The Belmont Arena: Shovels and Lawsuits, a Long Island Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Check out the arena cam right now...

It's zoomed in on a dumpster and port-a-potty.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wait a minute....The Wilpons didn't pay.

Funny little facts:

I'm reading the Sandy Koufax bio by Jane Leavy and Wilpon and Koufax were good buddies growing up in Brooklyn. Koufax's next door neighbor in Brooklyn was Buddy Hackett.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
For those of you wondering how an upscale retail village could possibly work in a time when retail is said to be failing, this article gives you an idea of the demographic that Scott Malkin envisions coming to Belmont Park.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/28/empire-outlets-mall-boosts-staten-island-tourism/

Same thing down here in South Florida. Huge numbers of upper middle class and wealthy Central and South American families fly in to Fort Lauderdale and head out to Sawgrass Mills to load up. They come for the long weekend and shuttle back and forth from the beach hotels. It's also a relatively short drive from Miami Airport via I-75/Dolphin Expressway. Sawgrass gets heavy traffic.

Reactions: MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Usually fabrication means making things up. What does it mean in terms of this arena?

"The action or process of manufacturing or inventing something."

The difference between the raw material and the finished product, which is always made to order . . . my CIRM certification is still showing, too bad I don't use it anymore. I had more fun consulting in the manufacturing world than as an investment manager these days . . .

Reactions: Poster Unknown

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Same thing down here in South Florida. Huge numbers of upper middle class and wealthy Central and South American families fly in to Fort Lauderdale and head out to Sawgrass Mills to load up. They come for the long weekend and shuttle back and forth from the beach hotels. It's also a relatively short drive from Miami Airport via I-75/Dolphin Expressway. Sawgrass gets heavy traffic.
Absolutely. Go to Sawgrass Mills and notice how many people are wheeling around multiple suitcases loaded up with clothes and consumer goods after they check out, all going back to family in Colombia, Brazil, Venezuela, etc. The foreign shopper is the demographic Scott Malkin is going after.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Decided to check the cam to see what the weather is like up there...there is one determined excavator still going at it in that slop. Get after it, bud!

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Decided to check the cam to see what the weather is like up there...there is one determined excavator still going at it in that slop. Get after it, bud!
Earlier today they were bringing rebar in to the hole nearest the camera. Raining out at the time. One guy walked across the bars laid out from grade to top of form work and then stood on the form work for a bit. I’m no OSHA inspector, but pretty sure that’s a nono!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->