The Best of the Rest Series: Arizona Edition; Keith Tkachuk

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
My first thought was that Teppo Numminen, arguably the best Jet/Coyote defenseman in the history of the franchise, deserved at least a mention. Like Tkachuk, he won't be going to the Hall of Fame, but his 15 seasons with the team might merit consideration as the team's best player. On a more emotional fan level, Numminen never held out for more money, and always showed up to camp in shape.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4015

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
KT definitely is near if not at the top of the list.

Too bad I don't see anyone close to him on the horizon. When he left, Doan was a budding power forward waiting in the wings, but now the best we have is probably Lessio.

Wonder if it is possible to land someone like E. Kane.

Feb 12, 2003
I second the notion on the Repo Man over Walt. I would say that Tkachuk was equally, if not more, known for his time on the Blues than the Coyotes. I would say that Tkachuk was the most dominant forward for any single season in Coyotes history, probably the best 5 year span of anyone, but it was only a 5 year span with the Coyotes. Most of us have really separated the Jets from the Coyotes era, especially with the return of the Jets to Winnipeg.

Frankly, we don't have any sure things on the Coyotes historically because even Teppo played a number of seasons outside of Arizona. Doan would be the most logical choice once he qualifies for the criteria, so I guess I can't fault Tkachuk too much just due to the lack of options.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah the hold outs sucked but man I loved watching the guy play, I would kill for that kind player on the Coyotes now. Offensive powerhouse who hit like a truck and took crap from no one!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Loved watching him on the ice, but I had no great love for him off the ice. Was pretty happy with the Tkachuk trade at the time.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Talent wise he was great.

Off the ice he held this franchise hostage over contract negotiations and hold-outs (and renegotations one year after he just agreed to a deal) more often than I can remember and in the end I view him in a negative light. He should be more respected than what he is. I'm no longer a fan and I was one of his biggest supporters early on in his career. Compare his attitude and sense of entitlement to Selanne and I honestly wish we could go back and time and allow Selanne the chance to medically address the issues that the franchise was so frightened about back when he was dealt and deal Tkachuk instead (for better players than Kilger and Tverdovsky who both busted as Top 5 selections).

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Yeah the hold outs sucked but man I loved watching the guy play, I would kill for that kind player on the Coyotes now. Offensive powerhouse who hit like a truck and took crap from no one!

True dat! In the first season, he scored 52 goals and racked up 228 penalty minutes - mostly fights. Is there an equivalent to those numbers in today's NHL?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
KT and Roenick were marketable stars. Doan, OEL, Smith just aren't the same caliber in that regard.

Need a Duchene or Kane style talent that people will pay good money to see on this team in the worst way.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
KT and Roenick were marketable stars. Doan, OEL, Smith just aren't the same caliber in that regard.

Need a Duchene or Kane style talent that people will pay good money to see on this team in the worst way.
Yet. Let's remember OEL turned 23 last week and already played over 200 NHL games, was a key factor in getting the Yotes to the WCF at age 20 and made the Swedish Olympic & WC teams. He'll never be as marketable as JR, given he'll never have as big a mouth...but certainly on a path to surpass to KT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad