The Belmont Arena: Shovels and Lawsuits, a Long Island Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Time to celebrate and wish lots of success going forward for this franchise. Any of you will be there for the shovel ceremony. If you do, please take some pictures.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It will take that long to finish clearing out the last 40% of the junkyards.

If "junkyards" is slang for politicians then 100% correct.

Time to celebrate and wish lots of success going forward for this franchise. Any of you will be there for the shovel ceremony. If you do, please take some pictures.

Find a way for me to be allowed at the ceremony and I'll go.

I was standing in a Banana Republic listing to the FOB meeting on my iPhone.

If you think I didn't almost start crying as they all voted yes then you'd be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
"New York Racing Association board member Michael Dubb first proposed the idea to the Islanders’ former majority owner Charles Wang but would not put up $1+ billion to do the deal and the team wound up at Barclays Center in Brooklyn."

Wang could NOT get this done.

"Islanders’ games for the 2021-2022 season will be played at a state-of-the-art arena at Belmont Park. It will mark the first time since the team’s inception (1972-73) that it will play in a first class facility.

The arena is the first priority of NYAP. The ancillary components of the project will come later.

NYAP is committed to make the hockey deadline by working 24/7/365, including union overtime.

The project includes a 19,000-seat arena, a 250-room hotel, a 350,000 square foot retail village, a food, beverage and entertainment concourse, and more. Updates on Thursday."

Working 24/7/365...? That is ambitious. Respect it, but ambitious.

https://www.horseraceinsider.com/islanders-arena-at-belmont-a-done-deal/

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know what the FOB is, but is this a sure thing? I just want to make sure this isn't an "MDC is going to score 40 goals this season" thread. I mean, is this actually the final step and now the rest is just obligatory paperwork?

Reactions: bigtim1988

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
"New York Racing Association board member Michael Dubb first proposed the idea to the Islanders’ former majority owner Charles Wang but would not put up $1+ billion to do the deal and the team wound up at Barclays Center in Brooklyn."

Wang could NOT get this done.

"Islanders’ games for the 2021-2022 season will be played at a state-of-the-art arena at Belmont Park. It will mark the first time since the team’s inception (1972-73) that it will play in a first class facility.

The arena is the first priority of NYAP. The ancillary components of the project will come later.

NYAP is committed to make the hockey deadline by working 24/7/365, including union overtime.

The project includes a 19,000-seat arena, a 250-room hotel, a 350,000 square foot retail village, a food, beverage and entertainment concourse, and more. Updates on Thursday."

Working 24/7/365...? That is ambitious. Respect it, but ambitious.

https://www.horseraceinsider.com/islanders-arena-at-belmont-a-done-deal/

Oddly that link isn't working for me....

was able to find it here ISLANDERS ARENA AT BELMONT ‘A DONE DEAL’ – Horse Race Insider

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
How ya doin on this fine Wednesday fellas???

Reporting for duty.
giphy.gif

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
19,000 is a huge arena, can't wait. Team is finally, FINALLY going to be a legitimate franchise with legitimate owners in a legitimate arena with the best damn coach in hockey to guide us into this. LGI.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Interesting that the final approval is 19k seats, wasn’t it originally pitched at around 23k? Where are we going to find these fans?

Look under the race track seats, they are searching for loose change . . .

Seriously, a winning team fills an arena. Even down here in Panther territory, when they are in playoff contention they do pretty well.

I don't ever remember 23,000. Building that indoors is a tough design for the typical arena configuration. I'm not in construction but I would assume that going from 19,000 to 23,000 on cost is more geometric, not linear.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
19,000 is a huge arena, can't wait. Team is finally, FINALLY going to be a legitimate franchise with legitimate owners in a legitimate arena with the best damn coach in hockey to guide us into this. LGI.
Lets just hope over the next year or two we can actually acquire some elite talent to attract fans otherwise imagine how embarrassing it will be with this fanbase when that beautiful brand new 19,000 seat arena has 9,000-11,000 people there on an average weeknight.

Reactions: bigtim1988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad