The best Fighter, Bodychecker who was a star.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Bob Gainey didn't fight but he left some guys feeling some serious pain with his body checks.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Nope, but dropyourgloves.com has, and they have him winning 1 of his 18 scraps:

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?Player=2309

I have a problem with that site's stats as I have every one of Jonathan,O'Reilly fights and many other Bruin fights so I took a sampling. Jonathan vs Nill.,Nill hits Jonathan with 8 straight shots to the top of the head and then Jonathan snaps his head with 2 bombs and the linesman saves Nill's life.Decision Nill-gimme a break. Cashman vs Schoenfeld,Schoenfeld and Cashman crash through the boards and fight on the ramp out of camera view or range and with all kinds of employees around them. You cannot see the fight.Decision Schoenfeld,How? Based on Cashman's cut.Jonathan vs Stewart,they really smack each other and Stewart's cut but the fight's pretty even. Decision Jonathan because Stewart's cut? The criteria for a win is what?Landing more?,landing effectively?,being cut?,throwing more? Very dubious stats!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Back to the point,for my money I'd take Orr ( best combination of talent and toughness in history),Tocchet,Neely,Roberts in the last 25 years.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I guess I missed the point but I'd take Neely and Scott Stevens followed by Larry Robinson and Johnny Bucyk.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
As was mentioned already, trusting that website is silly.
Not really. It atleast gives you a good idea of how he did. You could maybe argue that he won a few of those losses but there's no way DYG is wrong on all or even most of them.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Most of the losses can be wrong, especially in this case when it says that 6 losses were narrow and 4 fights were draws (the rest - 1 win, 3 clear losses, 4 unfair, 1 unrated). People who rate the fights often don't take into account when a player got the jump on another or if punches actually connected.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr - best bodycheckers and fighters who were superstars.

And from an earlier era - Eddie Shore.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Not really. It atleast gives you a good idea of how he did. You could maybe argue that he won a few of those losses but there's no way DYG is wrong on all or even most of them.

Exactly. If he was a great fighter (or even a good one), it would show up. I don't think there's some sort of secret anti-konstantinov agenda going on.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Exactly. If he was a great fighter (or even a good one), it would show up. I don't think there's some sort of secret anti-konstantinov agenda going on.[/QUOTE]

So you'd have us believe, you Konstantinov double agent, you.

I loved this guy as a player, he'd hit everything that moved, battle for every puck and square inch of the ice, but he wasn't a fighter.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Most of the losses can be wrong, especially in this case when it says that 6 losses were narrow and 4 fights were draws (the rest - 1 win, 3 clear losses, 4 unfair, 1 unrated). People who rate the fights often don't take into account when a player got the jump on another or if punches actually connected.

The evidence so far:

-He had very few fights (by the looks of it, about 5 times in his entire career where he squared off clean with a guy)
-none against heavyweights (toughest was probably Shane Corson)
-His only win according to this site was vs. Steve Thomas, and the two ratings have it as a "narrow win" and a "draw"

No matter how much of a giant internet conspiracy there is out there, I refuse to believe that Vladimir Konstantinov was a great fighter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->