OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Yeah I think it was with me. I've lived in Ohio City (part of Cleveland where Great Lakes and Nano are) for 6 years. The brewery scene in that area has blown up.

Also heads up. If anyone does come to Cleveland to go to Great Lakes and also likes Thirsty Dog from Akron, they just opened up a brewpub in the Flats area of Cleveland. I haven't made it there yet, but I've heard it's pretty cool.

I used to live within smelling distance of Great Lakes. Man, I miss it. Great Lakes has always been one of my favorite mid sized breweries and the micro brew scene there has exploded the past 2-3 years. If you havent you should try Masthead.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I’m not that big of a sam adams fan, but I am having an old fezziwig and it is surprisingly good.

Sam Adams has some decent holiday seasonals. I really wish they still bottled their Gingerbread Stout.

I would like to try some of Hardywood Brewery's Gingerbread Stout line. They have 6 or 7 different aged versions as well. No distribution to PA though, so I would have to take a drive to Virginia.

Picked up a bottle of Maple Bourbon Barrel Bocctahne Imperial Stout from Insurrection Aleworks on Friday. Haven't opened it yet, but looking forward to trying it.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I used to live within smelling distance of Great Lakes. Man, I miss it. Great Lakes has always been one of my favorite mid sized breweries and the micro brew scene there has exploded the past 2-3 years. If you havent you should try Masthead.

I haven't made my way to masthead yet, but I plan to. You're right the scene has exploded. My list of places to visit keeps getting longer. Masthead and Noble Beast are at the top.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m not that big of a sam adams fan, but I am having an old fezziwig and it is surprisingly good.

I had Octoberfest about 10 years ago and really loved it but that was before I knew what good beer was so not sure if I’d still enjoy it. Do they still make it (it was seasonal back then)?

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I had Octoberfest about 10 years ago and really loved it but that was before I knew what good beer was so not sure if I’d still enjoy it. Do they still make it (it was seasonal back then)?
I think they still make it as a seasonal. I don’t usually buy their stuff, but will go for it at a party or a bar if the alternatives are American macros.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Boring game, breaking out the Great Lakes Blackout Stout. One of my dads favorites.

I just moved up to the Twin Cities. They really like to talk about all their breweries, and there are a ton up here. But it seems like more quantity than quality and I find myself skipping the local brews more and more.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm thinking up some places to go this evening/tonight that I haven't been to. Sadly, I probably won't be able to decide what to do and I'll end up staying in. :(

Nied's Hotel in Larryville, Hitchhiker in Sharpsburg, Cinderlands back in Larryville, Bulldog Pub in Morningside...

I just don't know.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm thinking up some places to go this evening/tonight that I haven't been to. Sadly, I probably won't be able to decide what to do and I'll end up staying in. :(

Nied's Hotel in Larryville, Hitchhiker in Sharpsburg, Cinderlands back in Larryville, Bulldog Pub in Morningside...

I just don't know.

I almost did nothing yesterday. Instead, I went to Tina's (formerly Teabag's) in Bloomfield. I think a bartender has taken a liking to me.

I was at a restaurant yesterday that had KBS. it was $30 for a bottle. That seemed a bit excessive

Also, hidden harbor is a cool spot in squirrel hill

Yes, I'm a fan of rum drinks and Hidden Harbor. Independent next door is decent as well.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was at a restaurant yesterday that had KBS. it was $30 for a bottle. That seemed a bit excessive

Also, hidden harbor is a cool spot in squirrel hill

A 12 oz bottle of KBS? Definitely way excessive, even considering the markup in a bar. Sure it wasn't CBS?

Hidden Harbor is very nice, haven't been there in a while, but I enjoy rum.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
A 12 oz bottle of KBS? Definitely way excessive, even considering the markup in a bar. Sure it wasn't CBS?

Hidden Harbor is very nice, haven't been there in a while, but I enjoy rum.
Nah it was definitely KBS. Unless their menu was wrong but I can't imagine that was the case.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Some Drambuie on a cold winter night after coming in the house....warms you right up. 80 proof liqueur will do that. lol

drambuie-honey-liqueur.jpg

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Does anyone here drink port wine? I don’t drink wine very often. When I do I will usually pick a dry red. The other night I had a little glass of Cockburns 20 year tawny after dinner and I was really impressed. I couldn’t find it at my store, but picked up a Ruby port that I like, but not as much as the tawny. Any recommendations?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->