The best future defenses... what changes would you make to this list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evman150*

raketheleaves said:
CGY: LYDMAN, LEOPOLD, Regehr, Gauthier, Phaneuf, Ramholt, Ference, Warrener

Wow. Best on the list by far.

And how is Robyn Regehr not considered a "number one" guy? He's our #1 RIGHT NOW for christ's sake. And how is Dion Phaneuf not considered a future number one? If he isn't, then who the hell is? I consider him to be the definition of future number one guy.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hmmmm.....well I don't know....this is Calgary's complete D depth chart right now, all under 27, potentials in brackets.

Lydman (has No.1 potential)
Warrener (really a solid top 4 guy IMO)
Leopold (has superior No.1 potential, believe it)
Regehr (will be a solid 2 or 3 IMO)
Gauthier (Is top 5 already at least)
Ference (Really inconsistant, could be top 4 if he puts it together but don't count on it)
Montador (Just a depth guy)
Commodore (Same as Ference IMO)
Wallin (Career minor leaguer IMO)
Rozakov (Could be a top 6 guy, but I doubt it)
Phaneuf (Definetaly has No.1 potential)
Ramholt (Could be a solid 2-way No.2, a real wildcard)
Johnsson (Could be top 6 one day)
Frogren (Could be top 6, times running out)
Marttinen (His stats in SM-Liiga impress me, wild card)
Hakewill (not much here)
Campbell (not here either)
Kokorev (time is basically up)

Thats the way I see it anyway.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Whoa...I think there is some confusion between a "de facto" number 1 and a "legitimate" number 1. At most, 5 teams have a "legitimate" number 1 (The Lidstroms and the Prongers) while every team has a "de facto" number 1. For the future, I see only four guys who really have potential to be future legitimate number ones...Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Stuart, and Klesla (in order of likelihood). For Calgary to field as many as 3 potential number 1s, thatd be amazing. I see that they carry alot of the 2-3 types but I don't really see a "legitimate" number one guy in that group.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Patty Ice XXX said:
Whoa...I think there is some confusion between a "de facto" number 1 and a "legitimate" number 1. At most, 5 teams have a "legitimate" number 1 (The Lidstroms and the Prongers) while every team has a "de facto" number 1. For the future, I see only four guys who really have potential to be future legitimate number ones...Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Stuart, and Klesla (in order of likelihood). For Calgary to field as many as 3 potential number 1s, thatd be amazing. I see that they carry alot of the 2-3 types but I don't really see a "legitimate" number one guy in that group.

What you are saying is true, but I think Phaneuf does have legitimate #1 potential.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Bruins...

"JILSON, BOYNTON, Gill, Stuart, Jonsson, Jurcina, Morrisonn"

I think it should look more like this...

JILLSON, BOYNTON, Stuart, Girard(injured but will come back), Jonsson, Jurcina, Morrisonn, Kutlak(whos on the Bruins roster now), and Alberts.

PEli*

New Jersey

In: Matt DeMarchi
Out: Colin White

Calgary's blueline looks absolutely sick...

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Tretyak 20 said:
Great group of D's. I'd leave Staios out though, he's not gonna stay there long. Did EDM re-sign Pisa after the NYR trade?

Ales Pisa is now in New York, and they just signed Staios to a new contract...maybe add Bobby Allen?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Patty Ice XXX said:
Well I guess it depends on what you rank as a No.1 one D really, I mean Lidstrom, Pronger, Blake of course, but what about guys like Jovo and Ohlund and so on? It all depends on that IMO.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
kruezer said:
Well I guess it depends on what you rank as a No.1 one D really, I mean Lidstrom, Pronger, Blake of course, but what about guys like Jovo and Ohlund and so on? It all depends on that IMO.

Well, I've expanded the definition a bit I guess to legitimate two-way defensemen who are No. 1's or can be No. 1's.

Is Phaneuf really a legitimate two-way defenseman?

I'm not sure I would take Colin White out of Jersey's lineup tho. In any event his value is equivalent to that spot anyway, so I'll leave him there.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
evman150 said:
Wow. Best on the list by far.

And how is Robyn Regehr not considered a "number one" guy? He's our #1 RIGHT NOW for christ's sake. And how is Dion Phaneuf not considered a future number one? If he isn't, then who the hell is? I consider him to be the definition of future number one guy.

Does Regehr really have offensive upside?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Add Andy Schneider to the Pens list, as well as Daniel Fernholm.

There are a number of guys with some good potential in the system. The top three are Orpik, Whitney, and Welch. Any number of guys can factor in elsewhere, but I feel Schneider has a part in it.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
raketheleaves said:
Well, I've expanded the definition a bit I guess to legitimate two-way defensemen who are No. 1's or can be No. 1's.

Is Phaneuf really a legitimate two-way defenseman?

I'm not sure I would take Colin White out of Jersey's lineup tho. In any event his value is equivalent to that spot anyway, so I'll leave him there.

Phaneuf I put in the Derian Hatcher category...sure has the look of the no. 1 type but when it comes down to it, he just doesn't have the offense you'd like outta your no. 1. The kid is fantastic thats for sure though.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think Phaneuf has some solid offensive potential, I think Regehr is maxed out with Foote type numbers, but Phaneuf has more Blake type stats potential IMO, he can be the big shot on the other side of Calgary's PP very soon.

leafaholix*

Isles...

In: Arto Tukio, Sasha Stonkus, Jan Holub, Bruno Gervais

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
kruezer said:
I think Phaneuf has some solid offensive potential, I think Regehr is maxed out with Foote type numbers, but Phaneuf has more Blake type stats potential IMO, he can be the big shot on the other side of Calgary's PP very soon.
I'd just like to add that also I think Lydman will not become a No.1 on Calgary, only if he gets traded, which I still think he will be eventually.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
ShadowL said:
I think it should look more like this...

JILLSON, BOYNTON, Stuart, Girard(injured but will come back), Jonsson, Jurcina, Morrisonn, Kutlak(whos on the Bruins roster now), and Alberts.

Jillson has no chance of ever being a #1. His top end is Tom Poti. The Bruin board was talking about how he will get 40 or 50 points this year. He'll be lucky to get 25.

evman150*

raketheleaves said:
Does Regehr really have offensive upside?

Not much. 6-24-30 maybe.

If considerable offense is required to be a number one defenceman in your opinion, then I guess Regehr is not one.

But I consider guys like Adam Foote, Mattias Norstrom and Mattias Ohlund number one defencemen, in my opinion Regehr fits in with them.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
I think both Edmonton and Calgary's defense will be scary for years to come. Might be the top 2 future defenses in the league.

Calgary

Jordan Leopold (He will be a #1, Flames best dman this year imo)
Robyn Regehr (A physical smart player with some offense, top 2 already)
Dion Phaneuf(Has Scott Stevens potential imo)
Toni Lydman(Another solid all around defensemen)
Denis Gauthier(Solid very physical top 4 dman)
Rhett Warrener(A top 4 physical dman on most teams in NHL)
Tim Ramholt(Another prospect with great upside)

Edmonton

Eric Brewer (Oilers #1 already at 23, potential to be a superstar)
Alex Semenov(Top 4 at age 22, huge, great skater, and rocket shot)
Jeff Wowitka(Potential top 4 defensemen, does everything well)
Doug Lynch(Top 4 potential, big, skilled, playing excellent in AHL so far)
Matt Greene(Physical force in college, definite top 4 potential)
Marc-Andre Bergeron(leading alltime scoring defensemen in junior, future pp quaterback)

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
I personnally feel this is a better defensive core group then Calgary's:

Komisarek-Souray
Brisebois-Hainsey
Rivet-Markov

5 Defenseman that can play the point on the PP.
5 Defenseman that can make the first pass correctly
3 Puck Rushing defenseman(Brisebois,Hainsey,Markov)

Don't make fun of Brisebois, he is our best player with a +10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad