The Belmont Arena: Shovels and Lawsuits, a Long Island Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
O

Of course the bulldozer is moving slowly......its operated by a union-man. And if you expect any efficiency or speed from a union-man, you are one silly goose.

Perhaps he wants to rack in more pay if he is an hourly worker. Public Player

Erected concrete structures are visible on the left, with block concretes on the ground in the middle and right.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Of course he does......do just barely enough to keep your job and then bleed them dry with overtime. That's been the union way since day one.
I'm happy to see the progress. I was worried that the lawsuits would slow things down, but it looks like things are still moving ahead full speed. It's going to be exciting to see this thing come together while getting another "farewell" season at the Coliseum in either 2020 or 2021 to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Tune in right now to see one bulldozer moving really slow...

Public Player

*Also the traffic on the Cross Island is moving fairly well
Has anyone driven by recently to confirm this is legit? I'm a little worried it might be some construction simulation software kinda like that plane thing in the other thread....

Reactions: Bones45

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Has anyone driven by recently to confirm this is legit? I'm a little worried it might be some construction simulation software kinda like that plane thing in the other thread....
I was there Friday. The fences are all covered up, but the mounds of dirt are getting bigger and there was heavy machinery noises coming from the site. Probably recordings and someone Keeps rearranging the dirt piles.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I was there Friday. The fences are all covered up, but the mounds of dirt are getting bigger and there was heavy machinery noises coming from the site. Probably recordings and someone Keeps rearranging the dirt piles.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Costigan77

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
DOLAN'S earth cam! Fake news!
NWT1O7N.png

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I still can’t believe this is happening. I know it’s the 30 years of abuse speaking, but I haven’t been able to fully allow myself to enjoy it. My mind is waiting for some crazy thing to happen to prevent it from being finished. I probably won’t feel safe about this project until opening day. Does anyone else secretly feel that way?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I still can’t believe this is happening. I know it’s the 30 years of abuse speaking, but I haven’t been able to fully allow myself to enjoy it. My mind is waiting for some crazy thing to happen to prevent it from being finished. I probably won’t feel safe about this project until opening day. Does anyone else secretly feel that way?
We're Isles fans, so I think we probably all feel that way at least a little bit. That's why checking the construction cam is helpful. For example, FP's litigation budget is $50,000. I'm guessing each day they hit that expenditure at the construction site long before lunchtime....

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
New York Islanders: Belmont Arena Lawsuit Could Have Legs

by Michel Anderson

After the second lawsuit was field I asked Ashira Ostrow, Professor of Real Estate and Land Use Law at Hofstra University if it had any legs. The only thing that was known at that point was the lawsuit was filed by Elmont civic leaders and was arguing that Belmont was a parkland that had served as a disaster evacuation site.

But, after speaking with Professor Ostrow, that might not necessarily be the crux of the group’s argument. The group is claiming that the land can’t just be sold without the consent of the State Legislature based on Public Trust Doctrine.

New York State Franchise Oversight cannot usurp the Elective Official Authority to transfer or lease public park/state land without a legislative act. -Halop et al v. Empire State Development Corp. et al. pg.13...

So why does that argument have legs? Well, it’s been used before, quite recently and it won. The same argument was used against the construction of a mall at Willets Point and it won...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->