The best alternatives for NHL.com ??

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The "new" NHL.com sucks, everyone knows that. (Yes, it's actually already many years old, but it still sucks)

The "old" NHL.com (pre-2016) was much better. No "flat UI" desing, no stupid extra elements to slow the site down, way better links to game data/previews/rosters/previous team games

The current version of the NHL.com is probably the worst website I know. Last time I checked (yesterday) a single open tab of nhl.com live gamecenter of a single game took up over 1 GB of RAM.

I really need the info the old NHL.com had to offer in an instant, but all the old versions have now been shut down, so I'm asking for you guys to link the best alternatives for NHL.com. If a single website doesn't have all the ingredients, then link multiple ones.

The features I need would be:

-Past game results on a given day, with direct links to game summaries, TOI reports etc.

-a clear Schedule of the games of a given day

Preferably with direct links to data/info concerning every single game:

-Past game results of teams in the game with dates of the games (a list full season results)
-Last 10 game stats (wins/losses/ot) + streak
-Rosters (previews)
-Stats of players on each team in the game

The only even remotely satisfactory part of the current NHL.com is the stats-page. Everything else sucks, big time. It's almost impossible to get to the team season games lists / results from the game schedules. And even then the lists suck.

The old NHL.com had all these features in a very good, clear, compact format. Then they went and destroyed it all. Fortunately they left some versions of the old site working (french version), but now that one has been destroyed as well.

Here is an example of the old masterpiece. (The French version, I took screen shots only after they had already destroyed the US version.) The game results & future games of a given day were in a very clear array, with the most important info given straight up: the teams (with logos), starting times, team records+points, AND if you clicked the team X logo, a drop menu would appear with the Team X previous game results + dates, L10 games stats, streak, future games, and a direct link to a full list of season results / schedule:

4twf.jpg

As everyone can see, this was a much better website compared to the atrocity we currently have to deal with:

54gtr.jpg

The current version has absolutely zero links to past games etc. The link to "gamecenter" only takes you to a list of all possible players on the team that might or might not play in the game.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I've got an app called NHL Scores installed, it does what your first two points are perfectly. When you start it it says "scores, schedules, stats without the clutter" and that's exactly what it does. Lacks news and more specific stats like last 10 games though. There's also NFL and MLB versions, and I'd imagine one for the NBA as well.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I've got an app called NHL Scores installed, it does what your first two points are perfectly. When you start it it says "scores, schedules, stats without the clutter" and that's exactly what it does. Lacks news and more specific stats like last 10 games though. There's also NFL and MLB versions, and I'd imagine one for the NBA as well.

Using apps on a phone is bloody slow. Getting the info is about 9000x faster with a computer.

Sound good though. Is there a pc/website version, or should I just try to use bluestacks etc to get the app?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
A simple interface like Hockey Reference is all I need. Wish they tracked scores in real-time.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
My only issue with TheScore is sometimes they don't update actively on game scores and flood my phone with updates after the game is over. Not a big deal though.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
My only issue with TheScore is sometimes they don't update actively on game scores and flood my phone with updates after the game is over. Not a big deal though.
Should go through your phones/app settings and adjust it to the way you like. I get ZERO notifications on my phones setup which is perfect

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Honestly the NHL's mobile app is just fine. You can view the day's complete schedule, scores, goalscorers, and assists for every goal from every game all from the same window, plus highlights and recaps. The scores are updated as close to real time as I've seen. Standings and stats can be navigated to in two clicks. I haven't used the website in literal years because I hate it as much as you do but I don't have any complaints with the app.

Reactions: thedustman

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I wish Hockeydb had a good scores page I love how fast their site loads.
I like the stats The Score has on the individual game pages but I wish they'd put those stats on the main scoreboard page that shows all the games.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Natural Stat Trick AINEC. Ice-time, lines, opponents, trad stats, fancy stats, shot charts. They have drop-downs for live stats. The one thing they don't have is highlights, but besides that anything you can think of, and a bare-bones UI that's basically just like viewing Excel lol. TheScore is good too, but I mostly use their mobile app.

i2FrsT9.png

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My Google Chrome crashed several times while I was watching a live game stream the other day on my laptop. I suspect it's due to their silly live text and picture stream below that nobody watches when you're literally watching the actual game in the video box above. Never had any problems with other live streaming sites.

As for the site itself: There's a lot of dead space, huge blocks of white, spaced out text and spreadsheets. Information is unnecessarily spread out which forces you to scroll in all directions without a real reason other than "aesthetics" - especially painful on mobile. While the sub sites normally provide all the info you're looking for this is a real pain in the ass. I like the "new" stats page with all its filter options and historic data. But usability can still be improved.

Reactions: Atas2000

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
My Google Chrome crashed several times while I was watching a live game stream the other day on my laptop. I suspect it's due to their silly live text and picture stream below that nobody watches when you're literally watching the actual game in the video box above. Never had any problems with other live streaming sites.

As for the site itself: There's a lot of dead space, huge blocks of white, spaced out text and spreadsheets. Information is unnecessarily spread out which forces you to scroll in all directions without a real reason other than "aesthetics" - especially painful on mobile. While the sub sites normally provide all the info you're looking for this is a real pain in the ass. I like the "new" stats page with all its filter options and historic data. But usability can still be improved.

The most ridiculous thing is that the new NHL.com 'flat UI' with all that blank space was made for the "mobile user" :D

Even without video stream, the NHL.com live gamecenter pages really suck, they hog so bloody much RAM that they are completely unusable.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I can't watch videos on the site anymore. They just don't start after I click on them. Does anybody have the similar problem?

It was due to some corrupt old (host? cookie? I don't remember anymore) files on your computer, google it and it will probably get fixed

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I have now tried The Score .com for a while now

It is clearly not an optimal alternative for the old NHL.com

-the dates of games in schedules are wrong when the time of the game on timezone X is different than in US ET time (for example, it has shown that some teams have played 3 games in a row in stead of a back-to-back+1 game after 1 rest day)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad