best understanding that Hockey is ultimately about only 1 thing, scoring goals. He knows how to use his teamates and himself to get pucks in the net. I notice Yakupov is actually using his teamates too much, where as ebs knows the perfect balance.

All 4 of these guys have their own specialties.

Eberle's play seems to translate into points more than the others so far, but I think you can argue that Hall's specialty of creating space in the neutral zone to get pucks in deep so that Ebs and nuge can take over the cycle tend to play into that a lot.

edit: Just wanted to add a comment about Hall. More than any other Oiler, he makes the players around him better. Us Oiler fans are guilty of saying for the past 10 years "If Hemsky only had decent linemates."
Hall can create his own offence so he doesn't need the linemates (save for a good first pass d-man) and he makes everyone around him better.

Yep, any understanding of the foibles in either Yak or Halls game needs to consider the speed in which they attack. Its harder to maintain full puck control at high speed but if you do your in on net with a serious scoring chance. Which is why you do it. Plus anybody thats played D knows what a nightmare it is facing either. You can never cheat, are never comfortable, and always have to look out for the rockets. Guys like Yak or Hall create space for everybody because they push the D cover.

Plus both have powerforward potential which the other two don't. I don't agree with you on the Nuge assessment and overall I'm seeing him losing most puck battles.

Yak could be the "next one".

Last edited:

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I have this funny feeling that Yak is going to be the best of all 4. His ability at top speeds is something that very few players have. And I've been really improessed with his compete level and ability to win battles along the boards.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I think RNH is being a little overrated right now. He was amazing in his rookie year but after he got injured he has not looked the same. He was bad in the WC and I wasn't too impressed with him in the AHL. He was really good in the WJC but that was to be expected since he was playing against juniors. Four games into the NHL season and he has not looked very good 5v5 or PP. He has gotten better defensively but he's been pretty underwhelming offensively. I remember, in his rookie year, he was making sick passes all the time even though his linemates couldn't always cash in. He may sometimes put up those quiet points like some other players do but I'm always wanting more from him.

But anyway, I think Yakupov will end up being the best. Elite hands, playmaking, speed, and shot. If he puts all of those together, he will be insanely good.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Pretty much the way I see it. Yak is young and only going to get better. Could be the best of the lot. Not sure Eberle will sink relative to the others. He's the greasiest kid around the net and thats where the gold is mined. A few people will be surprised soon enough to find the Gagner is indistinguishable from the above mix.

Gagner's been pretty solid thus far this year. The guy competes hard. If he were 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he would be a star in the league. I don't know if he has future with the club, but if he continues to play like he has the first few game, he will be a valuable trading chip in the off-season.

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
I think RNH is being a little overrated right now. He was amazing in his rookie year but after he got injured he has not looked the same. He was bad in the WC and I wasn't too impressed with him in the AHL. He was really good in the WJC but that was to be expected since he was playing against juniors. Four games into the NHL season and he has not looked very good 5v5 or PP. He has gotten better defensively but he's been pretty underwhelming offensively. I remember, in his rookie year, he was making sick passes all the time even though his linemates couldn't always cash in. He may sometimes put up those quiet points like some other players do but I'm always wanting more from him.

But anyway, I think Yakupov will end up being the best. Elite hands, playmaking, speed, and shot. If he puts all of those together, he will be insanely good.

You know the game where Yakupov batted the puck into the net with 4 seconds left in the period? That was certainly the best moment of the 2013 season to date; however, what got my jaw dropping even more was that dirty pass RNH made in OT to Gagner.. THAT was unreal.

*Knock on wood* To those all mentioning Yakupov's incredible speed, which is indeed insane that he could do what he does at full throttle; in the NHL, *knock on wood*, I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets hammered during one or many of his rushes.... and at that speed in all honesty, it'll be devastating. It's good to be fast and fiesty, but the dangers that come with it are no joke... He is definitely caught out of position here and there and not always looking at what's ahead of him but solely on how he can get the puck in the net; which I guess is why he is capable of doing what he does at top speed.. but as I mentioned that could have its drawbacks and inevitably could lead to disaster... :S

In any case, he's still young and has lots to learn. All 4 of them have the potential to be awesome players and better than one another... but in my heart, out of the 4, I'd probably still have Eberle coming up top (he's my bias). I see this guy scoring the game-winning goal for all the big games he'll have ahead of him (worlds, playoffs, clinching, etc.)

Thank you all for your opinions! I didn't feel out of place whatsoever despite being a habs fan on your board.

Also, I apologize for all the other habs fan making outrageous trade proposals and what not... please don't generalize and use them as a basis to label us :(

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
As of now

1. Ebs- he is 22
2. RNH- he is 19
3. Hall- he is 21
4. Yak- he is 19

My prediction in 2015-16
1. RNH -@22 90-100 points
2. Ebs- @ 25 85-95 points
3. Yak- @ 22 40 goals
4. Hall- @24 75-85 points
but the leader of the team like #11
What? :amazed::help:

Do you realize how unrealistic your predictions are. My lord, when's the last time any team had 4 80+ point scorers?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Now:
1. Eberle
2. RNH
3. Hall
4. Yakupov

future
1. RNH
1.b Schultz :naughty:
2. Eberle
3.Yakupov