UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I vote to have as the opening night a Two-Woman version of the Vagina Monologues hosted by Amy Fisher and Linda Lovelace . . . Can’t get more Long Island than that

Reactions: sabremike

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The hotel will most likely be an international brand, mid to higher end. Catering to international layovers at JFK. They should get strong contracts from the airlines too for employees.

The crappy Marriott Uniondale was actually a beacon for international flight crews. Smaller airlines would shuttle them to Uniondale Marriott and the Marriott would shuttle them to the mall a few miles north. They loved they layover.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The crappy Marriott Uniondale was actually a beacon for international flight crews. Smaller airlines would shuttle them to Uniondale Marriott and the Marriott would shuttle them to the mall a few miles north. They loved the layover.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The crappy Marriott Uniondale was actually a beacon for international flight crews. Smaller airlines would shuttle them to Uniondale Marriott and the Marriott would shuttle them to the mall a few miles north. They loved the layover.
Well, there’s nothing around JFK that anyone wants to stay at and based on exchange rates, most international carriers are on the wrong side of pricing...so that Marriott has aggressive rates for them. It’s also cheaper than putting people in Manhattan. Flight crews go where they are told if they want to use their per diem correctly.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The crappy Marriott Uniondale was actually a beacon for international flight crews. Smaller airlines would shuttle them to Uniondale Marriott and the Marriott would shuttle them to the mall a few miles north. They loved they layover.

Yup. Saw lots of that during stops at the Marriott for drinks.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
My Pet peeve at Barclays was the high railings, made the first five rows of each section worthless. So I'm looking at the picture on this page and if its true to scale it looks like there aren't rails but more like a traffic barrier going around the arena. WTF. Even the people in the picture appear to be standing up to look over it. I can't tell if the section we can see is like a club/eating section but it seems to go around the arena. If they are going to have only a solid structure that will meet todays ridiculous safety standards (height) I fear sight obstruction again.

I miss the days when we let the stupid fall by the wayside.

New York Islanders

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Wang doesn’t own the team anymore. We’re big time now. We get big time sponsorships. People with big time money.
The way they are pumping the arena setup for concerts looks like they spent a lot of time trying to find a way to drive NYC (aka MSG) business to Belmont - they needed a separator and so far you can see them promoting that to the market.

The arena location is a subtle but huge adjustment. The Isles are a piece of a grander plan, that’s fine, especially if it helps update this franchise in many ways.

Not the thread for it, but an often overlooked reason Wang bought the Isles was to alter his legacy since how he got his money was subject to scrutiny...saving the isles was good enough. Winning, not the priority.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The way they are pumping the arena setup for concerts looks like they spent a lot of time trying to find a way to drive NYC (aka MSG) business to Belmont - they needed a separator and so far you can see them promoting that to the market.
Oak View Group books concerts for Madison Square Garden as well as Prudential Center in Newark. It’s a fair bet that, for the time being, acts that want to play MSG will also have to play UBS Arena since Oak View is one of the partners of our arena ownership group.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Oak View Group books concerts for Madison Square Garden as well as Prudential Center in Newark. It’s a fair bet that, for the time being, acts that want to play MSG will also have to play UBS Arena since Oak View is one of the partners of our arena ownership group.
I thought OVG had Prudential, but not MSG. Maybe that was early on.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Little late to the party but myself (26) my brother (22) and my dad (56) are locked into our first season tickets for the Isles next season at Belmont! Section 309 Row 7, little higher up than we wanted to be but that's to be expected b/c we started the process to get tix a little late due to various personal circumstances. Regardless, very excited to be a first time STH at our new home with all of the other STH's!!!

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I couldn't believe it when UBS bought the naming rights. Honestly, part of me thought it would be the Teachers Federal Credit Union at Belmont.

Reactions: Costigan77

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wang doesn’t own the team anymore. We’re big time now. We get big time sponsorships. People with big time money.

Thank you.

When I was at games and they'd do the "Bagel Boss Toss" I'd cringe and sink into my seat...And I'm sitting amongst only Isles fans.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All true and all good, but the cap is still the cap. I wish had as much faith in our GM to manage it as I do in our owners and sponsors to bankroll it.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
My guy Eric Church said he's working on a tour starting in the fall. If that includes an appearance at Belmont, you'll bet your ass I'll be coming up to see the new digs.

I saw him at Barclays and they ran out of beer. I asked the beer guy how that's even possible - "you country people drink like fish!"

Reactions: TMI

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
It's hard to imagine a even a half of a lower bowl full. Long Island doesn't have a corporate presence to fill 56 suites.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's hard to imagine a even a half of a lower bowl full. Long Island doesn't have a corporate presence to fill 56 suites.
That's why Oak View Group is a valuable partner to Scott Malkin in this project. OVG will be able to bring the corporate customers to Belmont. Something the previous owner was never able to do.

Reactions: periferal

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's why Oak View Group is a valuable partner to Scott Malkin in this project. OVG will be able to bring the corporate customers to Belmont. Something the previous owner was never able to do.
Agree, that Malkin and Co. are critical on the corporate front. On the Wang front, there was never any desire to do anything other than own the team, build an arena (that's a big something of course), and be seen as the savior to the franchise. The last part was his true end game. He's known as the Islanders owner, not the founder of a company involved in an alleged massive accounting fraud that he directly benefited from.

Reactions: bigtim1988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad