UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Agree, that Malkin and Co. are critical on the corporate front. On the Wang front, there was never any desire to do anything other than own the team, build an arena (that's a big something of course), and be seen as the savior to the franchise. The last part was his true end game. He's known as the Islanders owner, not the founder of a company involved in an alleged massive accounting fraud that he directly benefited from.
And threw Sanjay under the bus.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The Islanders should be the first performance/game. Billy Joel never did anything for the Lighthouse Project which led to more years of neglect after the referendum. Maybe he can drive drunk into a corner of the arena only to reveal Sparky waving an Islanders flag on opening night.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I like it and I'm glad it doesn't look like a bloated spaceship that landed in a parking lot. The design is a time tested formula that works.

I've been to the Prudential Center, Honda Center, American Airlines Center (Dallas), whatever it's named in Ft. Lauderdale, and United Center. This looks like a very personal arena with a very low ceiling compared to recent builds. Thankfully it resembles the SAP Center in San Jose with 30 years of improvements. A low ceiling with giant public spaces outside the bowl.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I've been to the Prudential Center, Honda Center, American Airlines Center (Dallas), whatever it's named in Ft. Lauderdale, and United Center. This looks like a very personal arena with a very low ceiling compared to recent builds. Thankfully it resembles the SAP Center in San Jose with 30 years of improvements. A low ceiling with giant public spaces outside the bowl.
The SAP is incredibly underrated as a venue. It’s like an updated Commack Arena. The rest are cavernous, except Honda which lives up to its sponsor’s rep.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
The Islanders should be the first performance/game. Billy Joel never did anything for the Lighthouse Project which led to more years of neglect after the referendum. Maybe he can drive drunk into a corner of the arena only to reveal Sparky waving an Islanders flag on opening night.
That would be great for the 3 people who miss Barclays, they'll be more comfortable if Billy Joel brings back Honky by force.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The SAP is incredibly underrated as a venue. It’s like an updated Commack Arena. The rest are cavernous, except Honda which lives up to its sponsor’s rep.

I loved going to the SAP Center (at that time HP Pavilion). It's very underrated by modern standards. It has a low ceiling and a Nassau vibe. There were very few people who had to take an escalator upstairs. They instead had stairs upstairs and down from a giant concourse.

I don't understand why San Jose gets a bad grade by writers. It's not some mammoth like a American Airlines Arena, the United Center, or even like whatever Buffalo's new arena is named. It's compact and small. It's perfect.

Reactions: Throttle

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They have almost finished the lower bowl - The progress continues to amaze me.
I wonder how far they get by by the end of march? Seats? Ice? Exterior complete by April?

Public Player

Reactions: periferal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
As soon as I saw this I knew NYIFC would be in the replies with something irrelevant and nonsensical to add.

I can’t believe that guy is still frothing at the mouth over Barclays Center when UBS is almost done.

While I can't completely reject his complaints about Isles poor attendance at Nassau Coliseum, where visitor fans often raided before the COVID-19 pandemic, NYIFC's obsession with Barclays even is still out of this world.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
While I can't completely reject his complaints about Isles poor attendance at Nassau Coliseum, where visitor fans often raided before the COVID-19 pandemic, NYIFC's obsession with Barclays even is still out of this world.

He's really just got to give it up. Brooklyn is done. This is him by now:

"Hiroo Onoda remained in the jungle on Lubang Island near Luzon, in the Philippines, until 1974 because he did not believe that the war had ended.
He was finally persuaded to emerge after his ageing former commanding officer was flown in to see him.
Correspondents say he was greeted as a hero on his return to Japan.
As WW2 neared its end, Mr Onoda, then a lieutenant, became cut off on Lubang as US troops came north.
The young soldier had orders not to surrender - a command he obeyed for nearly three decades.
"Every Japanese soldier was prepared for death, but as an intelligence officer I was ordered to conduct guerrilla warfare and not to die," he told ABC in an interview in 2010."

Japan WW2 soldier who refused to surrender Hiroo Onoda dies

I mean, if he's being honest, he'd also acknowledge there were many loud opposing fans numerous times at Barclays. That's not a Coliseum-exclusive problem, although it obviously occurred there plenty of times.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I suppose you can burn your money as you want.

There are going to be hoards of Islanders fans with gasoline engines parking in those spaces. Who's going to ticket them? What is the jurisdiction for parking? Are the Islanders going to tow season ticket holders with a gasoline engine?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
State officials OK changes to Belmont plan

'Posted February 23, 2021

By Melissa Koenig
New York State development officials approved a series of modifications to the nearly $1.3 billion Belmont Park redevelopment project on Feb. 18.

The changes — which officials from Empire State Development, the state agency that promotes development in New York, presented to the public in a virtual hearing on Dec. 21 — include relocating 25,000 square feet of the project’s “retail village” from a site north of Hempstead Turnpike to one south of the turnpike, and replacing a proposed parking structure beneath the retail village with a freestanding, six-story, above-ground structure...

To better serve shoppers at the retail village, as well as Islanders fans and concert-goers attending games and shows at the UBS Arena, the state has also agreed to build an above-ground parking structure with 1,500 parking spaces. Parking would be free for shoppers, and others would pay at designated pay stations. The parking structure would be accessible from the northbound Cross Island at Exit 26A, but southbound drivers would have to use Exit 26B and head east on Hempstead Turnpike to Gate 14...

The final change included in the 2020 Modification to the Belmont Park project is the addition of hydrogen fuel cell stations for the shuttle buses that would transport guests around the park and to and from the Elmont Long Island Rail Road station. The eastern platform of the station would be moved 125 feet west, and a barrier blocking motorists’ view of Floral Park residents’ backyards would be extended 55 feet, due to the location of existing utilities....'

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I suppose you can burn your money as you want.

There are going to be hoards of Islanders fans with gasoline engines parking in those spaces. Who's going to ticket them? What is the jurisdiction for parking? Are the Islanders going to tow season ticket holders with a gasoline engine?
Really hate to break this to you but the internal combustion engine has about as much a future as cable television does.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

You should go to Montreal's Bell Center upper deck. You're so high you're not there to see the game. You're there to look down and watch people watching a game.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You should go to Montreal's Bell Center upper deck. You're so high you're not there to see the game. You're there to look down and watch people watching a game.

True story. Was at Bell Center once (in the upper deck) and it felt like a borderline football stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad