The best Fighter, Bodychecker who was a star.

Wetcoaster

Gordie Howe did have one very memorable fight with Leapin Lou Fontanato of the New York Rangers. Gordie was never an angel out on the ice and neither were any of the Red Wings of that era. It is somewhat amazing that hockey fans were still talking about that fight 30 and 40 years after it happend.The stuff of legends.
Larry Robinson in his era was considered one of the most physically punishing defenseman, both in terms of fighting and physical play. In his book, The Hammer, Dave Schultz of Broadway Bully fame more or less admits he lost his first NHL fight to Larry Robinson.
maurice richard challenged Howe during Howe's first visit to the Montreal Forum.

Bad mistake. The fight lasted one punch and Richard was able to throw 'em with the best. As noted at the Hockey Hall of Fame website:
Another tough star, Maurice "Rocket" Richard, challenged the rookie with a shove and a few angry words in Howe's first game in Montreal. Howe knocked Richard out cold with one punch.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...?mem=p197204&type=Player&page=bio&list=#photo

As a result of his one-sided fights early in his career no one challenged Howe for 9 seasons until Leapin' Louie Fontinato of the Rangers began to believe his own press clippings as the best fighter in the NHL. Big mistake and he would pay with his face courtesy of a series of devastating punches. His mangled mug was featured in a famous photo in Life Magazine in February 1959.

Then there was the time ol' Gramps came to the aid of his son, Mark, when they played together in the World Hockey Association. A goon was on top of Mark, wailing away, and ignored Gordie's polite request that he let the lad up.

"When he didn't," said son, Marty, "Gordie reached down, stuck his fingers into his nostrils and pulled him off the ice. The guy's nose must have stretched half a foot."
One of Mr. Hockey's records is safe
The Spectator. Hamilton, Ont.: Mar 24, 1994.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
maurice richard challenged Howe during Howe's first visit to the Montreal Forum.

Bad mistake. The fight lasted one punch and Richard was able to throw 'em with the best. As noted at the Hockey Hall of Fame website:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...?mem=p197204&type=Player&page=bio&list=#photo

As a result of his one-sided fights early in his career no one challenged Howe for 9 seasons until Leapin' Louie Fontinato of the Rangers began to believe his own press clippings as the best fighter in the NHL. Big mistake and he would pay with his face courtesy of a series of devastating punches. His mangled mug was featured in a famous photo in Life Magazine in February 1959.

One of Mr. Hockey's records is safe
The Spectator. Hamilton, Ont.: Mar 24, 1994.

Protected by Daddy. :)

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
I'm not treading any new grounds here, since so many other people have already said the players I'm going to reference, but for me, the top three are:
Howe
Neely
Clark

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
4 pages and not one mention of Lanny McDonald. He was pretty tough and never backed down from anyone. I can remember one fight against Billy Smith and the quotes after went something like, "tell Billy I'm soaking my hand" which Smith replied, "tell Lanny I'm soaking my head"

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What about Al Secord? I dont know if you would concider him a star player but he would regularly put up 40 goals a season and i know he scored 50 a couple times. He could fight pretty well.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
By no means am i comparing this guy to previously mentioned players...but one guy who always impressed me with his toughness and being a true power forward was Billy Guerin...unfortunately, I think he always thought he was worth more than whatever GM he was negotiating with...

Scott Stevens, Neely(unless he faced Claude Lemieux), Iginla, Clarke, Lindros in his prime, etc all great picks..

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Wendel Clark?

Someone may have mentioned him but he wasnt mentioned on the first page of the thread but Wendel Clark should get some mention here. He was a devistating body checker who could hold his own in a fight with anyone in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->