The Best Moment In Each National Team's History

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
For Czech republic (including former Czechoslovakia):

1. "Tournament of the Century", Nagano 1998
Many generations of Czechoslovak hockey players dreamed about the gold medal from Olympics. They often came close but always fell short. On route to gold Czech team defeated all heaviest favorites in USA, CAN and RUS with memorable Hasek performance.

2. "Hockey against tanks", WHC 1969
Few months after invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw pact forces, Czechoslovaks managed to defeat the Soviets in both matches in the tournament. It might sound silly to the outsider but ice hockey was the only way how could tiny Czechoslovakia fight back. It wasn't possible politically and it was absolutely unthinkable to fight back with arms. Every player on ice new that whole nation is watching and expects nothing but victory against Soviets. Although Czechoslovakia finished third in the tournament, players were welcomed at home as champions and true heroes.
http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/100-year-anniversary/100-top-stories/story-18/

3. "The golden hat trick", 2001 WHC
The era of Czech international dominance was sealed with the third victory at World Championships in row and Czech hockey was its absolute peak. Until these days no one was able to replicate this feat since the playoff format was adopted at Worlds.

4. 2005 full NHL lockout WHC
Quite a lot of posters here don't recognize this tournament as best on best tournament even though all NHL players were available, and average Czech fan probably doesn't even care about such things, but Czechs proved again they can win against the best.

5. 1976 Canada cup
Everyone was expecting Canada-Soviet show, but Czechoslovakia managed to surprise everybody including Canada, when they beat their team 1-0 in the group stage. Czechoslovakia finished second in the tournament after losing both final games (including 6-0 blowout loss), but proved they can stack against the world's best very well.

1972 has got to be up there. Winning at home, beating the Soviets who won NINE (!) consecutive world championships up to that point.

Honorable mention to the late 1940's team who won 2 WC's ('47 & '49) and probably would have won a few more if not for this:

Goaltender Bohumil Modry was sentenced to 15 years in prison; forward Gustav Bubnik to 14 years; forward Stanislav Konopasek got 12; Vaclav Rozinak and Vladimir Kobranov each got 10 years; and, Josef Jirka got six years. Six other players were given sentences ranging from eight months to three years; Mojmir Ujcik, Zlatko Cerveny, Jiri Macelis, Premysl Hajny, Antonin Spaninger and Josef Stock.

Modry, the best goaltender in Europe of that era, died in 1963, at the age of 47, from prison related complications. Most of the players were released after five years, but their lives and families were shattered. So was a great hockey team. Czechoslovakia would have to wait 23 years, until 1972, before they won another World Championship.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/100-year-anniversary/100-top-stories/story-48/

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
i suppose. i guess canada has so many greater achievements and victories that an exhibition series seems very insignificant to me.

It seems to me that it became 'an insignificant exhibition series' only later, whereas in 1979 many took it seriously, and it was seen as a continuation of USSR vs CAN rivalry. The members of Canadian broadcasting team Bobby Orr, Howie Meeker and Dick Irvin, Jr were certainly very worried about the result and, I suppose, were even more worried after the 1981 Canada Cup.

i'm not trying to belittle or be obnoxious about this,

Sure you're not! Except maybe little. :naughty:

it just seems to me the great ussr hockey machine should have higher standards. but again i suppose they 'won' and those 'wins' are very rare so it apparently is a big deal to them.

Again, NOBODY here has chosen the 1979 Challenge Cup as USSR's greatest win ever. Personally, I see it as proof of their great form in the 1978-79 season, not just an isolated 'great achievement'. But heck, give us your list then, if you're so much better informed about USSR's hockey achievements than the rest of us. Let me guess; the 1981 Canada Cup win is their only win worth to mention, right? :shakehead

if we would have won it would be bottom rung or more likely not even on the ladder.

Soviet hockey existed from about 1947 to 1991 (and the last couple of years were a total mess anyway). Canadian hockey had been born much earlier and still exists today. (USSR was a totally different beast than Russia.) And only in 1972 did USSR and Canada start to face each other with their best teams. So there isn't that many events to choose from, as far as USSR vs CAN serieses go. And by the way, the 1972 series remained as the only best-on-best series between the two nations where there was an equal setup (4 games played in each country, both NHL refs and international refs etc). If there had been a best-on-best tournament called The Soviet Cup (=played in the Soviet Union, in front of Soviet home-crowd) instead of Canada Cup, I think there would have been at least a couple of more big victories for Team USSR, especially in the early-/mid-1980s. You are free to think differently (i.e. that home advantage didn't help Canada to win especially in 1987), of course.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
5. 1976 Canada cup
Everyone was expecting Canada-Soviet show, but Czechoslovakia managed to surprise everybody including Canada, when they beat their team 1-0 in the group stage. Czechoslovakia finished second in the tournament after losing both final games (including 6-0 blowout loss), but proved they can stack against the world's best very well.

Were they? USSR did not have Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Yakushev, Shadrin and Tsygankov on their roster, and Czechoslovakia had just won the world championship clearly a few months earlier. At least in hindsight, Czechoslovakia had the 2nd best team, both on paper and in reality.

However, 1976 is certainly one of CSSR's big years, and it is probably when the team was at its best; Martinec, Novy and Hlinka were all at their peak, and older icons like Jiri Holik, Frantisek Pospisil and Jiri Holecek were still brilliant too, and young Peter Stastny was emerging.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And by the way, the 1972 series remained as the only best-on-best series between the two nations where there was an equal setup (4 games played in each country, both NHL refs and international refs etc).

A minor correction: there were no NHL referees in the 1972 Summit Series. The referees who handled the games in Canada were IIHF referees from the USA.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
an exhibition series seems very insignificant to me.
Considering, that you have about 5 posts in one thread about how insignificant that game was to you, we all noticed, that it was REALLY insignificant.
Especially considering, that it was listed as one series of the whole year.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
i guess canada has so many greater achievements and victories that an exhibition series seems very insignificant to me.

The Summit Series was an exhibition series too. Very insignificant, I assume?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Meh, whatever. To some Canadian fans every time their team loses its something to blame. Wrong players chosen, bad coaching, didn't take it seriously, the sun was in their eyes, the ice was tilted. I'm sure 1972 Summit Series would be viewed in the similar light as 1979 Challenge Cup had Canada lost.

Keep in mind also that 1979 wasn't Canada vs USSR, it's was NHL All Stars vs USSR, so a victory during that series wouldn't really go into Canada's column anyway. That's really another reason why it's treated as insignificant by Canadian fans/historians. But to say that players treated it as exhibition would be completely false. Those were heated contests.

Look, Canada has the biggest talent pool and their best team was always filled with all-stars. I don't think any country had a team that deep, ever.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Keep in mind also that 1979 wasn't Canada vs USSR, it's was NHL All Stars vs USSR, so a victory during that series wouldn't really go into Canada's column anyway. That's really another reason why it's treated as insignificant by Canadian fans/historians. But to say that players treated it as exhibition would be completely false. Those were heated contests.

No, but one can say that de facto it was Canada; 3 Swedes (of which only Börje Salming played in all three games + significant minutes) on the team make it only so that it could not be called Team Canada. But Larry Robinson, for example, said things like "I'm proud to be Canadian" and "You'd like to win for your country for sure" in the interview during game 3.

Anyway, beating that team 6-0 (and not in the 1st or 2nd but 3rd game) should mean something, and along with their performance at the 1979 WHC (even stronger), it shows that in the 1978-79 season, USSR was exceptionally strong.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
For Czech republic (including former Czechoslovakia):

1. "Tournament of the Century", Nagano 1998
Many generations of Czechoslovak hockey players dreamed about the gold medal from Olympics. They often came close but always fell short. On route to gold Czech team defeated all heaviest favorites in USA, CAN and RUS with memorable Hasek performance.

2. "Hockey against tanks", WHC 1969
Few months after invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw pact forces, Czechoslovaks managed to defeat the Soviets in both matches in the tournament. It might sound silly to the outsider but ice hockey was the only way how could tiny Czechoslovakia fight back. It wasn't possible politically and it was absolutely unthinkable to fight back with arms. Every player on ice new that whole nation is watching and expects nothing but victory against Soviets. Although Czechoslovakia finished third in the tournament, players were welcomed at home as champions and true heroes.
http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/100-year-anniversary/100-top-stories/story-18/

3. "The golden hat trick", 2001 WHC
The era of Czech international dominance was sealed with the third victory at World Championships in row and Czech hockey was its absolute peak. Until these days no one was able to replicate this feat since the playoff format was adopted at Worlds.

4. 2005 full NHL lockout WHC
Quite a lot of posters here don't recognize this tournament as best on best tournament even though all NHL players were available, and average Czech fan probably doesn't even care about such things, but Czechs proved again they can win against the best.

5. 1976 Canada cup

Yeah, this seems about right. Perhaps I would only replace 76´ Canada Cup with 1972 Gold medal from World championship that was achieved after more than decade and on home soil. Canada Cup was sure great but it was "only" the silver at the end so...

The original question was however, the best moment and that is just absolutely 1998 Nagano olympics. I think even 99 % of older fans who remembers 70s success well would say so.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, this seems about right. Perhaps I would only replace 76´ Canada Cup with 1972 Gold medal from World championship that was achieved after more than decade and on home soil. Canada Cup was sure great but it was "only" the silver at the end so...

The original question was however, the best moment and that is just absolutely 1998 Nagano olympics. I think even 99 % of older fans who remembers 70s success well would say so.

Nagano is the greatest sports achievement the Czechs (independent or as part of Czechoslovakia) have ever acheived.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Considering, that you have about 5 posts in one thread about how insignificant that game was to you, we all noticed, that it was REALLY insignificant.
Especially considering, that it was listed as one series of the whole year.

so responding within a discussion in your world means that one really really care about the series? how odd.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Meh, whatever. To some Canadian fans every time their team loses its something to blame. Wrong players chosen, bad coaching, didn't take it seriously, the sun was in their eyes, the ice was tilted. I'm sure 1972 Summit Series would be viewed in the similar light as 1979 Challenge Cup had Canada lost.

Look, Canada has the biggest talent pool and their best team was always filled with all-stars. I don't think any country had a team that deep, ever.

there always is an underlying reason when canada loses. with russia it's straight forward and simple as to why they lost, they just aren't as good.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
there always is an underlying reason when canada loses. with russia it's straight forward and simple as to why they lost, they just aren't as good.

That's not necessarily the case when it comes to the few years surrounding 1980 - when the Soviet Union's best overall group of skaters from the 80s crossed over with veterans Vasiliev, Petrov and Mikhailov, and a peak level Tretiak. Most years, Canada has been unquestionably the top source of hockey talent, but that was at it's most debatable around that time.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
That's not necessarily the case when it comes to the few years surrounding 1980 - when the Soviet Union's best overall group of skaters from the 80s crossed over with veterans Vasiliev, Petrov and Mikhailov, and a peak level Tretiak. Most years, Canada has been unquestionably the top source of hockey talent, but that was at it's most debatable around that time.

i agree that was the most debatable time period but even then canada was still #1.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
i agree that was the most debatable time period but even then canada was still #1.

However, "debatable" implies that if the "better" team loses, one doesn't need to go looking for anomalies to explain it. Hockey can be random - pucks go off skates, posts, players wake up on the wrong side of the bed and turn in 95% of what they're capable instead of 100%. Canada and the Soviet Union were both able to put together good teams during this period, and when good teams play each other, one or the other will win. When either of them loses against a not-so-good team, like the Americans in 1980 or the Swiss in 2006, that requires explanation.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY

Again, Canada is always the favorite, I admit it.

But keep in mind, 2 of Canada's best-on-best victories shouldn't even be counted as best-on-best:

1976 Canada Cup
1991 World Cup

In both cases Soviets/Russia refused to bring their best players.

I'm sorry, but it is not a best-on-best tournament when one of the favorites, a top 2 team, didn't bring their best.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

But keep in mind, 2 of Canada's best-on-best victories shouldn't even be counted as best-on-best:

1976 Canada Cup
1991 World Cup

I'm sorry, but it is not a best-on-best tournament when one of the favorites, a top 2 team, didn't bring their best.

that's okay if you folk want to look at it that way. the gap between us is widening anyway.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

1976 Canada Cup
1991 World Cup

just another thought on this, this concept completely degrades the World Championships every single year as well as every single olympic gold medal that the soviets/russians have ever won.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
For Canada it's 1972.

I've seen the argument for 2002 over 2010 and it mostly makes sense, though I don't think that the 50 year Olympic gap was something that most people actually cared about. Certainly avenging two best on best losses was a big deal. Just personally I thought that 2010 seemed bigger. Part of it was that Canada had its worst ever performance in 2006, and part was that the opportunity to win the Olympic gold on home ice was essentially a once in a generation opportunity for Canada. It didn't hurt that it helped put Canada over the top for the gold medal record as well. For what it's worth, Pronger stated that for him 2010 was bigger. I would be curious to hear thoughts from Iginla and Hitchcock regarding which one was bigger for them.

Not to argue which one of 2002 or 2010 was bigger (although on a personal level 2002 was more important), but from my recollection and perspective the 50 years gap was a theme plastered over the news, so much so that I distinctively remember it being brought up by my friends prior to the game as well as it being mentioned during the broadcast multiple times.

But then again, I'm from Quebec and our sports coverage is... let's say sub-par, whatever par is.

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
For Belarus it's obviously the 2002 win against Sweden, and more precisely the last goal.

I remember reading a quote from a player saying that there was no more vodka in Belarus after the game, or something like that (it may have been Sergei Kostitsyn).

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
just another thought on this, this concept completely degrades the World Championships every single year as well as every single olympic gold medal that the soviets/russians have ever won.

(Mod)

Hasn't it been already obvious to everyone that the World Championships and the pre-1998 (and post-2014) Olympics are/were not best-on-best tournaments? Still, it doesn't mean that there weren't classic games/performances and that there weren't classic rivalries at the World Championships/Olympics, especially between the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia; these two were the best hockey countries in the world outside Canada. Not to mention that the most famous hockey game ever (far more famous around the world than e.g. any Canada Cup game) was played at the 1980 Olympics (famous basically because it was the Soviets who lost and USA who won; you know, people love the Soviets when they lose, but much less so when they win ;))

Canadian or pro-Canada posters often love to point out that Bobby Orr (injured, not 'barred' from the series), Bobby Hull, plus a few other lesser stars didn't play in 1972, and/or that the Canadians didn't prepare themselves well, as if it was USSR's problem/fault. Now surely one can also point out that USSR had far from their best possible teams in 1976 and 1991; it's just a matter of fact. Whether that makes the tournaments non-best-on-best... it's another debate.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not to argue which one of 2002 or 2010 was bigger (although on a personal level 2002 was more important), but from my recollection and perspective the 50 years gap was a theme plastered over the news, so much so that I distinctively remember it being brought up by my friends prior to the game as well as it being mentioned during the broadcast multiple times.

But then again, I'm from Quebec and our sports coverage is... let's say sub-par, whatever par is.

Yes I remember the media talking about it. Certainly CBC did. I don't remember people that I actually knew, regular people, caring about it. People were mad about losing the 1998 Olympics and the 1996 World Cup. Two consecutive best on best losses was bad. Losses in the Olympic tournaments prior to 1998 weren't that big a deal.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've been insanely busy these past few weeks and haven't gotten a chance to respond until now. I'll elaborate on some of my initial decisions/ mistakes from my OP based on country.

Canada: As great as 2002 was (It's my personal favorite moment), it doesn't seem as big as 2010 was because 2010 was at home, against the U.S.A and the best player in the world won in OT! That was a bigger deal than the 50 year Olympic drought which was still a big deal, but not as big especially due to the lack of professionals at the Olympics for the vast majority of the tournaments existence.

Soviet Union/ Russia: I honestly forgot about the 1979 Challenge Cup, sorry.

U.S.A: The 1980 Miracle on Ice is far bigger and more talked about than 1960, probably because more people remember it, there was the Hollywood movie about it, the US economy was down and people needed something to feel good about at the time, the Soviets were better in 1980 than in 1960 compared to the U.S.A (probably, someone can tell me if I'm wrong), and there were most likely other factors too.

Sweden: I almost immediately regretted saying 2006 and its not even close. I didn't know of the impact the 1987 World Championship team had on the nation, and I would like to thank the Swedish posters for explaining its impact and significance on Swedish society and culture. I mostly said 2006 over 1994 because of the fact that 2006 was best on best and that beats the Forsberg "postage stamp" goal, but if the Swedish people feel differntly than who am I to complain.

Finland: I seem to have gotten Finland correctly

Czechoslovakia: Probably one of the times they beat the Soviets in the World Championships. I consider Czechoslovakia's history separate from both the Czech Republic and Slovakia's history because then it becomes difficult to tell which accomplishment belongs to which country as opposed to the Soviet Union/ Russia where it is clear that Russia is the successor to the Soviet Union.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->