World Cup: the best hockey ever 1987 Canada vs USSR

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I also collected my own goal-scoring data from these games. It was crazy how equal they were. Scoring chanches were dead even in each game. For winning the whole series it was a 1 shot difference.

Gretzky assisting something like 20 scoring chances on the 2nd game was also insane.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Im a casual fan, but I think to myself, "damn Russia must have been good if Canada's 1PP was Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Coffey, and Bourque!"
The Soviets were tremendous, when you watch the games their whole team play really jumps out at you, especially Krutov, who was a maniac goal scorer, so dangerous.

Reactions: Suhov

okSourdough

Mar 27, 2010
I too was lucky enough top go to the last game. Simply the most incredible game I've ever seen live or otherwise. The pure skill on both teams was a joy to behold and one to savour for a lifetime

Reactions: Larry44

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Im a casual fan, but I think to myself, "damn Russia must have been good if Canada's 1PP was Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Coffey, and Bourque!"

... and they were allowing short-handed goals.

One of the most underrated part of the series is the heart and resilience that both teams showed. Each game featured dramatic comebacks.

Reactions: snipes

member 305909

I would love to see the old Canada-cup brought back the way it was; six teams round-robin, semi-finals and finals of best of three.

If it is so important to call it the world cup instead of Canada-cup then go ahead.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I would love to see the old Canada-cup brought back the way it was; six teams round-robin, semi-finals and finals of best of three.

If it is so important to call it the world cup instead of Canada-cup then go ahead.

The landscape of international hockey is changing. Switzerland, for example, is building a strong program. I think pretty soon they will be in the mix with top 6.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
The landscape of international hockey is changing. Switzerland, for example, is building a strong program. I think pretty soon they will be in the mix with top 6.
We have heard that for years. But the weaker teams havent made much progress.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The '87 Canada Cup was great, but nothing compares to the 1972 Summit Series.

Team Canada was down and out after being embarrassed in Canada and had to win the last 3 games in Russia , and pulled it off.

cut.jpg

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

It won't ever be like that again, because it was a clash of two systems, political and hockey. Nowadays all political and hockey systems are roughly the same to a degree of boredom...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The '87 Canada Cup was great, but nothing compares to the 1972 Summit Series.

Team Canada was down and out after being embarrassed in Canada and had to win the last 3 games in Russia , and pulled it off.

View attachment 133893

CC87 hockey was still way higher of quality. The only difference was goaltending, because even with 20 year old Tretyak we would have beaten Canada...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The 1987 Canada Cup definitely had hockey of higher quality than that at the 1972 Summit Series. 1972 had several problems like a disjointed schedule, ill-prepared teams, bloated rosters and teams that weren't really aware of how their opposition would play. Better drama in 1972 though.

Reactions: rfournier103

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
CC87 hockey was still way higher of quality. The only difference was goaltending, because even with 20 year old Tretyak we would have beaten Canada...
20 year-old Tretiak gave up almost 4 goals a game in 8 games against an out of shape and weakened (no Bobby Orr or Bobby Hull) team Canada. Team Canada '87 was more deadly on offense... they would have lit Tretiak up like a Christmas tree.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
20 year-old Tretiak gave up almost 4 goals a game in 8 games against an out of shape and weakened (no Bobby Orr or Bobby Hull) team Canada. Team Canada '87 was more deadly on offense... they would have lit Tretiak up like a Christmas tree.

Soviet team generally played way better defense at CC87, and 4 goals/game would be enough to beat Canada.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Soviet team generally played way better defense at CC87, and 4 goals/game would be enough to beat Canada.
My point was that a 20 year-0ld Tretiak was giving up that many goals against an offensively weaker Team Canada '72. He would have allowed at least 6 goals a game... and perhaps more... against team Canada '87.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
My point was that a 20 year-0ld Tretiak was giving up that many goals against an offensively weaker Team Canada '72. He would have allowed at least 6 goals a game... and perhaps more... against team Canada '87.

My point was, that Soviet defense played way better in 87, than in 72, so it would have still been 4 goals/game.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
My point was, that Soviet defense played way better in 87, than in 72, so it would have still been 4 goals/game.
Soviet and defense is almost like an oxymoron... kinda like Jumbo Shrimp. ;)

I don't think a 20 year-old Tretiak would have made a lot of difference, as he was lit up for six goals in the deciding game of the '72 series as well. Besides, you can't arbitrarily take players from different eras as fuel to say your team should have won.

If so, I'll grant you that Tretiak probably would have stopped more pucks in '87. But if we had a 22 year-old Bobby Orr, a 25 year-0ld Rocket Richard and a 28 year-old Gordie Howe, we would have scored double digits in each game. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad