The best "Alpha male" moments

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
We've forgotten the greatest Alpha-male moment of them all... Aurèle Joliat, aged 83, does one final skate around the Forum -- falling twice but getting back up, and then going for a little skate after the music ends...
At first he looks like he hadn't skated in decades and was like a beginner. But after getting himself up following the second fall, his skating got better and better.

I bet if he had taken the morning skate, like NHLers do on the night of games, he would not have fallen down at all.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
At first he looks like he hadn't skated in decades and was like a beginner. But after getting himself up following the second fall, his skating got better and better.

I bet if he had taken the morning skate, like NHLers do on the night of games, he would not have fallen down at all.
It was 1985, so he might have had a chance of cracking the Maple Leafs' line-up.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
A real man can cry.

Messier.
Agassi.
Favre.
Cronkite.
Letterman.

I have seen them all cry in my lifetime.

Lincoln, famously had, more than once.

Great men do.
****heads don't.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Marchand is being brought up a lot for the Sedin thing. I would say it wasn't particularly "alpha" because Sedin is not a physical player. But what I think the Canucks did is that it reflected so poorly on them that it almost made Marchand's thing look "alpha". So it is more of a bad reflection on the Canucks than a good one on Marchand. Didn't help the Canucks case that Marchand scored twice in Game 7 either.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Marchand is being brought up a lot for the Sedin thing. I would say it wasn't particularly "alpha" because Sedin is not a physical player. But what I think the Canucks did is that it reflected so poorly on them that it almost made Marchand's thing look "alpha". So it is more of a bad reflection on the Canucks than a good one on Marchand. Didn't help the Canucks case that Marchand scored twice in Game 7 either.

When I watch that sequence I just feel awkward. I don't know if I'm supposed to pity Marchand or Sedin.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yes, out of that series, this one applies for sure.

Sedin for sure. His teammates practically shook Marchand's hand afterwards. They did nothing as their captain was being embarrassed.

But at the same time, I look down at Marchand. "Really, that's your idea of being an alpha male? Shoving and facewashing a docile freaking Sedin???"

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
As a Canucks fan I hated the Marchand / Sedin incident. I don't necessarily think it made Marchand look "alpha" but it sure made the Canucks look weak. Too bad Gino wasn't around...

Last edited:

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Maybe not a classic Alpha Male moment but I thought Brendan Gallagher skating back to the bench after receiving a Shea Weber PP slapper on his hand ( same hand wich was previously hurt year before by another slapshot) was an under rated one. The fact it allowed the habs to score later on the same sequence is also a nice bonus.

But it’s one of those things where it’s part of the game,” Gallagher added. “Like I said last time, it can’t stop me from playing the way I need to play to be successful. It’s unfortunate that this has happened two years in a row.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->