OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Around this time of the year, I tend to like Bourbo a lot more. I have my Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Buffalo Trace. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Don't have a lot of experience with the harder stuff, but I do recall liking liking Jefferson's and Buffalo Trace.

I really liked the dogfish head one. I thought that I would like it the least. It reminded me of a double ipa that Great Lakes made or still makes. I don’t recall the name, but I had it maybe 4 years ago.
The Rogue had a good flavor, but is sweeter than I like for beers. It has a strong hazelnut smell and flavor.
There is something about the Anchor beer that I am not crazy about. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I think the taste of the hops and one of the spices clashes to my palate. It is smooth and has a good mouthfeel though.

Thanks, I tried Mad Elf for the first time last year. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to picking up some this year. I almost picked the great lakes beer instead of the anchor. I will have to try it soon too. I am impressed by great lakes. Everything I have tried from them has been solid.

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster? That used to be one of my favorite IPA's. Had a hard time finding it this year, but I finally saw some last week. (It's usually out around June/July).

Great Lakes and Troegs are 2 of my favorite larger scales breweries. They both have very good, well rounded lineups.

Picked up some Brooklyn Pale Ale Orange Peel. Not my favorite of theirs, definitly would not recommend. I can't recall any IPA's of theirs that I have really liked, but all their darker stuff is usually pretty good. Pumpkin Ale, Black Ops, and their coffee stout are especially good.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Just saw there is a new version of Mad Elf out this year, The Mad Elf Grand Cru, looks to be 11% ABV. Brewed with demerara sugar and tart Balaton cherries. Available in bombers.

Will be on the lookout for this one for sure.

Maybe Great Lakes will ship their bourbon barrel Christmas Ale this year too.

Reactions: StaalForOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just saw there is a new version of Mad Elf out this year, The Mad Elf Grand Cru, looks to be 11% ABV. Brewed with demerara sugar and tart Balaton cherries. Available in bombers.

Will be on the lookout for this one for sure.

Maybe Great Lakes will ship their bourbon barrel Christmas Ale this year too.

Wait WHAT? Is it sour? I want it. Keep me posted on when it's available

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Don't have a lot of experience with the harder stuff, but I do recall liking liking Jefferson's and Buffalo Trace.

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster? That used to be one of my favorite IPA's. Had a hard time finding it this year, but I finally saw some last week. (It's usually out around June/July).
I don’t think it was Lake Erie Monster, but maybe. I feel like I read that this one had to change names for some reason. All I really remember about this ipa is that it had a fruity pineapple taste and was slightly sticky. Idk if that makes sense. I am not great at describing beer flavors haha

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wait WHAT? Is it sour? I want it. Keep me posted on when it's available

I think it's more of a Belgian style from what I saw. It was supposed to start shipping to stores yesterday, so hopefully within the next week or two.

I also saw that Thirsty Dog has a bourbon barrel aged version of
12 Dogs of Christmas out. Very tempting.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don’t think it was Lake Erie Monster, but maybe. I feel like I read that this one had to change names for some reason. All I really remember about this ipa is that it had a fruity pineapple taste and was slightly sticky. Idk if that makes sense. I am not great at describing beer flavors haha
Yeah it's called Chillwave now, used to be Alchemy Hour. That's a great one, agreed.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ive had a back and fourth in the thread, or a prior version, before but Cleveland was a pretty cool craft destination. Worth taking a weekend trip too. Great Lakes and Nano were my favorites.

Went to a local tasting tongiht for barrel aged beers. Had tasters of the following:
Hamburg Grounded (2015)
Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout
Dark Horse Scotty Karate
Genesee Piolot Batch Reisky & Spies
Stone W00tstout

The Genesee, Stone, and Hamburg were my favorites

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Have two bottles left of Great Lakes Oktoberfest. Probably my favorite overall beer and Im sad that theyre gone.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
The Commons closed for good today. That's a shame as I think they were one of the best in Portland.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone that can recommend good polish vodka or good vodka in general?

Belvedere - Fairly smooth, no "cleaning product" smell like Grey Goose.
Grey Goose - Ok if you mix it.
Ketel One - Not too bad, I find it's almost an in betweener of Belvedere & Goose, sort of has that chemical smell, but its smoother than GG.
Stolichnaya -It's ok, probably the cheapest one you can get that isn't gross. I don't mind it, if you like Flavored vodka, they probably do it better than anyone, I like normal, but I wouldn't say no to the strasberi one.
Tito's - It's not bad for an American Vodka (Austin, Texas), price range is around what Stoli is, pretty smooth (corn made).
Żubrówka - I find it sweet, my gf likes this one a lot.

My preference for Vodka is always Belvedere, I like that it's smoother, I like it straight or on the rocks over any of the other ones I've tasted, it's probably the only Vodka I prefer not to mix (when I say mix, I mix it with club soda...).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ive had a back and fourth in the thread, or a prior version, before but Cleveland was a pretty cool craft destination. Worth taking a weekend trip too. Great Lakes and Nano were my favorites.

Went to a local tasting tongiht for barrel aged beers. Had tasters of the following:
Hamburg Grounded (2015)
Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout
Dark Horse Scotty Karate
Genesee Piolot Batch Reisky & Spies
Stone W00tstout

The Genesee, Stone, and Hamburg were my favorites

Yeah I think it was with me. I've lived in Ohio City (part of Cleveland where Great Lakes and Nano are) for 6 years. The brewery scene in that area has blown up.

Also heads up. If anyone does come to Cleveland to go to Great Lakes and also likes Thirsty Dog from Akron, they just opened up a brewpub in the Flats area of Cleveland. I haven't made it there yet, but I've heard it's pretty cool.

Reactions: StaalForOne

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I just picked up a sixer of great lakes christmas ale and jailbreak brewing co the white russian. I never had either before. They had mad elf for $16.99 I ended up passing on it.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I just picked up a sixer of great lakes christmas ale and jailbreak brewing co the white russian. I never had either before. They had mad elf for $16.99 I ended up passing on it.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale is one of my favorite beers.

I'll be stopping tomorrow. You said it's in a can?

They are in bombers. They had the cases stacked on the floor right next to the register in the beer section, $14.99 a bomber.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just picked up some Yeungling cans. It's fine.

It's funny, they don't have Yuengling in Louisville (where I travel for work) and people there talk about how they stock up on it when they find it.

I actually went to Draai Laag not long ago and actually really enjoyed a sour. I don't think I'd want to drink more than one or two, but it was tasty. Grist House was really good too.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Great Lakes Christmas Ale is one of my favorite beers.

Ive always like the 12 Dogs of Christmas from Thirsty Dog better. One of their main brewers used to work for Great Lakes and they have a similar taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->