The Best Canadian Defenceman

Who is the best?

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Doughty is still the best until proven otherwise over a longer period, Weber should really be an option here too.

He’s a better option than half the guys up there.
Habs are 11-9-5 without Weber this year 20-9-2 with him, 93.7 oisv%, beast this year

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Insulting that Pietrangelo is not even an option up for consideration. Yikes.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Good Lord, Doughty is over rated.
He is still a good player, but has never lived up to his insane hype.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good Lord, Doughty is over rated.
He is still a good player, but has never lived up to his insane hype.

Never?

Duhatschek: Did Drew Doughty’s 2014 get enough respect?

"Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty had a year to remember in 2014. In February, he was part of the national men's hockey team that defended its Olympic championship in Sochi, Russia, the first Canadian men's team to win a gold medal in an overseas Games on international-sized ice since 1952. He led the team in scoring, and if you were to rank the Canadian players in order of importance, it would probably go Doughty first, Shea Weber and Carey Price tied for second, and then Jonathan Toews."

"In the playoffs, Doughty averaged a team-high 28:45 per night of playing time, and contributed 18 points in 26 games. Justin Williams, who scored many pivotal goals along the Kings' playoff path, won the Conn Smythe Trophy, but Doughty was – as Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber put it – the thinking man's choice for playoff MVP."

And then from the man having a monster season himself:

""Sometimes a guy like Doughty, who achieves things like he did, should get recognized maybe a little outside of our sport," said Calgary Flames captain Mark Giordano. "I don't know if it's because we're in the hockey circle and get to see him all the time, but what he did … I thought he was the best player in the Olympics and then came back and was the best player in the Stanley Cup final. After a long, gruelling season, to be able to pull that off, that's pretty impressive.""

Just TRY to take the hatred blinders off for once. Just a 'good' player, lol. He arguably should have won the Norris last year, too, but no one was making any noise because people hate Doughty and everyone mostly loves Hedman (and that's not to say Hedman didn't deserve it at all, Doughty just had a hell of a case that was being overlooked in large because the usual folks that most could likely pinpoint by name were in the "not-Doughty" camp). Acting like he's fallen off some cliff because this season isn't up to the standards he's established since the early 2010s. Also keep in mind he's done this year in and year out since he started the league...he's only missed 15 games in his entire career. 98% of his possible games played, not counting Kings' playoff games, of which he's only missed one due to suspension...and everyone saw how bad the team was without him. Our top pairing guys filling in his absence were at a 25 and 33% CF% when Doughty was 58% for the series. I could go on, but yeah. People don't realize the impact he has because he 1. plays a relatively quiet game outside of end-to-end rushes and 2. the Kings are hardly ever without him. There's at least one poster here who tries to paint him as a passenger (oh look, it's OP) but the Kings typically go as Doughty and Kopitar go.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
CourageousTastyGalah-small.gif

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Moving forward it will be a little different, but Doughty is an easy answer here.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
:laugh:

Over the span of their careers it’s Weber AINEC. His Norris finishes quite easily reflect this.

You’re confusing this season with career.

Giordano has been one of the best defensive defensemen in the league over the last few years

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Never?

Duhatschek: Did Drew Doughty’s 2014 get enough respect?

"Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty had a year to remember in 2014. In February, he was part of the national men's hockey team that defended its Olympic championship in Sochi, Russia, the first Canadian men's team to win a gold medal in an overseas Games on international-sized ice since 1952. He led the team in scoring, and if you were to rank the Canadian players in order of importance, it would probably go Doughty first, Shea Weber and Carey Price tied for second, and then Jonathan Toews."

"In the playoffs, Doughty averaged a team-high 28:45 per night of playing time, and contributed 18 points in 26 games. Justin Williams, who scored many pivotal goals along the Kings' playoff path, won the Conn Smythe Trophy, but Doughty was – as Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber put it – the thinking man's choice for playoff MVP."

And then from the man having a monster season himself:

""Sometimes a guy like Doughty, who achieves things like he did, should get recognized maybe a little outside of our sport," said Calgary Flames captain Mark Giordano. "I don't know if it's because we're in the hockey circle and get to see him all the time, but what he did … I thought he was the best player in the Olympics and then came back and was the best player in the Stanley Cup final. After a long, gruelling season, to be able to pull that off, that's pretty impressive.""

Just TRY to take the hatred blinders off for once. Just a 'good' player, lol. He arguably should have won the Norris last year, too, but no one was making any noise because people hate Doughty and everyone mostly loves Hedman (and that's not to say Hedman didn't deserve it at all, Doughty just had a hell of a case that was being overlooked in large because the usual folks that most could likely pinpoint by name were in the "not-Doughty" camp). Acting like he's fallen off some cliff because this season isn't up to the standards he's established since the early 2010s. Also keep in mind he's done this year in and year out since he started the league...he's only missed 15 games in his entire career. 98% of his possible games played, not counting Kings' playoff games, of which he's only missed one due to suspension...and everyone saw how bad the team was without him. Our top pairing guys filling in his absence were at a 25 and 33% CF% when Doughty was 58% for the series. I could go on, but yeah. People don't realize the impact he has because he 1. plays a relatively quiet game outside of end-to-end rushes and 2. the Kings are hardly ever without him. There's at least one poster here who tries to paint him as a passenger (oh look, it's OP) but the Kings typically go as Doughty and Kopitar go.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You said "has never lived up to his hype," I'm giving you an example of a time he crushed it. I could drop some lines about last year too if you want?

Plus, there's no hype, a very vocal this board has spent years shittalking him, not sure exactly what you're arguing anyway, other than moving the goalposts as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You said "has never lived up to his hype," I'm giving you an example of a time he crushed it. I could drop some lines about last year too if you want?

Plus, there's no hype, a very vocal this board has spent years ****talking him, not sure exactly what you're arguing anyway, other than moving the goalposts as usual.

Incredibly over rated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad