The bible of pro hockey has confirmed NHLPA has an offer for next week....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Goodenow held out as long as he could. Who could blame him? It worked for him in 94. Fingers crossed. There may actually be NHL hockey in the new year.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
And in the last week both Saskins and Goodenow say no new offer is coming...didn't Goodenow reiterate it yesterday?

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Benji Frank said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=106699

Fingers crossed that something constructive might come of this.......
I guarantee you that the NHL will say no to the proposal... BUT, at least they are talking and hopefully it will get things rolling... Even if it's just a point of getting a bit closer to the owners side so they feel they need to make a counter proposal themselves... I'm guessing that either way, we are still AT LEAST a couple weeks away from a resolution at best... But I still won't be suprised at all if the season gets wiped out entirely...

As much as I detest Goodenow, this is a good move on his part... Many might feel that it shows weakness to be the first to blink, but at the same time, if the offer is decent, it could put a lot of pressure on the NHL to get something done... and if it's decent, it will go a long way to show that the union is actually starting to try to fix this...

chiavsfan

Blinking first or not...it's time for someone to be the better man and get things rolling. I mean they haven't met since b4 the lockout...and things were starting to get rediculous anyway, with Mr. Saskin resorting to personal attacks. Thats when you know things have gone on too long

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Thats right folks WHO took the first step to ending this lockout? The NHLPA..its was obvious the NHL has no desire to end it. But im sure Bettman will not take ANY proposal serious if it doesnt involve to 3 Words: "$30 MILLION CAP" :shakehead

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
chiavsfan said:
Blinking first or not...it's time for someone to be the better man and get things rolling. I mean they haven't met since b4 the lockout...and things were starting to get rediculous anyway, with Mr. Saskin resorting to personal attacks. Thats when you know things have gone on too long

Right..where were those personal attacks again? Him giving an honest opinion on a man who even supporters of the NHL have said..he has NOT done a good job.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Thats right folks WHO took the first step to ending this lockout? The NHLPA..its was obvious the NHL has no desire to end it. But im sure Bettman will not take ANY proposal serious if it doesnt involve to 3 Words: "$30 MILLION CAP" :shakehead

Wow a Ranger fan against the cap, go figure! Just as long as you accept the fact that your team is one of the main culprits to having the salaries spiral out of control.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Taranis_24 said:
Wow a Ranger fan against the cap, go figure! Just as long as you accept the fact that your team is one of the main culprits to having the salaries spiral out of control.
this guy doesn't speak for all ranger fans but a very small minority. its not like we have seen the rangers buy any championships. :shakehead

i also don't think and true ranger fan would have his member name after two players that failed miserably in new york Lindros and fleury but thats just me.

flyline i don't think the owners are without fault but to continue to bash them in every post is mind boggling. i have yet to see any proof that bettmen asked for a 30 million dollar cap.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

How can you call Bettman out for lying and not do the same for goodenow? on the radio in TO a few days ago he said the the NHLPA is NOT working on a new proposal. All of a sudden today "We have been working hard on a proposal" ?

He flat out LIED. Show me where Bettman has lied. I am not a supporter of Bettman at all, but he has been by far the bigger man during these last few months.

Sad your Rage won't be able to go out and put forth a miserable attempt to buy a cup anymore? BOOHOO..

Times they are a changing :)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Taranis_24 said:

Yes I do. I do accept that...i never supported Sather going money crazy...never brought us anywhere closer to the playoffs. Im thrilled we are finally dumping the idea "SPENDING CRAZY = CUP!" Sather realized Hockey is not the same as baseball and you cannot BUY a championship because hockey is a TEAM sport not an indivual sport like baseball is. For the record i dont support the players who make a ton amount of money. Im siding with the Players...the Majority of players..the onces who are making the average player salary 1.75 million...not 1% of players making over 6 million.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Taranis_24 said:

but just think how much money they could put in revenue sharing via a luxury tax. :D (75 million dollar payroll, 25 million dollar penalty (under my plan) means each team can afford that extra 4th liner.

(thats if it's a hard luxury tax)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'm as desirous of seeing hockey as anyone, but it's not actually "blinking" unless the NHLPA makes measurable concessions in its proposal. If it's clearly less than what the NHL is seeking, and both sides know this to be the case, then this is just for PR and/or legal purposes.

Hopefully there is something in there that both sides can work with, but most analysts for the last two weeks have said that while the PA was preparing a proposal, it would be far beneath what the NHL is seeking... and that both sides know it.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
This is nothing than a PR stunt by the PA... theres no Cap invoved in the proposal so its a non-starter.

When the NHL rejects this the PA will be hooting and hollering "but we tried to negotiate... we tried to come to the table"...

Ya, with a NON STARTER that the NHL have said will NOT solve anything.

Break the PA. Bring in a cap. And Lets get hockey back.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
s7ark said:
How can you call Bettman out for lying and not do the same for goodenow? on the radio in TO a few days ago he said the the NHLPA is NOT working on a new proposal. All of a sudden today "We have been working hard on a proposal" ?

He flat out LIED. Show me where Bettman has lied. I am not a supporter of Bettman at all, but he has been by far the bigger man during these last few months.

Sad your Rage won't be able to go out and put forth a miserable attempt to buy a cup anymore? BOOHOO..

Times they are a changing :)

There had to be a reason he lied...maybe he didnt want the whole entire proposal that WASNT finished to leak out? Parts were already starting to leak out to he wanted to stop that. If you think he lied to everyone just for kicks then i dont know what to tell you...

Go Flames Go*

Aww **** didnt see this thread and made a new one. Well this proposal will not amount to anything. Get ready of scabs in 05.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
no13matssundin said:
This is nothing than a PR stunt by the PA... theres no Cap invoved in the proposal so its a non-starter.

When the NHL rejects this the PA will be hooting and hollering "but we tried to negotiate... we tried to come to the table"...

Ya, with a NON STARTER that the NHL have said will NOT solve anything.

Break the PA. Bring in a cap. And Lets get hockey back.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
There had to be a reason he lied...maybe he didnt want the whole entire proposal that WASNT finished to leak out? Parts were already starting to leak out to he wanted to stop that. If you think he lied to everyone just for kicks then i dont know what to tell you...

Does it matter why he lied? He still did. I am just wondering how this info fits into your picture that the NHLPA all walk around with wings playing harps and the Owners want nothing more then to chew on the souls of young babies.

EDIT: I should throw in that this is an exaggeration I have never seen a post where you claimed anything about angels or soul eating.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
From what we've heard, the PA proposal will be a luxury tax. From what we've heard from Bettman, the NHL will reject it because it isn't their brand of cost certainty. At this point, one would have to assume that both sides are playing out their arguments like lawyers who know the outcome of the trial, they are just positioning themselves with their ducks in a row for the Court of Appeal.

The NHLPA goes into the NLRB or a court arguing it is they who are locked-out and they tried to compromise. The NHL will go in arguing as a large multi-billion dollar business that is threatened with extinction if it doesn't get what it wants.

We'll see what happens.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
s7ark said:
Does it matter why he lied? He still did. I am just wondering how this info fits into your picture that the NHLPA all walk around with wings playing harps and the Owners want nothing more then to chew on the souls of young babies.

Um yes it does. Think before you type. If the unfinished proposal was leaked out before it was finished people would have been passing judgment on it..bettman would have had his little comments abouts it. By lying he stopped the unfinished proposal from leaking out more. Sigh some people r too young for this conversation..

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I read an article earlier this week where Betman said in Edmonton, the 31 million $ figure was probably closer to $35 mill. So if the PA does come in with something decent, there might be a chance we'll see a shortened season as the owners appear to be moving forward on something too.

The only problem is apparently only 8 team owners need to be in favour of continuing the lockout. I guess we'll see what happens next week.......

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Um yes it does. Think before you type. If the unfinished proposal was leaked out before it was finished people would have been passing judgment on it..bettman would have had his little comments abouts it. By lying he stopped the unfinished proposal from leaking out more. Sigh some people r too young for this conversation..

HAHAHAHAAHA Really? R some people too young for this conversation?

so you can find justification in the Players lying but not with anything Bettman has said? Double-standard much? So if I understand. Players can lie to further their agenda but owners are held to a higher standard?

Also if Goodenow is worried about unfinished propsals getting leaked then maybe he has hired the wrong people...

Back to the topic: Hopefully this offer will be of some substance and will involve some kind of cost certainty. This contract is likely only going to last 4 or 5 years so maybe the players are realizing that losing 1 or 2 years of salary for a 4 year deal only to go through it all over again makes no sense. They have to accept that the NHL cannot afford these salaries players are being paid right now. In the NFL, MLB and NBA there are big TV contracts to help pay for salaries. But every time an NHL player gets and extra 2 million a season it fall squarely on the shoulders of the fans. It's time for this to end.

Once the NHL gets their ticket prices down, fans will start coming out, the game will start to take off again and the bigger TV contracts will coming in, THEN the players can argue they deserve more money. They are in effect the product. But until the league is fiscally stable the players will have to take a salary hit

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Coulda sworn I heard Goodenow say at least 5 times yesterday on leafs lunch that there was NO proposal coming .

maybe he's inviting Gary over to play some nhl2005 :handclap:

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
I read an article earlier this week where Betman said in Edmonton, the 31 million $ figure was probably closer to $35 mill. So if the PA does come in with something decent, there might be a chance we'll see a shortened season as the owners appear to be moving forward on something too.

The only problem is apparently only 8 team owners need to be in favour of continuing the lockout. I guess we'll see what happens next week.......
What I read somewhere is that 8 team owners need to agree to what Mr. Bettman decides, it was a condition of Bettman staying on to negotiate the deal. And to those who say the deal will only be for a year or two or five. If they do that they might just as well continue the shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad