UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I have seen the future, and it is in the past.

399512_284081594984400_559348961_n.jpg

397925_284081784984381_685493998_n.jpg
The Long Island Arena was an epic barn. From Frampton Comes Alive to Slapshot, to the Flea Market it holds some of Long Islands best history

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Longtime partnerships enabled Isles to finally get a new arena

'By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated September 3, 2020 5:31 PM (EDT)

The talk of the team needing a new arena goes all the way back to its dynasty days, when the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980-83. It was a topic that would cloud the franchise's future for decades.

“It’s been 30-plus years that good, smart people have been trying to build an arena,” Oak View Group chief executive officer Tim Leiweke said, “all without success.”

Despite a delay in construction because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the UBS Arena at Belmont Park is on target to open in time for the 2021-22 season.

Leiweke and Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky, speaking at a group interview during the Islanders’ playoff game on Tuesday night, believe they succeeded where so many other Islanders projects failed because of the partnership of sports executives they formed years ago.

The arena group consists of the Islanders' owners and childhood friends Scott Malkin and Ledecky, Leiweke’s arena development company and Jeff Wilpon, the longtime Mets chief operating officer who oversaw the construction of Citi Field...'

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The Long Island Arena was an epic barn. From Frampton Comes Alive to Slapshot, to the Flea Market it holds some of Long Islands best history

I heard just the other day that part of Frampton Comes aAive was recorded in Plattsburgh NY. I would have bet against that, heavily.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Longtime partnerships enabled Isles to finally get a new arena

'By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated September 3, 2020 5:31 PM (EDT)

The talk of the team needing a new arena goes all the way back to its dynasty days, when the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980-83. It was a topic that would cloud the franchise's future for decades.

“It’s been 30-plus years that good, smart people have been trying to build an arena,” Oak View Group chief executive officer Tim Leiweke said, “all without success.”

Despite a delay in construction because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the UBS Arena at Belmont Park is on target to open in time for the 2021-22 season.

Leiweke and Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky, speaking at a group interview during the Islanders’ playoff game on Tuesday night, believe they succeeded where so many other Islanders projects failed because of the partnership of sports executives they formed years ago.

The arena group consists of the Islanders' owners and childhood friends Scott Malkin and Ledecky, Leiweke’s arena development company and Jeff Wilpon, the longtime Mets chief operating officer who oversaw the construction of Citi Field...'
I drove past the arena yesterday afternoon and it looks like they are still progressing along at a nice clip. The roof trusses look like they are almost all done. Exterior walls should be going up soon. It looks like the construction is still ahead of schedule.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
From what I remember Isles were fighting with Nassau County on staying in the Coliseum in the late 90s and early 2000s, before late Charles Wang ultimately didn't want to play with Nassau County politicians.

Yeah it was a long fight - I was making a joke only about the "good, smart" people part.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Looks like Oak View Group is trying to get rid of the Coliseum once and for all and turn it into a music venue only. It's amazing how badly Nassau County messed this up.

Coliseum would become music venue under new partnership

The owners of the Islanders are partnering with Oak View Group on its proposal to downsize the Nassau Coliseum into a music theater once the Islanders move to UBS Arena at Belmont Park next year, Oak View Group Chief Execuve Officer Tim Leiweke said...

Leiweke has said he was encouraged by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo to be “part of the soluon” at the Coliseum and has in turn pitched the county, Mastroianni and Rechler on turning the facility into a music-focused venue with about half its current capacity.

“Our concept is, what if we create one of the best and busiest music theaters in all of the country?” Leiweke said. “It is the hole in the marketplace on Long Island and we see it could become a complement to Radio City Music Hall.”

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Looks like Oak View Group is trying to get rid of the Coliseum once and for all and turn it into a music venue only. It's amazing how badly Nassau County messed this up.

It's also amazing that they spent so much money to renovate a non-viable arena. 14,500 seats is not enough for major sports or concerts, but too much for grade B stuff. I think it was all a misguided attempt to keep the Isles there.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's also amazing that they spent so much money to renovate a non-viable arena. 14,500 seats is not enough for major sports or concerts, but too much for grade B stuff. I think it was all a misguided attempt to keep the Isles there.
The land the Coliseum sits on is more valuable than any renovation to the Coliseum could offer. At this point there will be a first class venue 15 minutes west of the Coliseum. Does Nassau County need a 7,000 seat music venue that probably won't ever generate enough revenue to warrant the downsizing? Repurpose the property already!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The land the Coliseum sits on is more valuable than any renovation to the Coliseum could offer. At this point there will be a first class venue 15 minutes west of the Coliseum. Does Nassau County need a 7,000 seat music venue that probably won't ever generate enough revenue to warrant the downsizing? Repurpose the property already!

I'm surprised that Northwell hasn't gotten their hands on it yet.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Well at least we'll have a nicer place for the last season

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Either them or NYU Langone. Isn't the cancer care/research facility in the parking lot an NYU/Langone affiliate?
I don't remember, but it's definitely possible (and your guess is definitely better than mine). I just recall Northwell eating up everything it can get its hands on and that seems like a prime location for some sort of medical facility.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't remember, but it's definitely possible (and your guess is definitely better than mine). I just recall Northwell eating up everything it can get its hands on and that seems like a prime location for some sort of medical facility.
I always thought a collaboration with Hofstra University could be another good use of the Coliseum land.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Either them or NYU Langone. Isn't the cancer care/research facility in the parking lot an NYU/Langone affiliate?
I believe it’s Sloan Kettering. They used to have their Nassau location at Mercy Medical center. I think they are now occupying the space in the coliseum parking lot.

Reactions: MJF

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Interesting aside in that reporting - AES, the management company for the Coliseum since 2017, merged with SMG - once again bringing that farce of a company into Nassau Coliseum management.

Oak View operating both the Coliseum and Belmont would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad