The best rookie defenceman?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cholowski is averaging more ice time than any other rookie dman, and is currently at 3 pts in 3 games.

In the preseason he averaged a point per game too, over the span of like 5-6 games.

Yeah he's not gonna score that much all year I'd be happy with 30-40 pts

Reactions: NickH8 and Go Wings

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Can't say. Only watched Heiskanen (and even then small sample size) so far but that guy is very, very impressive.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
It's going to be interesting to see where Valimaki goes. Peters had him out on a 5on3 yesterday and he did very well.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's going to be interesting to see where Valimaki goes. Peters had him out on a 5on3 yesterday and he did very well.

He's got to stick. Especially since the Flames traded the anti-Juuso off the glass give up all the bluelines Kulak. Probably(definitely) won't hit some of the numbers like Heiskanen, Dahlin, and company will hit since he's behind both Gio and Hanifin on the depth chart but has looked very complete for an only just 20 year old. Also going to be getting a long look at Rasmus Andersson with the Hamonic injury, who might be just as good.

Around the league I've liked what I've seen from Cholowski so far, great composure and patience with the puck and has such a deceptively fast skating stride.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
At Dahlins age Heiskanen wasnt even in the NHL. Dahlin already is a top 4 D and clearly will be better then all these guys. Sabre fans couldnt be happier with such a high end dman who is 18 years old.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
At Dahlins age Heiskanen wasnt even in the NHL. Dahlin already is a top 4 D and clearly will be better then all these guys. Sabre fans couldnt be happier with such a high end dman who is 18 years old.
Why crap on heiskanen just cause dahlin will be great?
So many great young d this season I hope they all do well. Who cares how old they are there all young and promising.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Go ahead judge by Corsi but..

I've watched Heiskanen and Dallas's games and from what I've seen is his hands are limited meaning I don't see the flashy dekes and puck razzle dazzle in his game which is truly 1 on 1 game breaking. Right now he uses his north/south speed to get around the opposing teams defense but he never uses the middle of the ice, he always goes along the wall. Once teams realize this they are going to just going to squeeze him out. He's great at getting into open areas of the ice but he doesn't have that heavy of a shot.

Unless Heiskanen develops that game breaking 1 on 1 offense, he's going to need a good supporting cast around him to open the ice for him because right now his speed is the only utility driving his play and that can only last until teams start preparing for him.

Right now he's got being unknown on his side and game plans aren't built around him.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I've watched Heiskanen and Dallas's games and from what I've seen is his hands are limited meaning I don't see the flashy dekes and puck razzle dazzle in his game which is truly 1 on 1 game breaking. Right now he uses his north/south speed to get around the opposing teams defense but he never uses the middle of the ice, he always goes along the wall. Once teams realize this they are going to just going to squeeze him out. He's great at getting into open areas of the ice but he doesn't have that heavy of a shot.

Unless Heiskanen develops that game breaking 1 on 1 offense, he's going to need a good supporting cast around him to open the ice for him because right now his speed is the only utility driving his play and that can only last until teams start preparing for him.

Right now he's got being unknown on his side and game plans aren't built around him.

He's not a flashy player like Klingberg, but his "flashy" play is more similar to Karlsson where he will skate around you and set someone else up with a beautiful pass. He can make people miss without dangling. He is a smart enough player to where if they focus their game around him he will adapt. They have tried that several times already but he is always quick to move the puck to a teammate.

I don't consider a dman not being able to dangle a "game breaking" thing. He can still walk the line and get a shot on net just fine with no issues or set someone up as good as anyone on the Stars.

Also his shot is not great but it's not bad and goalies seem to struggle with it. His wrist shot is where it's at though. Quick release and accurate. He has been using his one timer a lot more lately too which seems to generate tons of rebounds and scoring chances

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If the Devils had gone with icing the best defense possible, Ty Smith would've been in and been yet another fantastic defenseman in this rookie class. (They sent him back because he's skinny as hell and there are too many guys only slightly older than him who are still on the roster.)

The skill and IQ of this generation of players is so great for the game. What a time to be a hockey fan.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Heiskanen was the most dominant U19 defender ever in Liiga last year, pretty sure he could have played in NHL last year already, especially in a weak D group like Dallas'. He just never got the chance to prove himself since he suffered concussion before the training camp. Also Dallas wasn't in no hurry to rush him.

As someone who has seen Heiskanen's last ~50 games or so, saying he doesn't have the hands sounds way off. Not to mention, why would he need to force the play and try to dangle his way through the opponents when he could make the right play and throw a fast outlet pass to his teammate which he has been doing at great success so far.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Stop comparing Heiskanen to Karlsson or don't be surprised when people keep saying he's not flashy enough or doesn't have enough points. He's not an offensive defenseman for f***sake.

And that argument of Dahlin already being better just by being in the NHL at 18....its Buffalo. If the Stars were the worst team in the league they'd have had Heiskanen playing when he was 18 too. Not saying I believe that one is particularly better than the other because it's been 3 games. 3.

And why can't people stop shitting on other rookies and just enjoy how good they have been? The need to belittle them makes you look insecure and like you have an inferiority complex.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Max Lojoie has been excellent in Ottawa. 3G 2A, while playing between 18 and 23 minutes a night. Very smart young player. Could stand to put on more muscle, but uses his positioning and anticipation to make the right play most of the time.

Reactions: gab6511

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Cholowski is averaging more ice time than any other rookie dman, and is currently at 3 pts in 3 games.

In the preseason he averaged a point per game too, over the span of like 5-6 games.

Yeah he's not gonna score that much all year I'd be happy with 30-40 pts
I'd be happy with 20 and strong defensive play. That would make him our best defenseman! :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Why say after watching him and then write this?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I think it's Miro Heiskanen.

As much as I like Jokiharju, I don't think that his performance will age as well over the season as Heiskanen's. Heiskanen has performed incredibly when it come to defense. For instance, vs Leafs, he was on the ice for 18 shots for and 4 against, during 5v5.

Dahlin's been meh. People really look for things to talk about him. His performance has been OK at best, certainly nowhere near what was expected and certainly no generational start.Most disappointing #1OA since Yakupov thus far. Of course, he can still pick it up.
But Jokiharju and Heiskanen have something in common with Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, etc; that separate them from Dahlin. None of them were in NHL at the age of 18. That is not to be taken lightly. In fact many argue that Karlsson is generational, but his first dominant season was his third. Which would equal Dahlin's 4th.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What about the guy who's tied with Elias Petterson for most goals scored by a rookie, is 3rd on his team in TOI, and has been good on the PP and PK?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Dahlin's been meh. People really look for things to talk about him. His performance has been OK at best, certainly nowhere near what was expected and certainly no generational start.Most disappointing #1OA since Yakupov thus far. Of course, he can still pick it up.

What in the world! Three games and he is the biggest disappointment since yakupov. Something tells me you may not like Dahlin for some reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad