World Cup: the best hockey ever 1987 Canada vs USSR

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Summit Series might actually be a good candidate for a TV series rather then a movie. And it’s a story that could be told from multiple angles, including from Soviet players’ point of view (there was already a 30 for 30 from that point of view, which drew rave reviews).

It would probably be centered around mostly on off-the-ice plots. Unfortunately, that means Alan Eagleson (or a character based on him) would be one of the central characters. He would be the Walter White of hockey. :)

You're right that a mini-series would be better. The Soviet perspective would be an interesting one, particularly given that in Canada we hear about the series often but most of the Soviet opinions (most of which come from Tretiak) are pretty superficial. Mikhailov gives interesting thoughts. Eagleson was obviously a jerk but he would make for a good character to watch. You also have guys like Perreault, Martin and Hadfield quitting the team during the series. The bloody exhibition games against Sweden when team Canada first arrived in Europe are also interested but almost never discussed.

member 305909

There arent that many people who are old enough to remember the 1972 series. I bet the majority of posters of this board are too young to remember the 1987 Canada Cup as well.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There arent that many people who are old enough to remember the 1972 series. I bet the majority of posters of this board are too young to remember the 1987 Canada Cup as well.

There are people who have seen the games though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Cold War on Ice is one of my favorite historical documentaries on ANY subject.

I’m shocked Hollywood hasn’t made a feature film about the Summit Series. If the NHL really wanted to get some buzz in the US about hockey, they should try to make that happen. There are MILLIONS of Americans who have never heard of it.

There are 22 people in the breakroom with me right now and I’d bet that no more than four even know what the Summit Series was. And I’m on the North Shore of Massachusetts where hockey is as popular as anywhere else in the US.

Too good of a story not to share with as big an audience as possible.

I know a number of years back CBC made a 2 part mini-series on the 72 games. It was simply titled Canada Russia 72 and can still be bought on Amazon.

As for the best team ever assembled, the easy answer is Team Canada 76. Can any team hold a candle to that collection of H.O.F???

I agree though that the 87 series was some of the best hockey ever played.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It was a hell of a series and just sensational, breathtaking hockey. The beauty of the sport was really on full display in this series and I hope one day we will be able to witness that beauty again.

Full credit to the Soviets, to give a team with Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Gilmour, Gartner, Bourque, Coffey etc etc on it the trouble they did speaks volumes as to how powerful and insanely talented the Soviets were.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What today stands out most from these videos are the quality of goaltending in the late 80's compared to today and the reffing when it was only one and pretty much everything goes by today's standards. I watches highlights of Finland vs Soviet Union and Canada in the 1990 Worlds some time ago and the amount hooking, clutching and grabbing by all teams really stands out.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What today stands out most from these videos are the quality of goaltending in the late 80's compared to today and the reffing when it was only one and pretty much everything goes by today's standards. I watches highlights of Finland vs Soviet Union and Canada in the 1990 Worlds some time ago and the amount hooking, clutching and grabbing by all teams really stands out.

NHL was full of grabbing and hooking just 5 years ago...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Make that pre-2005 lockout. I know it creeped back in there but the amount of stuff that was let go by the refs in the 80's or early 90's was much worse than what it's been in the NHL in past 10 or so years.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
When you re watch these games you get a better appreciation for what a pain in the ass Khomutov was, real good player.

I think he was on their 92 gold medal winning team to eh?

Good player that gets overlooked by legends.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site

The hooking was far more blatant in the 80s and 90s than today. These days, you almost never see players hook like they used to - it's more about getting body position to slow your opponent down.

I agree that this series is the pinnacle of hockey. Isn't great to watch when teams aren't worried about "systems" and other BS - they're just trying to skate, score, and stop the other team.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
With the time people remember more and more only the good things. Also, do here play a Nostalgia big part of the game? I mean, there are sure many others great games after CC 87. And nobody talks about them.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006

I don't know how a Canadian person can look at that and say "we won in 87 fair and square". There was so much filth from the Canadian side, it's ridiculous. Up until Lemieux's winning goal, which should have been whistled down for Hawerchuk's hook. But on the official legendary replay they never show that angle.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I don't know how a Canadian person can look at that and say "we won in 87 fair and square". There was so much filth from the Canadian side, it's ridiculous. Up until Lemieux's winning goal, which should have been whistled down for Hawerchuk's hook. But on the official legendary replay they never show that angle.

This was the flaw with the Canada Cup that precluded it from attaining best on best status. You had Canadian citizens who were also NHL employees who refereed the games. It is just not possible to have a fair outcome under those circumstances. I thought that because of the absences on the Soviet side in 1984, you could say that both sides were even in talent. But in 1987, the Soviets had an overall advantage in talent, and yes, refereeing had a lot to do with the final outcome.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I will never understand the Canadian perspective on the 72 Summit Series. Heading in, Canada thought they would stomp the Soviets in all 8 games. Yes, it was a great comeback to win the last 3 games and the dramatic Henderson goal. But, all it showed was that Canada was NOT clearly head and shoulders above the Soviets and the prior success of the Soviets on the International stage was NOT because they were pros beating up on amateurs. I was not alive when it happened, and I am sure at the time the comeback was exciting. But, from a historical perspective it seems more like a wake-up call for Canada.

I have watched all 8 games and I do not think the hockey was all that great. Granted, it may have been for the time and I was comparing it to the more modern game. Last time I watched the 87 Canada Cup was about 2-3 years ago. When I watched it, I still think it was great hockey, not just great hockey for it's time.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Depends.

Our 1972 defense was far more skilled than 1987, but they had, leading up to ‘72, very little experience facing a heavy Canadian forecheck and net presence. Checking in the offensive zone was illegal previous to 1970 in IIHF play. It’s no surprise they were worn down as the series progressed. It was a learning experience.

However, talent wise, top to bottom, the 1987 d-core and goaltending was the worst since the ‘60s.
Really, led by Fetisov, "the Bobby Orr of Russian hockey"!!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I watched all live final and semi-final games, including Canada vs Czechs in Montreal and Sweden vs USSR in Hamilton. I also saw Sweden vs Canada and Canada vs USSR round robin 3-3 tie.
It was high octane offensive hockey at it's prime, similar to how the Oilers dominated the NHL in the mid/late 80's. In Canada and the Soviets, you had the 2 best 5 man units ever assembled in international hockey. Canadian pp unit, Gretzky,Lemieux,Messier, Bourque and Coffey. With the Soviets, the "green unit" consisting of: Krutov, Larianov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov. The skill on those units were off the charts and they were all in their prime. The game has really changed defensively and in goal.
In contrast, how the game has evolved since then, compare it to the greatest defensive shut down team to ever be assembled-Team Canada Olympic team, Sochi Russia.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
This was the flaw with the Canada Cup that precluded it from attaining best on best status. You had Canadian citizens who were also NHL employees who refereed the games. It is just not possible to have a fair outcome under those circumstances. I thought that because of the absences on the Soviet side in 1984, you could say that both sides were even in talent. But in 1987, the Soviets had an overall advantage in talent, and yes, refereeing had a lot to do with the final outcome.
To say that this tournament wasn't "best on best" is ridiculous. Yes it was on Canadian soil, NHL sized ice surface and NHL refs, still far and away better than European reffing that we had been used too since the 60's. Nothing worse than 72 in the Soviet Union when Canadians threatened not to play the final game.
Show video of the Russian dives during the 87 Canada Cup, plenty, if you want to go down that road.
Take a look at coach "Tikonov" drilling his players after the Lemieux goal and tell me that wasn't a best on best!
By the way, love your passion for Russian and international hockey!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I have the whole series on DVD.

One of the great things when you go back and watch is to hear all the names that, at that time, were complete unknowns.
The one that stands out the most is a scrwany kid playing in net for Czeckoslovakia named Dominic Hasek.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
When you re watch these games you get a better appreciation for what a pain in the ass Khomutov was, real good player.

I think he was on their 92 gold medal winning team to eh?

Good player that gets overlooked by legends.

I’ve always wondered what happened with the Bykov and Khomutov situation? Why did they decide to go to Switzerland?

The whole line was drafted by the same NHL team, I’m certain with the intention of forming a line in NHL. But only Kamensky decided to go to NA and had a very nice career.

It would have been interesting to see Bykov and Khomutov in NHL. They are often forgotten, but they were absolutely very talented players.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->