Movies: The Best Movie(s) of 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty self explanatory. With the Golden Globes and the Awards season almost upon us, list your best movie or movies of 2018.

Commentary always welcome.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Best of 2018

Roma-Trailer.jpg

1) Roma
, Cuaron, Mexico

the-image-book-review-godard-700x300.jpg

2) The Image Book, Godard, France

shoplifter.jpg

3) Shoplifters, Kore-eda, Japan

ash.is.the.purest.white.youtube.jpg

4) Ash Is Purest White, Jia, China

burning_d.jpg

5) Burning, Hank, South Korea

screen-shot-2018-05-11-at-1-43-07-am.png

6) Cold War, Pawilkowski, Poland

On%2Bthe%2BBeach%2Bat%2BNight%2BAlone%2B6.jpg

7) On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong, South Korea

November-screenshot-XII.jpg

8) November, Sarnet, Estonia

you-were-never-really-here-review-700x300.jpg

9) You Were Never Really Here, Ramsay, US

Brody-The-Ballad-of-Buster-Scruggs.jpg

10) The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Coen brothers, US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11) Donbass
, Loznitsa, Ukraine

12) Leave No Trace, Ramsay, US

13) The Favourite, Lanthimos, Greece/UK

14) The Cakemaker, Grazier, Israel

15) Eighth Grade, Burnham, US

16) Transit, Penzold, Germany

17) 1945, Toroc, Hungary

18) Foxtrot, Maoz, Israel

19) Museo, Ruizpalacios, Mexico

20) The Sisters Brothers, Audiard, US

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Movies I saw (that I remember)

A Quiet Place
Annihilation
Apostle
Avengers: Infinity War
Bad Times at the El Royale
Bird Box
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
Black Panther
Burning
Eighth Grade
First Reformed
Game Night
Hereditary
Hold the Dark
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Mandy
Mid90s
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Leave No Trace
Ready Player One
Roma
Searching
Shoplifters
Suspiria
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Endless
The Favourite
The Guilty
The Hitman's Bodyguard
The Meg
The Predator
Thoroughbreds
Upgrade

Still REALLY want to see

You Were Never Really Here

Still want to see but am in no rush (some of these were 2017 but are still listed in 2018 depending on release)

A Fantastic Woman
BlacKkKlansman
Call Me By Your Name
Isle of Dogs
Overlord
Sorry to Bother You
The Night Comes for Us
The Phantom Thread
Widows

Mild interest but may never check them out

Blindspotting
Green Book
If Beale Street Could Talk
I, Tonya
Love, Simon
Paddington 2
Revenge
Vice

If I didn't mention it, I have no interest in seeing it unless obviously I haven't heard of it.

2018 Ranking

1. Burning - This one really stuck with me. Such a unique movie that is fairly straightforward plot-wise but goes in so many different directions tonally. It did something that is rare for me: it gave me something that felt completely unique and unlike anything else I've watched before. Also right there with Leave No Trace as the most well-acted movie of the year, Yeun was absolutely incredible in particular.
2. Annihilation - More or less as good as sci-fi gets IMO. Amazing visuals, big concepts and sense of mystery, takes its time, and has the most memorable sequences of the year.
3. Hereditary - Some minor detractors that kept The Witch as my favorite recent horror, but this is still right up there.
4. Shoplifters - Heartfelt, warm, moving, and actually really funny, which surprised me. Show don't tell characterization done perfectly.
5. Leave No Trace - Just an excellent character movie. IMO the most well-acted movie this year.
6. The Guilty - Works perfectly as a procedural drama, a thriller with twists and turns, and a character study. Quite possibly the best bottle movie I've ever seen.
7. Roma - I didn't love it, but I appreciated it. Definitely the most well-shot movie this year.
8. The Favourite - Still settling in with this one, as I think how different it was from this director's other movies has thrown me off a bit. Just a really well-crafted and enjoyable movie, although not nearly as funny as I thought it would be.
9. Mandy - This is basically everything I hoped it would be, and ranks right up there among my favorites of the year. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when someone tries to talk down on a movie for being "style over substance". A massive part of movies is the visual aesthetic, and this nails that perfectly. Such an enjoyable and unique watch, and threw in just the right amount of absurdist Cage humor.
10. Mission Impossible: Fallout - Possibly the best action/adventure since Mad Max.
11. Suspiria - I've got some big problems with it, but when it's at its best, it's really something. Some of the more memorable scenes from this year.
12. Upgrade - Just a really enjoyable movie. Excellent and unique action sequences, although nothing amazing otherwise.
13. First Reformed - Beautifully shot, and loved how drab everything looked. Incredible performance by Ethan Hawke as well. I usually hate voiceovers for narration in movies, but this one worked incredibly well. Also had a lot of good humor mixed in. Main issue was that the politics behind the movie felt ham-fisted and I thought the climax came across as a bit goofy, although I didn't mind the very ending myself. And as the review mentioned, the score in this was bizarrely used and very forgettable.
14. Eighth Grade - Very solid directorial debut, although I was expecting more humor from it given Bo Burnham directing. I think the best thing about this movie was the realistic approach to dialogue from the kids. It felt very natural.
15. The Endless - Unlike Upgrade, this was aiming to be something more high concept. It had its moments, but didn't fully connect with me.
16. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Disappointing for a Coen bros. movie, but I did enjoy a few of the shorter stories quite a bit.
17. Searching - Very gimmicky, but the gimmick worked for the most part. I thought Debra Messing was really bad in it though.
18. Thoroughbreds - This one was on my radar as a bit of an under the radar sleeper hit. It really didn't connect with me at all though. I felt a lot of the dialogue and decisions made were just edgy for the sake of being edgy. Some interesting camerawork (I liked some of the longshots through the house in here), but not much else beyond that. I laughed once or twice, and am a huge fan of dark comedies.
19. Game Night - Solid straight up comedy. I think people were overhyping this like crazy, but it's still a good effort in a genre that more or less doesn't exist anymore. Jesse Plemons was excellent.
20. Hold the Dark - Didn't fully connect, but there were a lot of good things about this. I like the atmosphere of it quite a bit.
21. Bad Times at the El Royale - Started off well but got progressively worse. Reeeeeeally started to drag at the end. I thought the introduction to all the characters at the start was great and the best part of the movie. Some funny moments near the beginning and it built up the atmosphere and plot very well. I also liked the music that was used and how it was incorporated, but it reached a point where it started to become overkill. Really liked Bridges and Hamm in this in particular. Hemsworth... not so much. I don't mind him as an actor but I don't think he really suited this part, or at least the character itself didn't really fit the movie.
22. Mid90s - Not sure if I'd go as far as saying it was bad, but it was pretty damn close. I'm all for slice of life movies without much going on plot-wise, but only if they're done well. This movie literally did nothing for me. Just absolutely nothing going on, and then when stuff did happen it just felt bizarre and out of left field, and really had no consequences whatsoever. It also felt pretentious and unabashedly nostalgia-driven, especially at the start.
23. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - So messy, even if it's impossible not to be with how it was executed. The gimmick alone elevates it.
24. A Quiet Place - IMO the most overrated movie of recent years. Average horror movie at best, and some of the cliches and corny sentimental moments were just too much.
25. Apostle - Started off well but goes downhill quickly.
26. Black Panther - I just don't like superhero movies to be completely honest. There's probably some type of bias there, but they all just feel the same to me. I look at something like Apostle being listed above it, which reaches lows that are lower than Black Panther, but I can't help but feel that a movie like Black Panther is just completely average at best in almost every regard. I did like the soundtrack/score here though, which elevates this one.
27. Bird Box - Yeah, I do not get the hype. Something you'd expect to see when watching a completely random horror movie on Netflix. I didn't hate it though.
28. Avengers: Infinity War - See Black Panther.
29. The Hitman's Bodyguard - Over the top in the worst way possible. Action was boring, forgettable and drew on far too long (with one notable exception: a fight in a hardware store that was fun and well executed), the banter between Reynolds/Jackson felt forced and I didn't find it charming or funny, and I also didn't like Hayek or Oldman in this either. If it had better action or was funnier (one of the two), it would be far easier to digest, but this misfired on all cylinders IMO.
30. Ready Player One - One of the most bland movies I've ever seen, which is bizarre considering what the concept is. I went back to watch it after but I fell asleep during one of the battle sequences.
31. The Predator - Aggressively bad movie, although it's above the other two because I laughed at that "stretching room" joke.
32. The Meg - Brutal. So many things you could have done with a monster like this and it was a complete waste. How do you make a movie like this boring?
33. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Offensively bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck and Zeppo

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I still have about a month of catching up to do ... several don't hit the theaters where I'm at for the next few weeks...

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm still giving myself a month to catch up to make up a final list. I'm going to consider most films watched in january 2019 to be 2018 films. I still have not seen Shoplifters (I badly want to see that one), Image Book, Cold War, On the Beach Alone, The Cakemaker, Widows, The Favourite. I had chances to see The Meg, First Reformed, Suspiria and I've passed on them so far, I doubt I see them soon. I will definitely pass on some like Mandy, Climax, Predator.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
I'll have to get back to you in...oh, 12 months or so.

I'd like to say my New Year's Resolution is to see more new movies when they're actually new...but who am I kidding? My DVD player still works fine, my new laptop has an optical drive...I'm ok with staying in to watch last year's hits.

Early September is the exception though, and most of my favourites end up coming from TIFF anyway. Those would be Jirga (Australia), Donbass (Ukraine), and The River (Kazakhstan); with an HM to The Image Book. Would love to see if Hollywood has come up with anything up to that standard. Not holding my breath, but I've been surprised before.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Having seen 112 new releases last year, I'll pick my 15 best. I won't really remember 2018 as memorable for movies, for me there weren't any instant classics and I think my #1 for 2018 would probably only be #5 or so if I had to rank it among 2017 movies.

Come to think of it, the one trend I noticed is that a lot of movies I highly anticipated eventually didn't really live up to my (personally created :sarcasm:) hype. Not that they were bad films, but Roma, Wildlife, The Shape of Water, The Florida Project all failed to meet my expectations. Some others just flat out disappointed, Sicario 2, A Star is Born, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Under The Silver Lake or High Life.

Then there were some nice surprises as well. I think my home country had a very good year (including my #1 pick for the year), but I also really enjoyed Mandy (kinda wtf - but in a good way), Angels Wear White (China), Gutland (Luxembourg), Skate Kitchen, Two Pigeons (which was both gross and funny :laugh:), Upgrade (Australia), The Guilty (Denmark) and others.

However I feel these were the best;

1. Angel (Koen Mortier, Belgium)
2. Princesita (Marialy Rivas, Chile)
3. Climax (Gaspar Noe, France) - including the weirdest Q&A ever afterwards :nod:
4. Mektoub My Love, Part 1 (Abdellatif Kechiche, France)
5. Hold the Dark (Jeremy Saulnier, US)
6. Zoe (Drake Doremus, US)
7. Sicilian Ghost Story (Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, Italy)
8. Annihilation (Alex Garland, UK)
9. Burning (Chang-dong Lee, South Korea)
10. Hearts Beat Loud (Brett Haley, US)
11. Leave no Trace (Debra Granik, US)
12. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski, Poland)
13. Killing Jesus (Laura Ortega, Colombia)
14. On Body and Soul (Ildiko Enyedi, Hungary)
15. The Limit of Sleeping Beauty (Ken Ninoyima, Japan)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly, I am still confused by all the love for The Image Book. :laugh: That said, I would not argue against it either, because everyone's taste is different.

I usually do not do a top 10 list, mainly because I really do not remember everything I have seen, but I will give it a shot this year.

