The Best Moment In Each National Team's History

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Czechoslovakia: Probably one of the times they beat the Soviets in the World Championships. I consider Czechoslovakia's history separate from both the Czech Republic and Slovakia's history because then it becomes difficult to tell which accomplishment belongs to which country as opposed to the Soviet Union/ Russia where it is clear that Russia is the successor to the Soviet Union.

Well, until the late 1970s/1980s, nearly all of the best Czechoslovak players were Czechs, with only a few Slovak players (especially stars), like Jozef Golonka and Vladimir Dzurilla, on the team. So, Czechoslovakia's greatest accomplishments mostly happened thanks to Czech players, but then again, probably the Czech Republic can't take all credit for them.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Pretty much agree with the consensus here about Team USA. The 1980 Miracle on Ice was the greatest moment, for obvious reasons. But the 1996 World Cup of Hockey is also an honorable mention because us winning that was the beginning of us being contenders in the best on best tournaments.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
For Finland I would say that 1995 is by far the greatest achievement as it showed that Finland can win (after having several great tournaments before that including one where they lost only a single period).

The 2006 team would have taken the mantle had Finland managed to beat Sweden.

But the best hockey played by team Finland so far was in the World Cup 2004. Had they beaten Canada? Could have been the greatest moment, especially considering how the Team Canada has performed thereafter internationally (Olympics notwithstanding).

From Finnish perspective I would have though that Canada's 2002 team was more important than the 2010. Although the 2010 played on home ice I thought that 2002 had more to redeem (although there are similarities following 2006 debacle, but in that sense the 2014 victory on big ice would have been greater had Canada not dominated so utterly)

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It's interesting that Finland won a medal the first time at a big international tournament at the 1988 Olympics (silver), then at the 1991 Canada Cup (bronze), and only in 1992 at the World Championships (silver; although the medal was very close already in 1986, and also in 1974).

But it just shows that despite its low reputation, it was not so easy to get a medal at the WHCs, as there was not much room for flukes and you needed to play consistently throughout the tournament. For example, I don't think the 1980 USA would have won a world championship. This is why I don't like when people overrate the pre-1998 Olympics vis-à-vis the World Championships.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But it just shows that despite its low reputation, it was not so easy to get a medal at the WHCs

I wouldn't say that the tournament would have suffered of low reputation at the time, it was still the genuine highlight of the hockey year in Europe.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think anyone has mentioned 1984 Canada Cup for Canada. After the 1981 loss to the Soviets it had been eight years since Canada had won a best on best tourney. The de facto final (semi-final game vs. USSR for a right to play Sweden) was as dramatic and exciting a contest as I've ever witnessed. Coffey breaking up the 2-on-1 in OT then Bossy deflecting the Coffey point shot for winner over a stacked Russian team fresh off the gold medal. To me, it is up there with the 2002/2010 Olympic wins and even 1987. 72 is tough to beat but 1984 is the forgotten one.

My Best-Carey

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hungary

One year after their 7th place finish at the 1936 Olympics, they beat Romania and tied Germany at the 1937 Ice Hockey World Championships to finish with their highest ranking ever: 5th.

But if you ask a Hungarian, they might think the greatest moment was when one of their own made an NHL roster:

Calgary Flames 4th-round drafted goaltender Levente Szuper had been the OHL's best rookie goalie, went on to win the AHL Calder Cup and became Hungary's first ever player on an NHL roster when Roman Turek was injured and he was called up to backup Jamie McLennan, but he never played, so technically no Hungarian has yet played in an NHL game.

szuper-levi.jpg

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For Hungary I'd say getting back to the first tier of the World Championships without any doubt, 2009 was special but also the promotion won 2015 in Kraków against the hosts.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Ya, those two for sure and also..... The Forgotten (and original) Miracle on Ice at the 1960 Olympics held at Squaw Valley... which you... "forgot" Weissy Baby. :D
I've always thought that regarding 1960 as a "miracle" is a bit of myth making. For example, here's what wiki says:
Canada, the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia and Sweden were the top four teams heading into the Games.

Really? The US beat the Czechs in 1956, 1959 and tied them in 1958 (on European ice.) They clobbered the Swedes in 1956 and 1959. They beat Canada in 1956. Keep in mind that the US teams at the World Championships were inferior to their Olympic team. Plus they were playing at home. So at the least they should have been a Bronze medal favourite.

Reactions: Killion

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Japan beating Austria in a shootout to avoid last place at the Nagano Olympics or tying France at the 2004 World Championships to avoid last place (although it extended their winless streak in the A pool to 36 games).

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
China: beating Bulgaria 4-3 in their first ever game at the World Championship C pool in 1972. That's just about it for the Chinese men's team

Romania: beating the US 5-4 at the 1977 Worlds, with the added bonus of watching Lou Nanne and John Mariucci get into a fistfight on the US bench. Also having a brief 1st period lead against Canada at the same championships.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... The US beat the Czechs in 1956, 1959 and tied them in 1958 (on European ice.) They clobbered the Swedes in 1956 and 1959. They beat Canada in 1956. Keep in mind that the US teams at the World Championships were inferior to their Olympic team. Plus they were playing at home. So at the least they should have been a Bronze medal favourite.

I see where your coming from however I think the fact that they were none the less "Underdogs" coming into the Olympic's, the heroics' of the Christian brothers, Bill Cleary & Jack McCartan (among others) was I think for many at the time both a revelation and a surprise. Multiple sources speak to this earlier "Miracle on Ice" stating same, I personally "vaguely" remember hearing about it at the time, the US back then certainly not considered much of a powerhouse in producing talent. A team of Senior' & minor pro's, university & college students. So a "bit of myth making"? Over-inflated? Perhaps so, a bit. Like everything else really including the 1980 Miracle on Ice, like Bob Baun scoring an important goal "on one leg", like fishing stories told round the campfire,...

www.usahockeymagazine.com/article/2010-02/original-golden-boys

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad