The Belmont Arena: Shovels and Lawsuits, a Long Island Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
yep. especially these days. You don’t have to be a big market or be biggest team in a big city. Look at knicks. Durant and Irving chose nets and that’s bc of one person.... awful owner.

with how easy communication is these days - any crappy owner is known by just about everyone.

But unfortunately...Not much any fan can do about it.

That said, the one thing fans can do is not spend ANY money on a team run by an inept owner. Any person who has Jets, Bengals, or Redskins season tickets should have their driver's license taken away.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Wait a minute....The Wilpons didn't pay.

Ya that doesn't make sense. The media never writes articles with hidden agendas to slander. That wilpon not paying article with those 3, 100% reliable unnamed sources is above par accepted as universal truth.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ya that doesn't make sense. The media never writes articles with hidden agendas to slander. That wilpon not paying article with those 3, 100% reliable unnamed sources is above par accepted as universal truth.

What in the world are you talking about? I was kidding with my post.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Bottom line -- ignore all of those articles, etc., from those with a bias -- even if that bias is just writing stuff to generate clicks. Project is racing ahead at full speed -- plus Cuomo just got that natural gas moratorium lifted (and collected a $36M fine for the state as a cherry on top). No more whining about propane "bombs" from opponents.

Reactions: periferal

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Bottom line -- ignore all of those articles, etc., from those with a bias -- even if that bias is just writing stuff to generate clicks. Project is racing ahead at full speed -- plus Cuomo just got that natural gas moratorium lifted (and collected a $36M fine for the state as a cherry on top). No more whining about propane "bombs" from opponents.

That's good news. I never thought I'd ever support anything Mayor Cuomo does, but he has been great on helping push belmont.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Love it, but can Cuomo now sort out Westchester???

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For those of you wondering how an upscale retail village could possibly work in a time when retail is said to be failing, this article gives you an idea of the demographic that Scott Malkin envisions coming to Belmont Park.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/28/empire-outlets-mall-boosts-staten-island-tourism/

Staten Island, long mocked as home to the world’s largest landfill, has suddenly become an international tourist destination, The Post has learned.
Since the Empire Outlets mall opened in May, hundreds of thousands of visitors from France, Germany, Denmark, Australia, Brazil and other countries have left the St. George Ferry Terminal and walked next door to scoop up bargains at Nike Factory, Levi’s and Nordstrom Rack, among 27 other retailers.
Overseas visitors now make up the bulk — or 65% — of all Empire Outlets spending, according to the city’s tourism bureau NYC & Co., which examined Visa credit card data. That’s helped push international spending on the island up by 47%, while total apparel spending has grown by 158%, NYC & Co.’s credit card data shows.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
So all Belmont needs is a ferry terminal next door. Got it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
For those of you wondering how an upscale retail village could possibly work in a time when retail is said to be failing, this article gives you an idea of the demographic that Scott Malkin envisions coming to Belmont Park.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/28/empire-outlets-mall-boosts-staten-island-tourism/

From article:

Staten Island, long mocked as home to the world’s largest landfill, has suddenly become an international tourist destination, The Post has learned.

“Staten Island is one of the most visited boroughs, but the average stay is about five minutes,” said Travis Noyes, senior vice president of sales and marketing for the six-month-old outdoor shopping center, which has dramatic views of lower Manhattan.

The article amuses me more than gives me confidence about successful shops there. But what do I know about retail?

<other than I never want to do it again>

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
From article:

“Staten Island is one of the most visited boroughs, but the average stay is about five minutes,”

It's definitely in the top five visited boroughs!

All kidding aside, I went to college on Staten Island (when the dump was still there) and miss that place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad