The Best PLayer In The History of The NHL

theprogoalie777

Jul 20, 2006
Toronto,Ontario
You could argue Wayne but not for those reasons. He was actually pretty average as far as power & speed. He cetainly had the moves & was statistically dominant. he had great vision & smarts and was able to make great plays.

Having said that, if i could see a player in his prime my preferebce would be Orr & Bobby Hull. They could bring everyone to their feet with their amazing speed & ability. watching Hull & Orr wind up behind their net & go end to end was incredible. Gretzy couldn't do it & nobody today can do it.

That is just my opinion
:dunno:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Bobby Orr, no question. He changed the game with his ability to be great at every aspect of the game.

1. Orr
2. Gretzky
3. Howe
4. Lemieux (if he had been healthy his entire career he would be #2, if not the greatest ever.

After them, it's really a toss up.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
Gretz for me. .001% better than Orr.

What gets my goat is the 'by a mile', 'no question' stuff. Anyone who says Orr is best is equally valid as the Gretzky arguers.

More assists than anyone's points ever does it for me.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
Gretz for me. .001% better than Orr.

What gets my goat is the 'by a mile', 'no question' stuff. Anyone who says Orr is best is equally valid as the Gretzky arguers.

More assists than anyone's points ever does it for me.

Guess what...I'll take my team of Orr's against your team of Gretzky's both in thier prime and hands down...you'd lose.

Both two of the greatest players ever but Orr would win...in any decade and even in todays game.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
Ez

ORR.....start a fictional team today and you start with #4. Nobody, but nobody, would "draft" ANY other player when they have the chance to grab Orr.....N-O-B-O-D-Y!

:teach:

This from a Flyers season tix holder. :)

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Bobby Orr.

No, I'm not being a homer. I'd pick Bobby Orr even if I was a fan of a different team.

Wetcoaster

It depends on how you evaluate the "Best Player"-

All around offensive and defensive skills - you have to look at Orr and Howe - if you factor in longevity then it is Howe but I would give the skills level to Orr who had breathtaking speed. Howe was fast but not in Orr's class. Orr could handle the puck at top speed - the only other player I have ever seen with such blinding speed and that ability to play at top speed was Pavel Bure. Both Orr and Howe were superb defensive players as well.

Howe was often triple shifted and played 45-50 minutes in his prime. Also both Howe and Orr could both really throw 'em when need be.

In terms of offense Orr and Gretzky would be close but again on longevity it goes to the Great One.

IMHO it is a pick 'em

1a Orr
1b Howe
1c Gretzky

I have the advantage of having actually watched all three play.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
i think some of you are trying to make an issue out of a nonissue

the greatest player in the game is not an open question

though as time passes and people forget, some will try to make it interesting by mentioning the next best three or four or garth snow

Wetcoaster

i think some of you are trying to make an issue out of a nonissue

the greatest player in the game is not an open question

though as time passes and people forget, some will try to make it interesting by mentioning the next best three or four or garth snow
Garth Snow - most underrated GM.

He held Mike York to a $800,000 raise.:bow:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Wayne Gretzky. Best stats ever, dominated the game like no one else did and could and is the smartest Hockey player ever.

Bobby Orr only played about 9 seasons so that's why i'm not going to say him.
What does Orr's nine-year career have to do with how good of a player he was? It factors into the best career argument, but not best player. When looking at the best player, you look at his strengths and weaknesses, his overall ability, his mental abilities (ability to think and see the game), and his ability to perform in the big-game situations. Orr was a better player than Gretzky.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I would certainly disagree that Gretzy had the greatest careerr ever. My vote for that would be Gordie Howe who broke in at 18 & finished up at 51. Gordie is arguably the greatest ever. He was dominant in the 50's . Just imagine if he was in his prime in the 80's. Top 5 no question is orr, Hull, Howe, Lemieux, Gretzy.
Good points, murray. When looking at the best career, I'm factoring in Wayne's awards and his records. They both won four Stanley Cups.

A case could definitely be made for Howe with his incredible longevity (an amazing 33-year career), his accolades (a first or second-team all-star in 21 of 22 seasons from 1949 to 1970) and the production (top five in scoring for 20 straight seasons).

But I think Howe was the better player. An absolute all-round force. Size, skill, physical play. And tremendous strength. (I know Classic Hockey will have something to say about this).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
1.Mario Lemieux
2.Wayne Gretzky
3.Patrick Roy
4.Gordie Howe
5.Bobby Orr

I never got to see Orr play live obviously, so take this list for what it's worth. I saw Howe ''play'' in the IHL though hahaha.

Ogopogo*

Good points, murray. When looking at the best career, I'm factoring in Wayne's awards and his records. They both won four Stanley Cups.

A case could definitely be made for Howe with his incredible longevity (an amazing 33-year career), his accolades (a first or second-team all-star in 21 of 22 seasons from 1949 to 1970) and the production (top five in scoring for 20 straight seasons).

But I think Howe was the better player. An absolute all-round force. Size, skill, physical play. And tremendous strength. (I know Classic Hockey will have something to say about this).

Howe (#2) was incredibly dominant but, Gretzky (#1) was the only forward more dominant than Howe. Orr comes in #3 and Lemieux is #4. Jean Beliveau rounds out the top 5.

Those are the 5 most dominant careers in NHL history.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
Howe (#2) was incredibly dominant but, Gretzky (#1) was the only forward more dominant than Howe. Orr comes in #3 and Lemieux is #4. Jean Beliveau rounds out the top 5.

Those are the 5 most dominant careers in NHL history.

So which team of these greats would win against the other? I think it would be Howe VS Orr in the final with #4 winning in 7 games. :bow:

KariyaIsGod*

Gretzky.

While Orr didn't play in the 80s and even though I think Gretzky playing in the 80s is an unfair criticism of him considering his extreme dominance over his peers, Orr played during the expansion boom.

That negates any so called advantage Wayne had over him because of era.

Ogopogo*

So which team of these greats would win against the other? I think it would be Howe VS Orr in the final with #4 winning in 7 games. :bow:

Actually, I heard that Beliveau had one helluva glove hand and never gave up a rebound so, he would probably take it because of superior goaltending. :sarcasm:

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
Gretzky.

While Orr didn't play in the 80s and even though I think Gretzky playing in the 80s is an unfair criticism of him considering his extreme dominance over his peers, Orr played during the expansion boom.

That negates any so called advantage Wayne had over him because of era.

I believe Wayne played in a much more watered down league than Orr did IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love Gretzky but Orr could have played at any time/era and would have been just as dominate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->