Movies: The Best Movie(s) of 2018

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I always love your list Savi, because they contain a lot of European works that we here in North American do not have much exposure to. Sicilian Ghost Story was one of the ones I wanted to check out during VIFF, but ultimately could not fit it into my schedule.

If you have the time, please write a review, because I am very curious about it.

It's an Italian film based on a true story about a boy who was kidnapped by the maffia back in the 90s. The story is told through the eyes of a 14 year old girl who kinda has a crush on him, and is trying to find out what happened to him. Besides that, I don't want to give away too much, but I think I really liked it because it reminded me a bit of Pan's Labyrinth. I doesn't really have that same magical element to it, and PL is definitely a better film, but just like PL this is a sweet yet tragic tale of a young girl trying to cope with a heartbreaking event, trying to find ways to somehow make sense of it and, again, like PL, using her own imagination to take her away to a place where everything is better and bad stuff doesn't happen. It's all very scenic, very poetic even, but also pretty dark and (almost beautifully) hauting at times.

You should be able to find it online if you know where to look. Definitely a must watch if you ask me :thumbu:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
English-language top ten

You Were Never Really Here
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Leave No Trace
(virtually a three-way tie)

The Favourite
Eighth Grade
The Sisters Brothers
Annihilation
First Reformed
Black Panther
Sorry to Bother You

Reactions: Howard Beale

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
English-language top ten

You Were Never Really Here
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Leave No Trace
(virtually a three-way tie)

The Favourite
Eighth Grade
The Sisters Brothers
Annihilation
First Reformed
Black Panther
Sorry to Bother You

Interesting. I really like the bottom half of your list (The Favourite, Eighth Grade, and Annihilation are all in my top-5 of the year), but I was very underwhelmed by the films in your three-way tie list. In all three cases I sat through the end-credits thinking: "That's it?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad