UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If you really gotta go, you don't even need the TP if you've got the foliage - just have to make sure it's not sumac or something....

i-hate-when-that-happens.jpg

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Elmont LIRR station is on its way as questions remain

Posted November 24, 2020

By Melissa Koenig

With 11 months to go until its scheduled opening, Metropolitan Transportation Authority crews have completed the first major milestone in the construction of a new Elmont Long Island Rail Road Station, installing precast platform sections for eastbound trains in the North Lot of Belmont Park.
The station will serve riders on the Hempstead line, and will be halfway between the Queens Village and Bellerose stops. It will feature a pedestrian overpass, free Wi-Fi, digital screens, elevators, canopies, charging stations and shuttle buses for those heading to the new UBS Arena. One hundred fifty parking spaces at the station will be set aside for Elmont residents...

Last September, the MTA board added the project to its 2015-2019 capital plan, with the understanding that ESD would transfer $105 million from its budget to the transportation authority. ESD will contribute $75 million, with developers New York Arena Partners adding $30 million up front and reimbursing the state interest-free over the next 30 years, according to former Federal Transportation Administration official Larry Penner. The project is now fully funded, MTA officials said...

There have been no announcements about who will purchase, operate and maintain a fleet of shuttle buses that will serve 3,000 to 5,000 riders, he pointed out, and the bus manufacturers already have a backlog of up to two years for orders for other transit agencies...

Fastforward to today,

New York Islanders on Facebook Watch

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Had a zoom call with a VIP ticket agent for the Isles Tuesday (for something called the Loft Club). Was very helpful to see all the features and learn a lot more about the arena. He also sent me a follow up email, so I have some documents showing more detailed information on the whole arena as well as pricing for all the VIP sections (Loft Club, Spotlight Club, UBS Clubs & Boxes, 1905 Club).

Things I learned:

• If you buy a VIP package you will have access to the parking lots within walking distance to the arena, but if you get regular season tickets you will have to park in the lot north of the racetrack and shuttle over.
  • Not sure about regular season tickets, but if you buy any VIP season tix you have to commit to 3 years minimum. The longer you commit the less your annual season increases will be. I understand why the team is doing this and it's smart from their perspective.
  • If you purchase VIP ticket package you will get first access to concerts and events - Basically to buy those 2 same tickets for those other UBS Arena events.
  • The concert stage will be on the opposite side of where the Isles shoot twice so if you were buying VIP tickets with the thought of having access to them for concerts you may want to be slightly to the side of where the Isles shoot once.
  • The ticket rep must've mentioned Billy Joel, Disney on Ice and The Eagles like 6 times each so I specifically asked him what acts they already had agreements with and he said he couldn't say, but I'd say those are 2 of them for sure. Then when you look at the marketing materials they send over there's another dozen acts listed (like U2, Kevin Hart, NCAA (BBall tourney I assume), Maroon 5, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, UFC, Cirque de Soleil, Journey/Def Leppard, etc.).
  • He also mentioned that in addition to the arena being designed taking into account musical acts, that more of them will want to play here than at MSG because of the costs associated with performing in NYC and that the acts will be able to make more money at Belmont.
  • There are suites UNDERNEATH the seats right up against the glass (behind the penalty boxes). So you can buy an entire suite and get like 8 seats (4 and 4) right up against the glass with a private staircase down into a suite where you'll have food, drink, and I assume bathrooms. I had never heard of that before.
  • Also that is why you're going to see the seats up against the ice have more space than in any other arena. They view the extra/more spacious area as a perk for those spending tons more than usual to be in the first row. Personally I don't love this as you don't want to see additional "space" where passionate fans should be.
  • This also makes me concerned that most all of the center/lower-bowl tickets are hi-end/premium seating so they are more expensive and corporations might gobble them up and/or maybe just wealthy fans who are more casual fans giving tickets to games they don't want to clients/friends/etc. Thus you might have less passionate attendees at the game leading to a less passionate, and raucous, crowd.

Overall what stuck out to me is that, much like all of the modern arenas these days, there are some high end seating which means high end pricing. It further made me realize what a blue-collar fanbase the Isles are and that most of us couldn't, or wouldn't, spend the kind of dollars needed to get 2, much less 4, seats in any of the VIP areas.

Therefore I think there's going to be an adding of a "higher-end" fanbase - One that's going to be more affluent. The reality is that the Coliseum wasn't a long-term viable option for a home on any level - But especially financially. A brand new shiny arena with modern amenities lets the team sell a higher-end product that no renovated Coliseum could ever do. It's all necessary for the Isles to be able to compete with the modern-day finances of the NHL, but I think some of the simplicity/innocence of the Coliseum vibe is definitely going to be lost. Don't get me wrong...When you add it all up I am very happy about the new arena, direction of the Isles, and that they are FINALLY being run like a first-class organization. Just want to make sure us insane fans are all there when we want to be continuing to give them the home-ice advantage that we have been known for for decades.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Had a zoom call with a VIP ticket agent for the Isles Tuesday (for something called the Loft Club). Was very helpful to see all the features and learn a lot more about the arena. He also sent me a follow up email, so I have some documents showing more detailed information on the whole arena as well as pricing for all the VIP sections (Loft Club, Spotlight Club, UBS Clubs & Boxes, 1905 Club).

Things I learned:

• If you buy a VIP package you will have access to the parking lots within walking distance to the arena, but if you get regular season tickets you will have to park in the lot north of the racetrack and shuttle over.
  • Not sure about regular season tickets, but if you buy any VIP season tix you have to commit to 3 years minimum. The longer you commit the less your annual season increases will be. I understand why the team is doing this and it's smart from their perspective.
  • If you purchase VIP ticket package you will get first access to concerts and events - Basically to buy those 2 same tickets for those other UBS Arena events.
  • The concert stage will be on the opposite side of where the Isles shoot twice so if you were buying VIP tickets with the thought of having access to them for concerts you may want to be slightly to the side of where the Isles shoot once.
  • The ticket rep must've mentioned Billy Joel, Disney on Ice and The Eagles like 6 times each so I specifically asked him what acts they already had agreements with and he said he couldn't say, but I'd say those are 2 of them for sure. Then when you look at the marketing materials they send over there's another dozen acts listed (like U2, Kevin Hart, NCAA (BBall tourney I assume), Maroon 5, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, UFC, Cirque de Soleil, Journey/Def Leppard, etc.).
  • He also mentioned that in addition to the arena being designed taking into account musical acts, that more of them will want to play here than at MSG because of the costs associated with performing in NYC and that the acts will be able to make more money at Belmont.
  • There are suites UNDERNEATH the seats right up against the glass (behind the penalty boxes). So you can buy an entire suite and get like 8 seats (4 and 4) right up against the glass with a private staircase down into a suite where you'll have food, drink, and I assume bathrooms. I had never heard of that before.
  • Also that is why you're going to see the seats up against the ice have more space than in any other arena. They view the extra/more spacious area as a perk for those spending tons more than usual to be in the first row. Personally I don't love this as you don't want to see additional "space" where passionate fans should be.
  • This also makes me concerned that most all of the center/lower-bowl tickets are hi-end/premium seating so they are more expensive and corporations might gobble them up and/or maybe just wealthy fans who are more casual fans giving tickets to games they don't want to clients/friends/etc. Thus you might have less passionate attendees at the game leading to a less passionate, and raucous, crowd.

Overall what stuck out to me is that, much like all of the modern arenas these days, there are some high end seating which means high end pricing. It further made me realize what a blue-collar fanbase the Isles are and that most of us couldn't, or wouldn't, spend the kind of dollars needed to get 2, much less 4, seats in any of the VIP areas.

Therefore I think there's going to be an adding of a "higher-end" fanbase - One that's going to be more affluent. The reality is that the Coliseum wasn't a long-term viable option for a home on any level - But especially financially. A brand new shiny arena with modern amenities lets the team sell a higher-end product that no renovated Coliseum could ever do. It's all necessary for the Isles to be able to compete with the modern-day finances of the NHL, but I think some of the simplicity/innocence of the Coliseum vibe is definitely going to be lost. Don't get me wrong...When you add it all up I am very happy about the new arena, direction of the Isles, and that they are FINALLY being run like a first-class organization. Just want to make sure us insane fans are all there when we want to be continuing to give them the home-ice advantage that we have been known for for decades.

That underneath seating is interesting, almost like what the Mets have in rightfield. You're field level and watch the game through the fence, with access to food/drinks at a bar behind you. And of course, TV's everywhere.

Wonder if that's the first of its kind in an arena setting for hockey?

Thanks for the info Perif!

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Things I learned:

I don't like seats right up against the glass where the fans can get in the way when the puck is on the wall, so I'm not too upset if that's what you're describing as space. Interesting notes, appreciate the info!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't like seats right up against the glass where the fans can get in the way when the puck is on the wall, so I'm not too upset if that's what you're describing as space. Interesting notes, appreciate the info!

You're welcome.

Actually if you're saying that fans up against the glass block your view on the TV then this might solve that issue, but it requires the fans in the first row to stay in their seats because that whole space is theirs and they could just stand up, walk right up to the glass (which is probably only an additional 3 feet away), and still be a disruption.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Things I learned:

Thanks Perif this was a great summary. I got my seats early on, Section 116 row 7 seats 1 & 2. When I bought them I was only guaranteed pre-sales for other events. A few weeks ago they sent an email that I will be guaranteed my seats for concerts/events if I want them. I haven't spoken to my rep since then and was meaning to ask about where the stage will be at Now seeing that it will be at my end of the ice, you made my day! Now it is even less likely my wife leaves me for my 7 year impulse buy for these seats (some guys buy a car for their mid life crisis, I drive a Honda Accord , spent it all on Isles seats).

Reactions: Shiba and periferal

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is pretty cool. Personally, I hate sitting on the glass because I don’t like the view from there but for people into that this is pretty cool.

There are suites UNDERNEATH the seats right up against the glass (behind the penalty boxes). So you can buy an entire suite and get like 8 seats (4 and 4) right up against the glass with a private staircase down into a suite where you'll have food, drink, and I assume bathrooms. I had never heard of that before.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Thanks Perif this was a great summary. I got my seats early on, Section 116 row 7 seats 1 & 2. When I bought them I was only guaranteed pre-sales for other events. A few weeks ago they sent an email that I will be guaranteed my seats for concerts/events if I want them. I haven't spoken to my rep since then and was meaning to ask about where the stage will be at Now seeing that it will be at my end of the ice, you made my day! Now it is even less likely my wife leaves me for my 7 year impulse buy for these seats (some guys buy a car for their mid life crisis, I drive a Honda Accord , spent it all on Isles seats).

You slayed that midlife crisis bro! Good choice!

Reactions: 19 in a row

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Correct me if I am wrong but where is there a lot north of the racetrack? Directly north of the arena is the final turn of the racetrack and then the railroad tracks. I imagine the ticket rep meant the giant lot south of hempstead turnpike that the general public uses for the racetrack now.

Also the train station location is incredibly intriguing to me. I wonder if the LIRR will run any special trains to the "old" station thats literally next to the arena for big events. Unless they build a new interlocking I believe only hempstead trains can stop at the Elmont station heading eastbound while Huntington and Ronkonkoma trains can only access the station heading westbound with the current position of switches.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Correct me if I am wrong but where is there a lot north of the racetrack? Directly north of the arena is the final turn of the racetrack and then the railroad tracks. I imagine the ticket rep meant the giant lot south of hempstead turnpike that the general public uses for the racetrack now.

Also the train station location is incredibly intriguing to me. I wonder if the LIRR will run any special trains to the "old" station thats literally next to the arena for big events. Unless they build a new interlocking I believe only hempstead trains can stop at the Elmont station heading eastbound while Huntington and Ronkonkoma trains can only access the station heading westbound with the current position of switches.

I think it's this? I parked there for the Stakes in 2011, so much could have changed.

upload_2020-12-2_11-32-51.png

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
I heard that the walk from the train will be covered or a tunnel type walkway and only about .7 miles. The train will also have shuttle's to the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->