3. Brian Leetch
4. Joe Mullen
5. Mike Richter
6. Mark Howe
7. Pat LaFontaine
8. Jeremy Roenick
9. Phil Housely
10. Doug Weight

I consider Brett Hull a Canadian. I would`ve loved to put Joel Otto on here, but couldn`t bump anyone off for him.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
reckoning said:
1. Chris Chelios
2. Mike Modano
3. Brian Leetch
4. Joe Mullen
5. Mike Richter
6. Mark Howe
7. Pat LaFontaine
8. Jeremy Roenick
9. Phil Housely
10. Doug Weight

I consider Brett Hull a Canadian. I would`ve loved to put Joel Otto on here, but couldn`t bump anyone off for him.

I forgot Howe was American - I always saw him as the son of Gordie Howe.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
reckoning said:
1. Chris Chelios
2. Mike Modano
3. Brian Leetch
4. Joe Mullen
5. Mike Richter
6. Mark Howe
7. Pat LaFontaine
8. Jeremy Roenick
9. Phil Housely
10. Doug Weight

Very good list, but Langway definitely belongs on there. I'd put him somewhere from 3-6. I'd also move Lafontaine up a spot or two.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I forgot Howe was American - I always saw him as the son of Gordie Howe.

I completely overlooked Langway; probably should`ve had him between #4 and #8.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Where's the Calder and two-time Vezina winning goalie who is also on the Stanley Cup twice?
:confused:
Or are we pulling an NHL2night, and being biased for the modern era?
(Then remove "of all time"!)

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Which American finished highest on the Pogopogologoponogopo points system?

Chilly Willy*

Pat Lafontaine and Joe Mullen, those are the 2 guys i think of when people ask me who do you think is the best american player. I can't pick one over the other, i was a fan of both players.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Frankie Brimsek, Neal Broten and John Vanbiesbrouck should be on the list.

1. Chris Chelios
2. Brian Leetch
T3. Jeremy Roenick
T3. Mike Modano
5. Pat Lafontaine

Joey Mullen is the most overated of all the Americans and shouldn't be in the top 10, he'd be borderline op 15.

** My top 5 doesn't consider Brett Hull.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As much of a Leetch homer as I am, I voted for Chris Chelios. Three time Norris Trophy winner, and was able to play it every way equally well. Great player, and one of the best defenseman of all-time.

* Brett Hull should be on this list. He's just as much an American as any of the guys listed.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rabid Ranger said:
* Brett Hull should be on this list. He's just as much an American as any of the guys listed.
Don Cherry is also an American citizen but he's not considered as such these days.

But I guess Hull's donning of the U.S. uniform to try and beat Canada qualifies him as non-Canadian.

But if we play the immigration game, Petr Nedved is a Canadian citizen and he represented Canada very well in 1994 being a key player in bringing home a medal (a fact often missed on many).

Chilly Willy*

No, Bret Hull was born in Canada, regardless of the fact that he played for Team USA (because team canada wouldn't take him on their team).

Let's just consider the American Born players as the Best American players of all time, that's like considering that idiot Petr Nedved as one of the best canadian players of all time (not like anyone would ever consider him best at anything).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VanIslander said:
Don Cherry is also an American citizen but he's not considered as such these days.

But I guess Hull's donning of the U.S. uniform to try and beat Canada qualifies him as non-Canadian.

But if we play the immigration game, Petr Nedved is a Canadian citizen and he represented Canada very well in 1994 being a key player in bringing home a medal (a fact often missed on many).

Whatever. Brett Hull's mother is an American, so he was a dual-citizen at birth. He played college hockey at Minnesota-Duluth, has played exclusively for the U.S. in international competition, and lives in the U.S. 100% of time. That's American to me. You can claim Nedved if you want. I wouldn't, but that's me. :p:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ChillyWilly said:
No, Bret Hull was born in Canada, regardless of the fact that he played for Team USA (because team canada wouldn't take him on their team).

Let's just consider the American Born players as the Best American players of all time, that's like considering that idiot Petr Nedved as one of the best canadian players of all time (not like anyone would ever consider him best at anything).

Then rename the poll, best American BORN player of all-time. This is freaking ridiculous. Get over it guys!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brian Leetch: a Stanley Cup, a Calder Trophy, a World Cup, an Olympic Silver Medal, a couple of Norris Trophies, multiple First and Second All-Star teams, a Conn Smythe Trophy winner, etc.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As much as I disliked the guy (mainly because he usually played for *the other* team), I would have to say Chris Chelios.

In his prime, he was without a doubt one of the top-2 defensemen in the league. Multiple Cups, multiple Norris and a spectacular 2-way career. Leetch was better offensively, Chelios made up for it defensively and by being a stand-out leader. Not that Leetch is a bad leader, he just doesn't come with Chelios clout. Example, after the Nagano disaster, Chelios acted like the perfect leader. He apoligized for the incident and pay for the damages himself, but didn't rat the guilty teammates letting them take responsibility for their own actions. I don't know how somebody could have dealt with that situation better. Lafontaine is a great player too, but he didn't have the success (in terms of awards) or longevity of Chelios.

Gotta be Chelios for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad