The best "Alpha male" moments

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The Sedin-thing isn't so much an Alpha-male moment as it's a wimp moment. To be clear, I don't blame Sedin for not responding to Marchand -- you don't really want your team's MVP sitting for 5 in the box in game seven of the Finals -- but how the heck did no Canuck on the ice (at least one of the three who weren't Sedin twins) not go after Marchand immediately? You can't allow that to happen to your best guy in that situation. The Bruins knew they could get away with that kind of thing at a critical moment... which is why the Canucks lost.

1. It was game 6
2. There was only 1:31 to go in the game
3. It was 5-2

Zero reason for Sedin to not respond.

He doesn't even need to punch Marchand there, for Christ's sake at least shove the guy instead of looking at the refs saying "make the mean man stop"

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
1. It was game 6
2. There was only 1:31 to go in the game
3. It was 5-2

Zero reason for Sedin to not respond.

He doesn't even need to punch Marchand there, for Christ's sake at least shove the guy instead of looking at the refs saying "make the mean man stop"
Fair point, I had remembered it being earlier in the game (doesn't really matter game one or game seven, but anyway...).

You're right, though. Either Sedin should have done something, or a teammate needed to.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure what joke that would be but no.

Just find it:

That Réjean Houle saying that Serge said before a big game versus the Flyers that Savard got up in the locker room and said: Guys we will beat the flyers tonight and don't worry about Schultz I am taking care of him.

If I'd have seen this before, Serge Savard would have made my top 120 list.

Clearly, he was a better fighter than Robinson.

Maybe all those times Robinson stepped into scrums to calm things down he was saying, "cool it guys or I'll send Savard after ya".

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's not exactly what the OP is looking for, but this was definitely an "alpha male" move:

Souray essentially tells Ethan Moreau to "hold my beer", and proceeds to absolutely pummel Weller. :laugh:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here's a question for you (because I'm not old enough to have seen the Habs back then): What if Wensink had face-washed Lafleur, or roughed him up a little bit in the corner, akin to Marchand on Sedin in 2011? What would be the correct response by Lafleur/Montreal in such a situation?

The Habs weren't wimps back then. Maybe not the overall toughness of the Bruins or the Broad Street Bullies in those days but there is the reason the Flyers' intimidation didn't work on the Habs in 1976. If someone did that to Lafleur like Marchand did to Sedin there would be a fight. Robinson is on the ice perhaps, or Savard or even Lapointe. None would let that happen. Pierre Bouchard even would have dropped the gloves. I also don't think Lafleur sits there and takes it on the chin repeatedly either without even so much as blocking it. Even Gretzky I would guess at least gets his hand in there or even going down on the ice and diving is more dignity than just standing there.

Yeah, the dynasty Habs don't let that happen to their star player. No great team that is actually a TEAM would.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did we go 80 posts without mentioning - including me - the Pete Mahovlich incident in 1972 during the Canada/Russia series where he skates across the ice and uses his stick against armed Soviet guards to help get Eagleson released? That was just pure badassery. That takes guts.

In 1972, I also think Rod Gilbert getting in that fight against the Soviet player in the 3rd period of Game 8 was pretty alpha. Canada is still down 5-4 at the moment and the Soviet player is bloodied. Gilbert never fought, which makes it all that much better.

Mario going after Steve Konowalchuk in the 2004 World Cup. Didn't do a whole lot to him other than just rough him up. But fans love when a skill player does an enforcer role.

How about was it Terry O'Reilly who was the first one in the stands to retrieve Stan Jonathan's stick? How alpha is that when a fan has a weapon in his hands and STILL runs away from you. You could literally see the time when the fan froze to death realizing what was happening.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
In his second season, Lindros gathered the puck from behind his own net and began rushing up ice. As he was about to exit his own zone, Lindros was high sticked by a Detroit player in the face and Lindros immediately began bleeding. Rather than going down or being slowed up, Lindros skated through the high stick, blood dripping on his jersey, continuing his rush and fired a laser past Tim Cheveldae.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Mario going after Steve Konowalchuk in the 2004 World Cup. Didn't do a whole lot to him other than just rough him up. But fans love when a skill player does an enforcer role.

I saw this one again recently. Good on Lemieux, but smart of Iginla as well. Niedermayer fought as well. I suspect that Canada's mustard jerseys we so ugly that they had everyone on edge.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I always liked this moment.

source.gif

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
MIKE BOSSY OWNED SMITH & POTVIN

Young Bossy at Isles training camp was told by coach Arbour during powerplay practice that the plan is to get the puck to Denis Potvin, the dman at the point, for a good shot on net.

Bossy receives a pass but instead of giving to Potvin he shoots on Billy Smith and scores. There are laughs. Okay, okay, that was unexpected.

Again he receives a pass, and again shoots, and scores! Smith bangs his stick to the ice and glares.

The coach repeats the plan and when Bossy gets the puck, again he shoots and scores!

At that point the coach said: the plan is... get the puck to Bossy! And that's how the Isles great pp was born.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can't remember who it was who said this, but it was someone who worked for the Hockey Hall of Fame. He said that when he sees old-timers from time to time he calls them by name, but when they would see Jean Beliveau it was always "Mr. Beliveau."

The same sort of thing was applied with Jean Ratelle in Boston. He was an older player by then but they all called him "Mr. Ratelle". Even Don Cherry says that he called him that.

I don't know if that is "alpha" so much as just respect, but here is another one.

Bobby Orr as a rookie walks into his hotel room and sees veteran Johnny Bucyk lying down. He says to him "Hello Mr. Bucyk." Johnny replied: "You don't call me Mr. Bucyk, you call me John or Chief."

Mark Messier will be the first to admit he is an emotional man. Whether it is a Stanley Cup being won or a jersey retirement the man has no shame in publicly crying. I always thought it was a lot like seeing John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Chuck Norris or someone like that cry. You don't say a word about it, because they've earned it. I guess that has some "alpha" to it. When you are tough enough that you know no one will make fun of you crying.

Anyways, those are some off the ice moments I can think about.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There was a documentary, Forever Rivals, a number of years ago about the Habs and Leafs. It reminisces about the closing of the Forum which had just happened at that time. They show a clip of Maurice Richard being introduced, that long 8 minute ovation that never ended. Richard is the most intense player there ever was perhaps but this just showed a lot of respect to the man. Is it possible that he seems even tougher when he wipes away a tear? Now that is pretty "alpha" isn't it? At least off the ice. Start at 1:30:00.

Reactions: cole von cole

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I can't remember who it was who said this, but it was someone who worked for the Hockey Hall of Fame. He said that when he sees old-timers from time to time he calls them by name, but when they would see Jean Beliveau it was always "Mr. Beliveau."

The same sort of thing was applied with Jean Ratelle in Boston. He was an older player by then but they all called him "Mr. Ratelle". Even Don Cherry says that he called him that.

I don't know if that is "alpha" so much as just respect, but here is another one.

Bobby Orr as a rookie walks into his hotel room and sees veteran Johnny Bucyk lying down. He says to him "Hello Mr. Bucyk." Johnny replied: "You don't call me Mr. Bucyk, you call me John or Chief."

Mark Messier will be the first to admit he is an emotional man. Whether it is a Stanley Cup being won or a jersey retirement the man has no shame in publicly crying. I always thought it was a lot like seeing John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Chuck Norris or someone like that cry. You don't say a word about it, because they've earned it. I guess that has some "alpha" to it. When you are tough enough that you know no one will make fun of you crying.

Anyways, those are some off the ice moments I can think about.

Did John Wayne ever cry?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->