1. Cold War
2. Shoplifters
3. One Cut for the Dead
4. Shadow
5. Leave No Trace
6. The Hate U Give
7. The Guilty
8. Ash is the Purest White
9. An Elephant Sitting Still
9. The Wild Pear Tree
9. 3 Faces

I actually have 11, because I gave the same grade for the last 3.

Ironically, I wailed against the quality of Chinese movies, because they have mainly disappointed in the last couple of years, but China have produced some of the better movies I have seen this year. The talent is definitely there, but the Chinese film industry still needs a better balance between mainstream and independent films.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No Shadow or The Guilty on your list kihei?
Shadow would have been #21. The Guilty would have been somewhere in my top 25, but Shadow was the movie that I most hated leaving out.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
1- deadpool 2
2- shadow
3- Avengers infinity war
4- cold war
5- Beautiful Boy
6- Bohemian Rhapsody
7- Isle of dogs
8- searching
9- mission impossible fall out
10- the incredibles 2
11- the house that jack built
12- 1991
13- a star is born
14- burning
15- shoplifters
16- spiderman into the spider-verse
17- the ballad of buster scruggs
18- a simple favor
19- black panther
20- the guilty
21- roma
22- vice
23- upgrade
24- the night comes for us
25- a quiet place
26- Just a Breath Away
27- american animals
28- calibre
29- Outlaw king
30-green book
31- tag
32- blackkklansman

still to Watch

dogman
never look away
boy erased
mid90s
climax
border
suspiria
widows
Can You Ever Forgive Me

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Have people seen The Hate U Give? I personally feel that it has surpassed Boyz n the Hood as the best movie on the African American community, as it not only focused on people's relationship with their neighbours, but also with the outside world and other nationalities, but I have not seen many reviews on it. While the ending is a little too optimistic for my taste, it is more of a dealer's choice, and it does not affect the overall experience too much. If people have the time, please check it out.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Having seen 112 new releases last year, I'll pick my 15 best. I won't really remember 2018 as memorable for movies, for me there weren't any instant classics and I think my #1 for 2018 would probably only be #5 or so if I had to rank it among 2017 movies.

Come to think of it, the one trend I noticed is that a lot of movies I highly anticipated eventually didn't really live up to my (personally created :sarcasm:) hype. Not that they were bad films, but Roma, Wildlife, The Shape of Water, The Florida Project all failed to meet my expectations. Some others just flat out disappointed, Sicario 2, A Star is Born, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Under The Silver Lake or High Life.

Then there were some nice surprises as well. I think my home country had a very good year (including my #1 pick for the year), but I also really enjoyed Mandy (kinda wtf - but in a good way), Angels Wear White (China), Gutland (Luxembourg), Skate Kitchen, Two Pigeons (which was both gross and funny :laugh:), Upgrade (Australia), The Guilty (Denmark) and others.

However I feel these were the best;

1. Angel (Koen Mortier, Belgium)
2. Princesita (Marialy Rivas, Chile)
3. Climax (Gaspar Noe, France) - including the weirdest Q&A ever afterwards :nod:
4. Mektoub My Love, Part 1 (Abdellatif Kechiche, France)
5. Hold the Dark (Jeremy Saulnier, US)
6. Zoe (Drake Doremus, US)
7. Sicilian Ghost Story (Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, Italy)
8. Annihilation (Alex Garland, UK)
9. Burning (Chang-dong Lee, South Korea)
10. Hearts Beat Loud (Brett Haley, US)
11. Leave no Trace (Debra Granik, US)
12. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski, Poland)
13. Killing Jesus (Laura Ortega, Colombia)
14. On Body and Soul (Ildiko Enyedi, Hungary)
15. The Limit of Sleeping Beauty (Ken Ninoyima, Japan)

I always love your list Savi, because they contain a lot of European works that we here in North American do not have much exposure to. Sicilian Ghost Story was one of the ones I wanted to check out during VIFF, but ultimately could not fit it into my schedule.

If you have the time, please write a review, because I am very curious about it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Have people seen The Hate U Give? I personally feel that it has surpassed Boyz n the Hood as the best movie on the African American community, as it not only focused on people's relationship with their neighbours, but also with the outside world and other nationalities, but I have not seen many reviews on it. While the ending is a little too optimistic for my taste, it is more of a dealer's choice, and it does not affect the overall experience too much. If people have the time, please check it out.
i'll definitely catch it eventually. I have heard a lot people say good things about it.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Still have a lot to watch, but in no order, here's some of my favourites so far:

Roma (dir. Alfonso Cuarón)
The Favourite (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)
Annihliation (dir. Alex Garland)
You Were Never Really Here (dir. Lynne Ramsay)
The Death of Stalin (dir. Armando Iannucci)
Non-Fiction (dir. Olivier Assayas)
Blackkklansman (dir. Spike Lee)
Shirkers (dir. Sandy Tan)
Widows (dir. Steve McQueen)
Sorry To Bother You (dir. Boots Reilly)
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman)
Bad Times At The El Royale (dir. Drew Goddard)

Movies I still want to see from this past year:
Burning
Cold War
Private Life
Leave No Trace
Minding The Gap
Three Identical Strangers
American Animals
The Rider
Hereditary
First Reformed
Isle Of Dogs
Shoplifters
Green Book
A Star Is Born
Ash Is Purest White
...And plenty more I'm forgetting.

Reactions: kihei

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
  1. Hereditary
  2. Annihilation
  3. Tully
  4. First Man
  5. Eight Grade
  6. The Favourite
  7. A Quiet Place
  8. Game Night
  9. Venom
  10. BlacKkKlansman
  11. American Animals
  12. Avengers: Infinity War
  13. The Predator
  14. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I saw it last week and I liked it a lot. Definitely better than Blindspotting the other #BLM flick although I liked that one too. I had The Hate U Give in my tentative top 10 so far but ( I haven't watched enough this year and it might get bumped downwards if I can catch up on the rest of my wish list. I would definitely give The Hate U Give more points than Black Panther, the one a studio is promoting for awards. Maybe a point more than Blackkklansman too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I liked it too. Nowhere near as good as Boyz n the Hood though. Russell Hornsby's performance stole the show.

I saw a lot of movies in theaters this year and kept a huge list but I don't know if I want to post it. This year was quite disappointing overall with a few exceptions, one being A Star is Born, which seems to be different for me than how people here felt. Not knowing the story beforehand certainly enhanced that film in my eyes.

I also haven't seen all the things I wanted to see by any stretch.

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Still have a lot to watch, but in no order, here's some of my favourites so far:

Roma (dir. Alfonso Cuarón)
The Favourite (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)
Annihliation (dir. Alex Garland)
You Were Never Really Here (dir. Lynne Ramsay)
The Death of Stalin (dir. Armando Iannucci)
Non-Fiction (dir. Olivier Assayas)
Blackkklansman (dir. Spike Lee)
Shirkers (dir. Sandy Tan)
Widows (dir. Steve McQueen)
Sorry To Bother You (dir. Boots Reilly)
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman)
Bad Times At The El Royale (dir. Drew Goddard)
Solid list. :thumbu:

The only three I have not seen on that list are Non-Fiction, Shirkers, Spider-Man. The rest are all worthy.

I disagreed with you last year on Three Billboards. From your Wish List, Burning and Leave No Trace might affect your Favorites list, once you see them IMHO. ( I haven't seen Shoplifters there either, some others I can pass on)

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Interestingly, I thought this year was quite good. Hollywood disappointed, but it still got a gem or two, along with some fun movies, and around the world, there were a lot of movies I liked, and even a couple that blew me away.

There are a couple on people's various lists that I have not seen too, so that just reinforces my idea, and my list will probably get revised.

I will also write a couple of detailed reviews for films that I think more people should know about, so thank you for this thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad