News: The BEST NHL Trade Deadline Primer

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
TSN.jpg

The big day is drawing closer and fans are going to finally get what they have been waiting for; trades! In prior years leading up to the trade deadline there would be a flurry of trades through the week that would result in an anti-climactic deadline show. *Knock on wood* this year looks as though there will be a chance that the show will feature a fair amount of trades. The deadline to make trades is February 26th (this Monday) at 3pm EST, although deals do trickle in afterwards if the call was initiated with the NHL's offices prior to the 3pm cut off.

The Best NHL Trade Deadline Primer

Hey guys and gals,

I put in a lot of work and sourced a lot material in the last little bit and put together this blog post that went over every single team ahead of the trade deadline. I had to tweak it because someone traded Grabner at the last minute last night. Some of it it insider related, some of it is a bit of educated guesswork based on team needs etc. I don't claim to be an insider myself but wanted to share this with you all.

Hope you enjoy...and mods if this is better left to the NHL section of the forums I understand.

Haven't had much sleep, I stayed up most of last night completing this so time for me to pass out. I'll probably wake up to several trades with guys going places I never saw coming. Cheers and happy Friday.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Nice little read and more accurate than some other garbage you see on the internet. Well done.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Terrible hot takes on Carolina.

"Definitely classified as sellers". One point out from a Wildcard.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
View attachment 99933

The Best NHL Trade Deadline Primer

Hey guys and gals,

I put in a lot of work and sourced a lot material in the last little bit and put together this blog post that went over every single team ahead of the trade deadline. I had to tweak it because someone traded Grabner at the last minute last night. Some of it it insider related, some of it is a bit of educated guesswork based on team needs etc. I don't claim to be an insider myself but wanted to share this with you all.

Hope you enjoy...and mods if this is better left to the NHL section of the forums I understand.

Haven't had much sleep, I stayed up most of last night completing this so time for me to pass out. I'll probably wake up to several trades with guys going places I never saw coming. Cheers and happy Friday.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you mentioned the Kings adding Rieder but didn't make one for Arizona? Might have to get edit this before Arizona fans bash you :) it looked really good.
If the Flames add a top 6 rhs rw (top line as you mentioned) I don't think they'd aim to add another scoring threat cause it could help with either or but lets say we get the top line player (RHS is the code) so heres the lineup
JG-SM-RHS
MT-MB-MF
Bennett-Janks-Ferland
With a 4th line constructed of
Lazar/Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer/prospects, I think the 3rd line would be pretty deadly having together, would be hard to play against. Mixed with toughness, skill, speed, pests in all 3 and im not sure if it'd need much improving.

Or we could go for 1/2 30-50 point scorers who shoot Right instead of a top line guy at the same cost in trade value maybe even cheaper to do
JG-SM-(1rhs)
3M line
Ferland-Bennett-(2rhs)
Lazar/Versteeg/Janks/Versteeg/Brouwer(imo Lazar/Versteeg/Brouwer are interchangeable on the Wings, with Stajan or Janks pivoting im sure either can play wing, but I'd like Lazar-Janks-Stajan)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you mentioned the Kings adding Rieder but didn't make one for Arizona? Might have to get edit this before Arizona fans bash you :) it looked really good.
If the Flames add a top 6 rhs rw (top line as you mentioned) I don't think they'd aim to add another scoring threat cause it could help with either or but lets say we get the top line player (RHS is the code) so heres the lineup
JG-SM-RHS
MT-MB-MF
Bennett-Janks-Ferland
With a 4th line constructed of
Lazar/Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer/prospects, I think the 3rd line would be pretty deadly having together, would be hard to play against. Mixed with toughness, skill, speed, pests in all 3 and im not sure if it'd need much improving.

Or we could go for 1/2 30-50 point scorers who shoot Right instead of a top line guy at the same cost in trade value maybe even cheaper to do
JG-SM-(1rhs)
3M line
Ferland-Bennett-(2rhs)
Lazar/Versteeg/Janks/Versteeg/Brouwer(imo Lazar/Versteeg/Brouwer are interchangeable on the Wings, with Stajan or Janks pivoting im sure either can play wing, but I'd like Lazar-Janks-Stajan)

First of all to everyone, thanks for the kind words.

We're dealing with a fire alarm test at the condo so I am awake for now, thanks for pointing out that the Arizona portion was missing. I didn't upload the correct draft, it should be updated for our Coyote friends.

Cheers.

Reactions: FameFlame069

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
First of all to everyone, thanks for the kind words.

We're dealing with a fire alarm test at the condo so I am awake for now, thanks for pointing out that the Arizona portion was missing. I didn't upload the correct draft, it should be updated for our Coyote friends.

Cheers.

Hopefully there is no fire, I wouldn't want you to get burned like the Yotes did last night by a rookie goalie :) as you can tell pun intended, I honestly think you did a real good job and note in Calgary's area you should add that the forward should be a Right handed shot(as we literally have no good right shooters and it'd add a threat on any line and on the PP :) that's our biggest concern "right shooting, shoot first, big body type of player" :) stay safe.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Appreciate the effort!

Surprised you did not mention the possibility of Rick Nash in the Boston blurb. Makes sense with the Vatrano trade IMO.

FWIW I would be surprised if the Blues did not make some sort of move to try to bolster their 3rd line. I think we see either a top 6 player added with the hope that

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Appreciate the effort!

Surprised you did not mention the possibility of Rick Nash in the Boston blurb. Makes sense with the Vatrano trade IMO.

FWIW I would be surprised if the Blues did not make some sort of move to try to bolster their 3rd line. I think we see either a top 6 player added with the hope that

Figured the Blues are already pretty deep so depth might not be as appealing

Brassard landed in Pittsburgh too, figured that or Winnipeg

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I'm pretty sure Antti Raanta will not be in Arizona next season. But I guess the chance of being dealt at the trade deadline is fairly small.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Good work on the article. Just a couple things on the Islander part:

1. If we can get anything for Hickey or Chimera I'd be ecstatic. Would rather re-sign Halak as he's been very good over the last couple months.

2. Islanders are a cap team with new owners willing to spend. They don't care about the bonus. Toronto would have to retain some to lower his cap hit to interest the Isles. Also the emergence of Ross Johnston likely means Isles aren't interested in MM anymore.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good work on the article. Just a couple things on the Islander part:

1. If we can get anything for Hickey or Chimera I'd be ecstatic. Would rather re-sign Halak as he's been very good over the last couple months.

2. Islanders are a cap team with new owners willing to spend. They don't care about the bonus. Toronto would have to retain some to lower his cap hit to interest the Isles. Also the emergence of Ross Johnston likely means Isles aren't interested in MM anymore.

Hey thanks for the feedback. My rationale with Halak is that the whole being demoted thing might have soured the relationship. We'll see.

I might not have universal approval with these blog posts but I try to have a decently informed opinion.

Big thing for this blog post for me was to try to make educated guesses and use insiders recent posts as sources. A lot of Twitter accounts etc right now will be like "omg jvr for Ryan Ellis confirmed" - I didn't want to write click bait, I wanted to put together a quality piece

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
I hope to god for their sakes Karlsson trade happens on Monday. I feel so bad every year where they have to stretch the show out and somehow make it interesting when all the trades that do come in are head scratchers to say the least.

I hope for my sake that Karlsson is traded in the next 10 minutes so I can get drunk and forget to think again until Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->