The Best Players To Never Have Been THE Best...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
up through the 1950 season, which was howe's first peak season, rocket richard had played seven full seasons. in those seasons, he was the first team all-star RW six straight times, and was the 2nd team all-star the other time (his first full season, which ended with him breaking newsy lalonde's 25 year old single-season playoff goals record and taking home the cup).

he had the 50 in 50 of course, but also two other goal scoring titles. and even though assists weren't really his thing, he also finished second in points twice. he owned three of the five highest goal scoring seasons ever; had hart finishes of 1, 2, and 3; won two cups; led the league in playoff goals three times (and points once), had the most career playoff goals ever (8 goals over #2), and had by far the highest playoff goals/game average of anyone with double-digit games played (he had 34 goals/46 games).

i get that greatest of all time is a high bar but tbh that's not super far off, accomplishments-wise, from orr's entire career.

Last edited:

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Between Orr & Gretzky, there was no clear number one, but a few guys stepped up to make a claim for being number one on a season-to season basis, including Bobby Clarke, Guy Lafleur, Bryan Trottier & Marcel Dionne. Personally, for that time period, I'd pick Denis Potvin as the best player overall, as in he's the one I'd choose if I was serious about building a Cup-winning franchise around a key player.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Eric Lindros. Guy was a dominant talent but injuries derailed him and prevented him from being the best.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. I don't know if he was quite as good as Fedorov in '94 (even on a per game basis), but he may have been on his level or better that season. He was the best in the shortened '95 season but behind Lemieux and Jagr in '96 and then he had trouble staying healthy for the rest of the 90s.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Was Maurice Richard ever (outside of Quebec) considered the best player in the game? I guess there's an argument for c.1944 to 1950, but the competition (even his teammate, Lach, in 1945) was pretty stiff.

Richard was absolutely considered the best in the game for a juncture of his career.

I spoke to many players of that era and it was not uncommon at all to hear them sing The Rocket's praises as the best in the league and there were multiple guys that told me they thought he was a better player than Howe.

Last edited:

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Was Maurice Richard ever (outside of Quebec) considered the best player in the game? I guess there's an argument for c.1944 to 1950, but the competition (even his teammate, Lach, in 1945) was pretty stiff.
LOL really? Rocket Richard was the best player for a good stretch of his career and not only "inside of Quebec" but he was victim of discrimination by the so-called "English Canadian elite".

Reactions: dukeofjive

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Bobby Hull has 3 scoring titles and back-to-back Hart trophies, so I think a case could certainly be made that at some point he was considered the best player in hockey

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
LOL really? Rocket Richard was the best player for a good stretch of his career and not only "inside of Quebec" but he was victim of discrimination by the so-called "English Canadian elite".
LOL. He was 7 times top-3 in scoring but 14 times an all star (the league MORE than recognized him). He was waaaaay behind Geoffrion in dynasty playoff scoring (even factoring in one suspension and one injury). He was also behind Beliveau.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Calm down there, I'm a huge fan of Richard's. I'm just mentioning 'outside of Quebec' because it's normal for the local fanbase (esp. given the very discrimination you mention) to impartially rank their own stars.

If the top guys / coaches / GMs for Boston and Detroit and Toronto said Richard was the best player in the NHL in the 1940s, it holds a little more weight with me.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
From 2002-2005 he was the best, by far.
I think Forsberg probably was the best player, pound-for-pound, in the NHL circa 2000 to 2004, but it definitely was not "by far".
- 2000-01: Jagr and Mario go crazy for half a season in Pittsburgh
- 2001-02: Forsberg doesn't play
- 2002-03: Forsberg is the best player and gets the hardware, but note that NHL players voted Naslund best player
- 2003-04: Forsberg is probably the best player, but plays less than half a season

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Forsberg probably was the best player, pound-for-pound, in the NHL circa 2000 to 2004, but it definitely was not "by far".
- 2000-01: Jagr and Mario go crazy for half a season in Pittsburgh
- 2001-02: Forsberg doesn't play
- 2002-03: Forsberg is the best player and gets the hardware, but note that NHL players voted Naslund best player
- 2003-04: Forsberg is probably the best player, but plays less than half a season

That's why I said 2002-05 not starting at 2000. I'm also not sure anyone heavier than him outscored him from 2002-05 either. :sarcasm:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lindros, ovechkin, and roy just to name a few. you can throw bourque in there too

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
LOL. He was 7 times top-3 in scoring but 14 times an all star (the league MORE than recognized him). He was waaaaay behind Geoffrion in dynasty playoff scoring (even factoring in one suspension and one injury). He was also behind Beliveau.
LOL, I've never said he was the best player for all his career, Beliveau was not there before 1950 and not the better player before 1954, same for Boom Boom Geoffrion but nice try though. And you are waaaaay so wrong if you don't think Rocket Richard was not victim of discrimination because he was a French Canadian.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I really think this is the answer.

Well, maybe Im misinterpreting the threads title but Doug Harvey was considered the best player by some, best Defenceman by many during his salad days in Montreal, a year in Manhattan..... Some old timers Ive encountered claiming he was better than Orr. Certainly one of the most influential game changing players of the past 100+ years of hockey history.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Players who WERE the "best" in the world include:

Richard (starting with him), Howe, Hull, Mikita (? i'm assuming maybe he was, but could be corrected if not), Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid

Maybes to:

Beliveau - 1955 is only 1 year hardly counts - and he overlaps pretty heavily with Howe, than Hull/Mikita. I'm tempted to say "no" but maybe others disagree
Forsberg - 2002-2004 as others have said. I feel as though that period was a bit fluid, Forsberg certainly wasn't head and shoulders above others - but maybe you can give that stretch to him and include him
Malkin - He was right there with Ovi and Crosby many years - does this count? Maybe.

Pick your top 20 of all time player list and list the names who don't appear above and you have your answer. Two notable names i'll mention are Bourque and Lidstrom. Bourque could have been in running but Lemieux/Gretzky (and than Jagr/Hasek) prevented him. And Lidstrom - well he simply never was, even during some "weaker" competition some years. Fantastic player - but his peak isn't his strength.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Forsberg - 2002-2004 as others have said. I feel as though that period was a bit fluid, Forsberg certainly wasn't head and shoulders above others - but maybe you can give that stretch to him and include him

Pretty safe bet to include him, based on the per-82 breakdowns of the first five years of the century:

2001-2005 (Season/Playoffs)

PlayerGPGAPTS+/-P/GG-82A-82PTS-82+/-82
Peter Forsberg237932373301231.39232.282.0114.242.6
Mario Lemieux18681158239-301.28535.769.7105.4-13.2
Jaromir Jagr324155230385241.18839.258.297.46.1
Markus Naslund339173209382391.12741.850.692.49.4
Joe Thornton316123230353521.11731.959.791.613.5
Joe Sakic364171229400551.09938.551.690.112.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: bobholly39

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The guys who could have been the absolute best in the NHL or entire hockey world if not for another player or couple of players... who are your picks?

Jean Beliveau? Bobby Hull? Phil Esposito? Bobby Clarke? Mark Messier? Steve Yzerman? Alex Ovechkin? Evgeni Malkin? Connor McDavid?

I consider Ovechkin to have been the top or at least co-best player circa 2009 (for me personally he was the best at that point) and McDavid to be the best currently.

Try to focus on the historical side of things.

Beliveau for sure in 1956 and with all things considered arguably the best player in the world from 1955-'61, Howe is the only other to possibly be ahead of him at this time, and maybe he is, but I would say based on everything that happened in 1956 you pick Beliveau at least.

Hull was definitely the best more or less in the 1960s. Ovechkin at the very worst was co-best up until 2010 with Crosby. There were pockets of time when he was ahead of Crosby. They flip flopped those years. McDavid is considered by many to be the best today, although let's wait until the end of the year to see if he truly has surpassed Sid.

That leaves on your list Esposito, Yzerman, Messier, Clarke and Malkin. Malkin has never been far behind Crosby and at times has looked more dominant. I'd give him 2012 as the best player in the world for sure. Messier won the Hart in 1990, but I am guessing everyone still wants Gretzky and Lemieux on their team. Ditto for Yzerman in 1989. Clarke was never the best, I don't think because there was always Orr and then Lafleur, but maybe 1976 for him? That being said he still isn't #1 on this list.

Bossy might come to mind too. Gretzky unseats him right away and Trottier/Lafleur were ahead of him prior.

I think the answer here is Esposito. I don't think anyone peaked higher than him that was still never considered the best in the world. Imagine winning 5 scoring titles, 4 of them in a row, leading the NHL in goals 6 times and winning the Hart twice but still being considered inferior to your teammate. That is about as good as it gets. Maybe 1969 you hand it to Esposito either way, but we could debate that one all day. I'll give it to Esposito here.

Reactions: scott clam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad