The best active Europe-based player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I only know Russia and here is my top 15 (Malkin upset me at WJC, but if you consider potential as a quality of a player he takes the cake):

1. Malkin
2. Sushinsky
3. Morozov
4. Korolyuk
5. Zvinovjev
6. Taratukhin
7. Kharitonov
8. Mozyakin
9. Grigorenko
10. Kaigorodov
11. Antipov
12. Chistov
13. Kurdometov
14. But
15. Semin

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Den said:
This is here because I am very sceptical of Malkin's claim. My vote went to Su-33

N. Bäckström is probably the finnish goalie and not the swedish rookie? Just to clarify things.

I voted for Ville Peltonen, but could have voted Malkin as well.

I have seen Sushinsky on EHT and now in ECC, I don't quite get it why people rank him over Malkin or even close, but naturally you have the right to think so :)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Oh yeah and Kai Nurminen does not belong in that list at all. Tony Salmelainen how ever could be mentioned. Nurminen is getting old, and has had a bad year this year. Salmelainen is probably the fastest player in europe and leads the finnish league in points, and he is young. Huge difference in those two, even though I am not much of a Salmelainen fan either.

Jere Karalahti should be on the list.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
psycho_dad said:
Oh yeah and Kai Nurminen does not belong in that list at all. Tony Salmelainen how ever could be mentioned. Nurminen is getting old, and has had a bad year this year. Salmelainen is probably the fastest player in europe and leads the finnish league in points, and he is young. Huge difference in those two, even though I am not much of a Salmelainen fan either.

Jere Karalahti should be on the list.

It's up to you to come up with whatever you want. A poll can ot be made longer than 15 entries unfortunately. I spesifically listed older players, and those that I know and have seen - to me a good player is a proven player..

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Den said:
It's up to you to come up with whatever you want. A poll can ot be made longer than 15 entries unfortunately. I spesifically listed older players - to me a good player is a proven player..

Yeah it's quite alright, all I am saying is Kai Nurminen is not on that level anymore. I could easily name 15 better players from finnish league alone, even more. Yes, older players are proven players, but some of them are already over the hill. And in my opinion Nurminen was never good enough for that list anyway. He was a great goal scorer because of his great wrister, but he never made team finland in world championships, mostly because he is a bit on the soft side.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
An Ape called Yoko said:
Where is Andreas Karlsson, Jonas Johnsson or Niklas Andersson?

They are definately up there.

They are definitly better than Bäckström and Kahnberg anyway. But I'll say that Kenny Jönsson is the best player currently in Sweden even if he's not playing in the SEL.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Riddarn said:
They are definitly better than Bäckström and Kahnberg anyway. But I'll say that Kenny Jönsson is the best player currently in Sweden even if he's not playing in the SEL.

I had to put at least one goalie... And being under the impression of ECC...What is Jonsson doing in the second division?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Den said:
I had to put at least one goalie... And being under the impression of ECC...What is Jonsson doing in the second division?

I think they meant these players are better than the swedish rookie forward N. Bäckström, not the finnish goalie. Because they are not better than him, but better than the rookie.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Den said:

Uh. Sorry. I thought you meant the other Bäckström. Jönsson is playing for his home town club.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
psycho_dad said:
And in my opinion Nurminen was never good enough for that list anyway. He was a great goal scorer because of his great wrister, but he never made team finland in world championships, mostly because he is a bit on the soft side.

Kai Nurminen did participate in three international tournaments:

World Champ. 1996.........6.4+2=6
World Cup 1996..............2.0+1=1
World Champ. 1997.........6.3+0=3

He actually did quite well...but on the other hand, Finland failed to win anything whenever he was around. And I deifinitely agree that he shouldn't be mentioned in this type of thread anymore.

Edit: Petteri Nummelin on the other hand might still be a worthy candidate.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
My vote went for Metropolit, but I think Malking is the best.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Sampe said:
Kai Nurminen did participate in three international tournaments:

World Champ. 1996.........6.4+2=6
World Cup 1996..............2.0+1=1
World Champ. 1997.........6.3+0=3

He actually did quite well...but on the other hand, Finland failed to win anything whenever he was around. And I deifinitely agree that he shouldn't be mentioned in this type of thread anymore.

Edit: Petteri Nummelin on the other hand might still be a worthy candidate.

Oh yeah my bad, I just remember when Nurminen was not selected after winning the goal scoring title of finnish league, and has not been selected ever since.

And yes, Nummelin deserves a mention for sure. Best offensive defenseman in europe, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->